Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Broken left ankle is getting better!

Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Broken left ankle is getting better!

Old 12-02-18, 05:53 PM
  #1  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Broken left ankle is getting better!

October 23: suffered an avulsion fracrure to the left distal fibula.

December 2: left foot and ankle are looking better.

If the doctor clears me I may even try a Christmas Day ride...that would be a great present.



eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 06:21 PM
  #2  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,908

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I hope you have been working on your waving technique whilst you have been unable to ride.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 06:51 PM
  #3  
bogydave
Senior Member
 
bogydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ALASKA , SoCal
Posts: 903

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Looks good to go
bogydave is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 07:07 PM
  #4  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
I hope you have been working on your waving technique whilst you have been unable to ride.
Ah, it wouldn’t be a complete thread without the wave.

eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 07:08 PM
  #5  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave View Post
Looks good to go
It feels good too.

How are things in Alaska?
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 09:05 PM
  #6  
jppe
Let's do a Century
 
jppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7,392

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Glad you are recovering!
jppe is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 10:54 PM
  #7  
bogydave
Senior Member
 
bogydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ALASKA , SoCal
Posts: 903

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post


It feels good too.

How are things in Alaska?
wife says all ok,
She sent me to SoCal for a few weeks &
I missed the fun.

some damage but
everything working normally .
bogydave is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 10:55 PM
  #8  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,749
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Blimey, eja... you too! Use 50-plus lo haven't so well this year. Hopefully, we're all back to really decent challenging rides in 2019.
Rowan is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 11:40 AM
  #9  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave View Post


wife says all ok,
She sent me to SoCal for a few weeks &
I missed the fun.

some damage but
everything working normally .
Stick around here for a while and you will get to have some “fun.”

The Big One is just around the corner. And, sadly, we are not well prepared.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 11:43 AM
  #10  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Blimey, eja... you too! Use 50-plus lo haven't so well this year. Hopefully, we're all back to really decent challenging rides in 2019.
Yep, it kinda sucks getting old(er).

And it was not even cycling related.

Between getting stent #7 in July and now the broken ankle, 2018 has not been a banner year.

2019 has to be better for all of us, right?

You take care my friend.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 12:38 PM
  #11  
bogydave
Senior Member
 
bogydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ALASKA , SoCal
Posts: 903

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post


Stick around here for a while and you will get to have some “fun.”

The Big One is just around the corner. And, sadly, we are not well prepared.
Yea, many unknowns, difficult
weeks supply of “stuff” a good start.
bogydave is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 02:05 PM
  #12  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,889

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 101 Posts
good luck! I had an avulsion fraction on my heel. ppl were giving me a hard time cuz there was no cast. anyway, even tho it "healed" I still had "discomfort" for quite some time after, like walking along a slanted beach on my honeymoon

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-03-18 at 02:14 PM.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 03:18 PM
  #13  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post


Yep, it kinda sucks getting old(er).

And it was not even cycling related.

Between getting stent #7 in July and now the broken ankle, 2018 has not been a banner year.

2019 has to be better for all of us, right?

You take care my friend.
Cripes! Hope things recover well/completely ... and quickly.

Echo the sentiment ... what's going on this year? @Rowan has been through hell; @jppe and many others, self included, have pretty much lost an entire riding season -- in my case, a complete washout since last April 13th apart from piddling around on the MUP now and then. Annus horribilis, as our constitutional head of state once said.

Let us hope indeed that 2019 marks a turn for the better!
badger1 is offline  
Old 12-04-18, 10:08 AM
  #14  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave View Post


Yea, many unknowns, difficult
weeks supply of “stuff” a good start.
And, if you have pets don’t forget to add plenty of their food and additional water to the emergency stash.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-04-18, 10:10 AM
  #15  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
good luck! I had an avulsion fraction on my heel. ppl were giving me a hard time cuz there was no cast. anyway, even tho it "healed" I still had "discomfort" for quite some time after, like walking along a slanted beach on my honeymoon
Did you have to wear a boot?

I am wearing one and it is a total PITA, but it helps keep the ankle stable.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-04-18, 10:20 AM
  #16  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,889

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Did you have to wear a boot?
I am wearing one and it is a total PITA, but it helps keep the ankle stable.
no, I guess because it was just a chip off the bottom of the heel. I suspect your ankle is a bit more complex. I'd encourage to to be a good patient & not so eager. 'bout 6 years ago, my daughter had an avulsion fracture of her thumb from playing softball. she got a hard cast, then a velcro brace & it bothered her for quite some time afterwards. of course she doesn't give it a 2nd thought except that the bone chip that tore free, is sitting just above where it once was, so she can feel it with her other hand if she goes looking for it
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 12-04-18, 12:22 PM
  #17  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Cripes! Hope things recover well/completely ... and quickly.

Echo the sentiment ... what's going on this year? @Rowan has been through hell; @jppe and many others, self included, have pretty much lost an entire riding season -- in my case, a complete washout since last April 13th apart from piddling around on the MUP now and then. Annus horribilis, as our constitutional head of state once said.

Let us hope indeed that 2019 marks a turn for the better!
Thank you for the good wishes. The year 2018 will go down in infamy. It started with the Thomas Fire and the Montecito mudslides (which didn’t directly impact me but which impacted friends and made air quality real bad).

Then stent #7 and the broken ankle. To end it (sort of) were the Hill and Woolsey fires (although I live in an area between these two fires, I was not directly impacted, but friends and family eere).

Next year has got to be a better one, for all us.

Peace and love!
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-04-18, 12:32 PM
  #18  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
no, I guess because it was just a chip off the bottom of the heel. I suspect your ankle is a bit more complex. I'd encourage to to be a good patient & not so eager. 'bout 6 years ago, my daughter had an avulsion fracture of her thumb from playing softball. she got a hard cast, then a velcro brace & it bothered her for quite some time afterwards. of course she doesn't give it a 2nd thought except that the bone chip that tore free, is sitting just above where it once was, so she can feel it with her other hand if she goes looking for it
I am sorry to hear about your daughter’s injury. My youngest daughter is a total jock and, consequently, suffered a few injuries.

She is not a good patient, and neither am I (though I am getting better with age).

Your advice to take it easy and let Nature run its course is sound advice. Thanks.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-05-18, 10:26 AM
  #19  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,630

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Cripes! Hope things recover well/completely ... and quickly.

Echo the sentiment ... what's going on this year? @Rowan has been through hell; @jppe and many others, self included, have pretty much lost an entire riding season -- in my case, a complete washout since last April 13th apart from piddling around on the MUP now and then. Annus horribilis, as our constitutional head of state once said.

Let us hope indeed that 2019 marks a turn for the better!
Yea, in a lot of respects, I'll be glad to see 2018 in my rear view mirror too. Stuff happens, but it happens more often the older you get.

Foot/ankle injuries are tough ... glad you're on the mend!
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
www.photo395.com
Biker395 is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 09:41 PM
  #20  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Yea, in a lot of respects, I'll be glad to see 2018 in my rear view mirror too. Stuff happens, but it happens more often the older you get.

Foot/ankle injuries are tough ... glad you're on the mend!
Today I was able to do one hour of Zwifting (even managed a handful of PRs). The good news?

I was able to use a cleated shoe on my left foot (the one with the broken ankle). I did not use my regular LOOK pedals. Instead I fitted one of my bikes with Shimano SPD style pedals. I have an old pair of Shimano shoes and that is what I used. The Shimano SPD cleats don’t require the same clip in-twist out motion of LOOK pedals. That makes getting in and out of the pedal easier on the ankle.

If all goes well at my next ortho appointment I may be able to go out riding before the end of the year...maybe by Christmas.

Thank you everyone who wrote with good wishes, suggestions and encoragement. You guys rock.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 09:41 AM
  #21  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,889

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 101 Posts
wow, encouraging!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 12-12-18, 01:10 AM
  #22  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,749
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post

Thank you everyone who wrote with good wishes, suggestions and encoragement. You guys rock.
Yep, they sure do!

Just a little advice... don't put yourself at ambitious risk because it could hurt again.

One of the big issues for me riding a trainer was the need to use a full framed bike rather than Bike Friday. That gave me a bit of issue getting, and major getting off with the back injury that affects my left leg's ability to stand by itself..

I've survived it all, but am (very slowly) building flat timber stands that would put a rider's feet similar to road height, a pair for each side of my and Machka's bikes. I have also done a pair for my rollers when I am ready enough to tackle them again with my CF Merlin.
Rowan is offline  
Old 12-12-18, 05:34 AM
  #23  
cb400bill
Administrator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 16,447

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 (carbon fiber), Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Cannondale Synapse (aluminum)

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Thread moved to Pills and Ills.
cb400bill is offline  
Old 12-12-18, 08:35 AM
  #24  
jppe
Let's do a Century
 
jppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7,392

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Yea, in a lot of respects, I'll be glad to see 2018 in my rear view mirror too. Stuff happens, but it happens more often the older you get

AMEN!!! 2018 had some unwanted surprises here as well!!

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post


Today I was able to do one hour of Zwifting (even managed a handful of PRs). The good news?

I was able to use a cleated shoe on my left foot (the one with the broken ankle). I did not use my regular LOOK pedals. Instead I fitted one of my bikes with Shimano SPD style pedals. I have an old pair of Shimano shoes and that is what I used. The Shimano SPD cleats don’t require the same clip in-twist out motion of LOOK pedals. That makes getting in and out of the pedal easier on the ankle.

If all goes well at my next ortho appointment I may be able to go out riding before the end of the year...maybe by Christmas.

Thank you everyone who wrote with good wishes, suggestions and encoragement. You guys rock.
Congratulations!!!!

Enjoy the trainer time. It’s just a prelude for more outside fun soon!
jppe is offline  
Old 12-12-18, 08:44 AM
  #25  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Yep, they sure do!

Just a little advice... don't put yourself at ambitious risk because it could hurt again.

One of the big issues for me riding a trainer was the need to use a full framed bike rather than Bike Friday. That gave me a bit of issue getting, and major getting off with the back injury that affects my left leg's ability to stand by itself..

I've survived it all, but am (very slowly) building flat timber stands that would put a rider's feet similar to road height, a pair for each side of my and Machka's bikes. I have also done a pair for my rollers when I am ready enough to tackle them again with my CF Merlin.
Rowan, as usual great advice from someone who has been there and done it all.

I do tend to push for fast recoveries. That worked well when I was younger. At the ripe “old” age of 62, I have learned to take it easy...well, easier.

Thanks.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.