Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Move over cable, TV antennas are back

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 05-28-19, 05:43 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts

Old 05-28-19, 07:43 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
I put a new one on my roof about three years ago for a second television I have. Works great here in the media-heavy Los Angeles area for getting all the broadcast stations, PBS, foreign station with USA affiliates (NHK from Japan is the best of these), and a few oddball stations. I'm not into HBO or similar cable only pay channels, so the antenna gets me just about everything I want to watch.

FWIW: Space-X put 60 satellites into space last week that are part of a master plan for world-wide internet access. If it works out, or if another company comes up with cheap "internet only" access, I'll subscribe to their service in a heartbeat and tell the cable company 'bye-bye'.
Likes For skidder:
Old 05-28-19, 07:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
I cancelled cable years ago when they raised the rates and cut back on local services. Got a Mohu Leaf indoor antenna. Works fine.

Digital TV is just different, not better or worse. It's still vulnerable to multipath distortion, especially in the evening as the ionosphere changes, or during bad weather. Instead of "snow" we get a broken up signal.

In some ways analog TV was better with a good signal and antenna. Most stations now use noticeable compression. Some channels look better than before, others look worse.

The rerun/syndication channels have lots of glitches, stuttering, often with segments repeat-repeat-repeating for a couple of seconds at a time. Production quality is way, way down. The worst of the worst appear to have no experienced human beings running the station, so it's not unusual to tune into boxing and see only part of each round as ads run overtime into programming slots. Cuts in movies and syndicated TV shows make no sense, coming at times other than original intended by the TV series producers -- like right in the middle of dialog, then backtracking after ads and repeating part of the previous scene.Yay, deregulation.
Old 05-28-19, 08:14 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 51 Posts
So, same ole same ole... 150 channels, and not a thing on... SIGH.

Pretty bad when the best thing on is I Love Lucy... from the 50s.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-28-19, 08:19 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
I also dropped cable years ago. At one time there was some excellent television on cable that could not be found anywhere else. Just one of my favs was TVLand. I just loved the retro commercials. And most of the shows were not cut to ribbons to make room for commercials.

First they dropped the retros. The started cutting shows. The last straw for me was when they went to original programming. Now MeTV is tsrating to go that route.

What really upset me was when all of the special interest channels moved to "reality" TV. TLC has nothing to do with learning anymore.
Likes For spinnaker:
Old 05-28-19, 08:21 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by genec View Post
So, same ole same ole... 150 channels, and not a thing on... SIGH.

Pretty bad when the best thing on is I Love Lucy... from the 50s.
Back in the day it was only 57 channels.
Likes For spinnaker:
Old 05-28-19, 08:24 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
I also dropped cable years ago. At one time there was some excellent television on cable that could not be found anywhere else. Just one of my favs was TVLand. I just loved the retro commercials. And most of the shows were not cut to ribbons to make room for commercials.

First they dropped the retros. The started cutting shows. The last straw for me was when they went to original programming. Now MeTV is tsrating to go that route.

What really upset me was when all of the special interest channels moved to "reality" TV. TLC has nothing to do with learning anymore.
Broadcast TV has some excellent programming now. Blue Bloods, SEAL Team are excellent. A shame they cut Code Black.
Old 05-28-19, 09:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Voted For Pedro

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Directv bill is getting too expensive for crummy tv channels I never watch.
Old 05-29-19, 12:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 7992 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 129 Posts
TV is like the 3.5mm jack, I'm surprised anyone still uses it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-29-19, 01:19 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2812 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Well I look at like this, 3.5mm may not be as ubiquitous as it once was, but its still alive and well, as is broadcast television; and although it may be a long way from perfect -- especially when compared to some pay content -- the good news is that it gives us a choices, and in the case of TV, that choice is free.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 05-29-19, 05:30 AM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Over the air broadcast TV also provides an option for those folks who can't afford cable or do not have access due to lack of geographic density of a customer base.
Old 05-29-19, 05:59 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
TV is like the 3.5mm jack, I'm surprised anyone still uses it.
Huh? I haven't seen a 3.5mm jack on a TV in 20 years or more.
Old 05-29-19, 06:04 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Over the air broadcast TV also provides an option for those folks who can't afford cable or do not have access due to lack of geographic density of a customer base.
No. Actually it leaves an option for people that don't want to pay for crap. I see people a whole lot poorer than me with Direct TV and the rest likely have cable. Mnay communites have free cable for those that can't afford it.

And as far as population density. if an area lacks population density enough to not have cable then the location is probably going to be too far away from broadcast stations to get decent signal.

DirectTV (or similar) is an option for those people. I had DiectTV for years. Not because there was not a cable option but because it was the cheaper option.
Old 05-29-19, 07:24 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Back in the day it was only 57 channels.
Ha! Back in the day, I was beside myself when we went from 2 over the air local channels to cable provided 8 channels, and I had to get up more often off the couch or chair to manually turn the TV's channel knob.

Thank goodness for the day that we finally bought a used COLOR (Woo Hoo!) TV that had a tuner fork remote. One just had to remember not to throw their car keys too hard onto the front room table, otherwise the TV would change channels wildly.
Likes For dynodonn:
Old 05-29-19, 07:36 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
A couple of my family members just recently decided to reroof their mother in law unit, and the younger roofer employee was mystified by the old TV antenna mounted on the roof, and asked my family members what it was.
Old 05-29-19, 07:41 AM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Bikes: Norco Cityglide, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 76 Posts
I cut cable TV in my house in January 2018. I installed a Mohu attic antenna and cleaned up the internal cabling in my house to work better with the non amplified or low amplified over the air TV signal.

Funny thing is I discovered that the receiver in each TV is different where some TVs pick up more channels than others, on the same antenna cable run.

Anyway. the 150 channels and nothing on is spot on. Out if the 90+ that I receive only 1/3rd are in a language I understand. And out of that 1/3rd maybe 90 percent is old shows, infomercials, or religious stations.

Still, it's a cheap alternative for people that really don't watch much TV.
Old 05-29-19, 07:43 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
We've never had anything but an antenna on the roof at our house. Over-the-air broadcasting provides everything I'm looking for or need from my TV.
Old 05-29-19, 07:48 AM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I really do have about 57 channels.
When Radio Shack bit the dust, I got a couple of rotators and more mast than I know what to do with.
I mounted an amplifier at the antenna to overcome coaxial cable loss, and one to feed each leg of the system that goes to each television.

Canada? Point the antenna North.
Tacoma? Point the antenna South.
Bellevue/Seattle Southeast, Southwest, respectivly.

I'm actually a fan of the Korean news channel...of all things. But H&I, and Comet get a fair bit of my attention too. Then, of course there is the usual assortment of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, with all their consolidated "in brand" content/distribution empires. Public access gets plenty of diverse content from local city/state version of CSPAN all the way to cooking shows & kids programming.

I really gotta say, I don't miss very much in the media world by cutting the cord. An antenna saves me probably a $100 a month. With that kind of return on investment, why would anyone need cable?

I still get the sports recap every night, and lots of live sports are actually broadcast live...Imagine that!

Last edited by base2; 05-29-19 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 09:35 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
Ha! Back in the day, I was beside myself when we went from 2 over the air local channels to cable provided 8 channels, and I had to get up more often off the couch or chair to manually turn the TV's channel knob.

Thank goodness for the day that we finally bought a used COLOR (Woo Hoo!) TV that had a tuner fork remote. One just had to remember not to throw their car keys too hard onto the front room table, otherwise the TV would change channels wildly.
We had 3! As well as channel 13 (public broadcasting). Later we got channel 53 which is now Fox. Dpn't remember what it was back in the day. And I think you are right. When cab;e first came out there were not many stations. But I don't remember use having a remote at first.

I used to repair televisions. I was always replacing those old tuners. There used to be places that would refurbish them. You would drop off the old "core" and pick up a refurbished tuner. I just did a ride through the town where I would get this done to sort of reminisce. I have forgotten what a wonderful little twown it is.
Old 05-29-19, 09:37 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 132 Posts
The only reasons we have Cabal TV is (a) to watch PBS, and(b) because Comcast would charge even more ransom for an internet connection without limited basic.

I really wish we could receive an over-the-air signal.
Old 05-29-19, 11:13 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
The only reasons we have Cabal TV is (a) to watch PBS, and(b) because Comcast would charge even more ransom for an internet connection without limited basic.

I really wish we could receive an over-the-air signal.
Verizon has loyalty discounts for long term customers. Give them a call and ask.
Old 05-29-19, 11:23 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 132 Posts
We don't have cell-phone service where we live. (If this is something else, sorry, but I am not comprehending ...)
Old 05-29-19, 11:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
We have never had cable, satellite, or any type of pay tv. Only antennae. PBS news, documentaries, cooking and house repair shows, old classic sitcoms and Svengoolie is plenty enough for us. Saved ourselves a boat load of $$$$ over the years.
Old 05-29-19, 11:30 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Surly Disk Trucker, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't remember the last time I paid for TV but it seems like 15 years ago. Not gonna do it.
Old 05-29-19, 12:06 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I cut cable last year. I do miss a few shows, but not enough to justify the ridiculous cost. I do more streaming now (Netflix and Amazon Prime). I also have a cheap antenna. I get most of the local channels, but for some reason I can't get the CBS stations unless I move the antenna a few feet over. Then I don't get the other channels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.