Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Modifying A trike for an overweight rider

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 05:20 PM
PhatTrike
Noob with a Welder

Bikes: Ez-3 Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok I'll get to the point... I've got a sun ez3 trike that I'm looking to modify for myself. At this time im currently around 360lbs and looking to bike to lose more weight (used to be even bigger ) the trike i got needs to be more or less rebuilt so yeah

i think the frame is tough enough, it's the wheels and tires I'm concerned about. I looked but i haven't found a really sturdy 20in trike wheel, i thought about going 24in but i don't know if that helps. feels like the bike/ trike industry doesn't really care for larger riders, unless they have really large wallets to go with...

anyway, just looking for some advice modding my trike
Old 03-31-19, 02:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
one of these?
Old 04-01-19, 09:15 PM
PhatTrike
Noob with a Welder

Bikes: Ez-3 Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
one of these?
exactly that
Old 04-02-19, 08:41 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Sun does in fact make a trike that has a 400 pound weight limit so the industry does care about making trikes for heavy riders. Their model is the EZ-3 USX HD. https://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11617617.html

Note the use of 48 spoke wheels. Smaller wheels are inherently stronger than larger wheels for the same spoke count. I once dropped my Greenspeed GTO off at least a 10" drop on to bare concrete with nary a problem with the 20" wheels. I'm not in your weight class but if I tried that with the 700CX23 rear wheel on my Catrike 700 it probably would mean a trip to the bike shop to have the wheel serviced. I see this version of trike come up fairly often on Craigslist and it gives me the impression that some people buy it only to discover that pedaling a 65 pound trike takes a bit of perseverance and willingness to suffer a bit. It's twice the weight of my CT700. Wheels aren't cheap. It probably would be better to look for one of these trikes on the used market and sell the one you already own. In the meantime if you are very careful your current trike will probably be OK. There is a bit of slop built into the 300 lb weight limit for the standard EZ3. Ride on smooth roads, avoid potholes, and don't go fast when you come to a rise in the pavement (like entrance to a bike path where the pavement forms a lip).
Old 04-22-19, 11:07 AM
donald_s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, the wheels are the key. Go to a bike shop that knows wheels and talk to them about heavy duty spokes. They can build something that will support you no problem.