Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cc touring gear questions

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-10-18, 05:19 PM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have finished building my light/ CC touring bike with 2 exceptions. I need a decent mirror for a drop bar and a reasonably secure set of panniers to go on a Salsa rear rack. Hopefully you can help!
Old 10-11-18, 09:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
A set of Ortlieb Sportspacker (optional Plus) can be secured to most any rack, and it's nicely sized for a few changes of clothes, toiletries, and room for an extra water bladder if you're riding where you can refill every 25 miles.
Old 10-11-18, 10:18 AM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I agree about the Ortlieb panniers, although you may want a larger size. Any Ortlieb rolltop style pannier is an excellent choice and, once setup properly, their mounting system will stick to your rack no matter how bumpy the road surface.

As to the mirror, you don't say if you're using bar-end shifters. If not, there are several choices that work. Google bike mirrors and choose one with a large mirror surface. When I had bar-end shifters, I initially used a Blackburn mirror which attached to my brake housing. I later switched to a helmet mounted mirror (Efficient Velo Tools Safe Zone Helmet Mirror) which I like best of all the mirrors I've used. It's expensive (~$40), and takes some getting used to, but provides a consistent clear view behind you.

In the end, it's a matter of preference. I'm sure others here will chime in with their thoughts.
Old 10-11-18, 10:11 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Safe Zone mirror is well worth the $$ IMO.
Old 10-13-18, 11:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I have seen bikes using a mirror mounted just under the drop bar brake lever
often this one Also from Ortlieb's USA distributor..

Old 10-13-18, 09:50 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Large panniers seem like they would be overkill for CC touring. I would think something small and light like the Arkel dry light would be preferable. Light weight, completely waterproof, and not as much wind resistance as comes with larger bags. Some of those and a rando front rack top bag(for quick access things, snacks, valuables) seem like a great pair for CC touring.
Old 10-16-18, 04:58 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
If you don't have bar end shifters, the Sprintech bar end mirror has worked well for me. The view on bar end mirrors isn't that great but I've tried helmet and glasses-mount mirrors and always end up breaking them pretty quickly. The Sprintech has survived my rough handling very well.
Old 10-16-18, 05:06 AM
jargo432

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ogre, Steamroller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I tried mounting a mirror on my handle bars I would get so much vibration I couldn't see anything. For those recommending the bar end types, How do you stop the vibration?
Old 10-16-18, 07:44 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Large panniers seem like they would be overkill for CC touring. I would think something small and light like the Arkel dry light would be preferable. Light weight, completely waterproof, and not as much wind resistance as comes with larger bags. Some of those and a rando front rack top bag(for quick access things, snacks, valuables) seem like a great pair for CC touring.
indeedee

the Arkels aren't super tough, so you just have to use common sense with packing and sharp edged objects, but they are super light, completely water proof and as you say, have a smaller profile.
Only downside is not easy on, easy off, but for cc stuff, generally you'll have the bike with you in a hotel room, so even easier to just leave them on.

Snow--how about a photo of your bike?

ultimately, for rear panniers, there are tons of good ones out there, I personally put an emphasis on waterproofness, and there are many models out there by various companies that will be fine for your use.

I can't remember snow if you have toured before? I guess not if you are looking for panniers. If there is a chance that you will use panniers for commuting etc in the future, it makes sense to get some well made, easy on easy off panniers that will get used by you in the future.
Old 10-16-18, 08:07 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Agree on the large bags. I replaced my Ortleib Backrollers with Ortleib Frontrollers. Even for camping-tours. Just did a CC trip down part of the Katy, and my gear was in a handlebar roll, with a soft-sided cooler strapped to the rear rack. Fortunately my bike has all kinds of gear storage options including a frame bag and fork cages, but that stuff usually doesn't get used unless there's camping involved. For credit card touring, small panniers or a handlebar roll seems to do the trick. Maybe both if the weather might turn cold because cold weather gear takes up more space.
Old 10-17-18, 04:24 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by jargo432
Every time I tried mounting a mirror on my handle bars I would get so much vibration I couldn't see anything. For those recommending the bar end types, How do you stop the vibration?
My Trek Domane has an elastomer doo dad where the stem meets the frame and it dampens a lot of the road buzz - since I've only used a bar end mirror with that bike, vibration in the mirror hasn't been a problem.
Old 10-17-18, 04:11 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Pics or didn't happen.