Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Libelium Smart World

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Libelium Smart World

Old 12-19-18, 07:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Libelium Smart World

It's the way the world is going! So how might sensor applications, smart roads, etc. lend itself to fewer motor vehicles on the road, or more efficient use of transportation systems?

Libelium - Connecting Sensors to the Cloud
Top 50 Internet of Things Applications - Ranking | Libelium

Old 12-19-18, 10:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
The high price we pay for wine quality enhancement.
Old 12-19-18, 10:39 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It's the way the world is going! So how might sensor applications, smart roads, etc. lend itself to fewer motor vehicles on the road, or more efficient use of transportation systems?

Libelium - Connecting Sensors to the Cloud
Top 50 Internet of Things Applications - Ranking | Libelium

Yes continuous monitoring and quality control of the world and humans is inevitable.
Bit of a tangent from from transportation question ..
We are quickly approaching the singularity with high probability that the machines will be in control.
Old 12-19-18, 03:01 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Yellow vest protestors will be able to know when the government is re-opening toll booths so they can go burn them down again.
Old 12-26-18, 10:11 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
With enough sensors covering every action, TPTB will be able to incarcerate an ever increasing percentage of the population, leading ultimately to fewer vehicles on the road.
Old 12-27-18, 01:52 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by jon c.
With enough sensors covering every action, TPTB will be able to incarcerate an ever increasing percentage of the population, leading ultimately to fewer vehicles on the road.
But what if sensors are developed to sense the presence of sensors and/or disrupt their functioning? How much would you be willing to pay for a sensor-sensor that disrupts other sensors from spying on you?

What does "TPTB" stand for, btw?
Old 12-27-18, 02:01 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
The Powers That Be
Old 12-29-18, 09:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Centurylink long distance and internet across America (and some Verizon that relies on their network, possibly Cable One) were down from 2am Pacific Thursday into Friday here for internet and full service wasn't restored nationwide until sometime today, couldn't even reach customer service or operators)...I couldn't even call my mom 40 miles away.

If you can't find a manual can opener and pork and beans you're in trouble. Credit card terminals were down, checks had to be accepted and the old standby imprinter machines for cards that are now frowned on for fraud risks had to be used again

It was 1974 all over again and awfully lonely.

You don't realize what a crock it is until this stuff breaks. One part went and coast to coast is crapola.
Old 12-30-18, 10:39 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Centurylink long distance and internet across America (and some Verizon that relies on their network, possibly Cable One) were down from 2am Pacific Thursday into Friday here for internet and full service wasn't restored nationwide until sometime today, couldn't even reach customer service or operators)...I couldn't even call my mom 40 miles away.

If you can't find a manual can opener and pork and beans you're in trouble. Credit card terminals were down, checks had to be accepted and the old standby imprinter machines for cards that are now frowned on for fraud risks had to be used again

It was 1974 all over again and awfully lonely.

You don't realize what a crock it is until this stuff breaks. One part went and coast to coast is crapola.
Maybe having more sensors placed along the lines could help find out where and what the problems are more quickly so they can be fixed faster.
Old 12-30-18, 05:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
They really do, those are called other hubs and routers. This was a maintenance issue and might have been found earlier with regular testing.
Old 12-31-18, 05:56 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollfast
If you can't find a manual can opener and pork and beans you're in trouble.
Hopefully you don't get real hungry before thinking to use a hammer/screw driver on that can.
Old 12-31-18, 09:35 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Walter S
Hopefully you don't get real hungry before thinking to use a hammer/screw driver on that can.
This could be the beginning of a LCOF forum (living can opener free).
Old 12-31-18, 10:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Maybe not quite at the same level of intelligence, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever when the Denver area transit system started providing real-time tracking on the buses. It made it so much more convenient to take the bus because you could tell exactly when it would come and plan to get there right on time, rather than waiting around.
Old 01-01-19, 01:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Maybe not quite at the same level of intelligence, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever when the Denver area transit system started providing real-time tracking on the buses. It made it so much more convenient to take the bus because you could tell exactly when it would come and plan to get there right on time, rather than waiting around.
I wish they would do that in Hobart!
Old 01-01-19, 04:16 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Atlanta's MARTA does that too and it is nice but not as nice as it should be because sometimes the "real time" position of the bus on the virtual map lags behind where it really is. If you're trying to catch a bus that already passed your stop but looks like it's not quite there yet that just leads to a lot more waiting. If the system does that 10% of the time then you're always wondering where the bus REALLY is and whether you just missed it (which shows itself on the virtual map as a bus that zips past you without stopping )
Old 01-01-19, 10:45 AM
tandempower

I wish they would do that in Hobart!
I met an engineering student who programmed her own bus tracking app after she saw the one her mother uses while visiting her during a vacation. I should have asked how she tracked the buses to map their location. Maybe they already had tracking but not a full comprehensive map that shows all the buses at the same time.
Old 01-01-19, 11:58 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
I met an engineering student who programmed her own bus tracking app after she saw the one her mother uses while visiting her during a vacation. I should have asked how she tracked the buses to map their location. Maybe they already had tracking but not a full comprehensive map that shows all the buses at the same time.
And maybe she was a magician? This is by no means hitech anymore. There are bus (and truck, family members, etc.) tracking apps left and right. It just takes a GPS. Active tracking requires a GPS that periodically transmits position - usually thru the cell network to a central computer that simply updates the last position of the bus/truck/etc. by updating a database where it tracks each bus because each such entity has a device identity also sent by the GPS. More and more metro bus systems now provide that real time data over the web to anybody that wants it. So everybody is free to write their own apps like your friend apparently did.

Any city that wants to put this on their buses now have proven case studies, tutorials, off the shelf hardware, etc. For example https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Display_System. Want to put wifi on your bus? Just buy a product like this one... https://mobileonboard.com/beam-bus-wifi-systems/

Last edited by Walter S; 01-01-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 01:08 PM
tandempower

I wonder if they could develop some kind of universal sensor system that would let cyclists and pedestrians, especially children, carry a chip that causes a warning light to go on at intersections and crosswalks. That way motorists would be attenuated when there was an unseen child/pedestrian/cyclist nearby and exercise more caution. The downside of this might be that more people would get run over when the light or sensors malfunctioned for some reason and motorists just assumed there was no one around without looking.
Old 01-02-19, 02:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I wonder if they could develop some kind of universal sensor system that would let cyclists and pedestrians, especially children, carry a chip that causes a warning light to go on at intersections and crosswalks. That way motorists would be attenuated when there was an unseen child/pedestrian/cyclist nearby and exercise more caution. The downside of this might be that more people would get run over when the light or sensors malfunctioned for some reason and motorists just assumed there was no one around without looking.
Man, you keep trying to make people outside the car responsible for car safety. Why should we have to enable somebody else driving around in oblivion? If the car or driver can't detect and avoid a child, then it or they should not be on the street.
Old 01-02-19, 02:18 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by cooker
Man, you keep trying to make people outside the car responsible for car safety. Why should we have to enable somebody else driving around in oblivion? If the car or driver can't detect and avoid a child, then it or they should not be on the street.
You're preaching to the choir here. I wish they were all off the street.

I was just thinking of a response to this thread asking for more potential applications for sensor technology.
Old 01-03-19, 11:35 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

It's hard to get a fix on this Libelium company. Where is it headquartered? Who runs it? What does it do? is is smoke and mirrors or a serious player?
Old 01-03-19, 11:42 AM
tandempower

It's hard to get a fix on this Libelium company. Where is it headquartered? Who runs it? What does it do? is is smoke and mirrors or a serious player?
You can discover answers to all these questions and more by ordering their introductory sensory array package! Just send check or money order to P.O. Box . . .
Old 01-03-19, 04:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I just went to their website, and to Contact. You can find quite a bit of information if you go to a company's website.

Contact Details
Libelium Comunicaciones Distribuidas S.L.

Address C/ Escatrón 16
(Edificio LIBELIUM)
C.P: 50014
Zaragoza (Spain)
Phone +34 976 54 74 92
Fax +34 976 47 31 86

Libelium Smart World Infographic ? Sensors for Smart Cities, Internet of Things and beyond | Libelium
Old 01-03-19, 05:07 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I just went to their website, and to Contact. You can find quite a bit of information if you go to a company's website.
Not really - that website is designed to tell you very little. I did figure out they are based in Spain and have two youngish founders. However there is almost no descriptive text about the company anywhere.