Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Choice Down to Two: HELP PLEASE

Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 05-10-19, 09:28 PM
timacn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have my gravel bike choice down to two bikes: Cannondale Topstone or Specialized Sequoia Elite.
I'm an older guy and will be doing mostly canal paths, rails to trails, some fire roads, nothing insanely rough or rugged.
A couple bike mechanics I know are very high on the Topstone 105. (The Topstone Sora is also an option.) Lots of other people like the Specialized Sequoia Elite. I cannot find both a Topstone and a Sequoia in the same shop to A/B. Any of you knowledgeable and experienced gravel riders out there want to give me your opinions and/or advice? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-13-19, 02:22 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Ride both see which one is most comfortable, and then follow your heart (i.e. pick the color you like).

The Seqoia sounds great for what you are looking for (based on my experience). I haven't ridden the topstone. Personally, all other things being equal, I might go for the steel bike, but that's just me.
Old 05-13-19, 03:37 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I nearly bought the Seq Elite on a closing out sale but every review I read used the word "Tank" and on Specialized site for the 2018 a couple of people mentioned rust and as we live near the sea with lots of salt in the air coupled with it's weight decided to give it a miss.