Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

HRM (Chest Strap) Advice

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

HRM (Chest Strap) Advice

Old 06-16-19, 05:01 AM
ChrisQP09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HRM (Chest Strap) Advice

Hi all,

I am not a cyclist but rather a dedicated fitness fanatic! My approach and training style actually incorporates aspects of multiple sports e.g NFL, olympic weightlifting, sprint cycling, rugby etc.

With this said, I now want to further analyse my physiological responses beginning with my heart rate. I will primarily use the HRM with a watt bike to review my performance/work rate during anaerobic sprints (5sec, 10 sec).

I need a HRM that does not require a wristwatch but rather can be a stand alone device or work off an app. It needs to be accurate and provide meaningful data, the more the better! Lastly, price is not a consideration it just needs to be accurate while being informative, ideally with the ability to export data into excel!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated but i understand this is a niche question. Thanks
Old 06-16-19, 05:31 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Mine just streams out BPM Bluetooth, it ain't rocket science... Any HRM strap not bought in a dollar store is accurate, and even most of those are accurate until they break.

Meaningful data? Thu-thump, thu-thump, thu-thump. What more do you want from a HRM?

Perhaps you are asking about a system rather than a strap? Find the spec you want. I use sigma and am reasonably happy. It shows my powertap data, gps, hr, on my bar mounted screen, and to my PC when I get home. Excel compatible, though I don't use it.
Old 06-16-19, 07:15 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQP09
Hi all,

I am not a cyclist but rather a dedicated fitness fanatic! My approach and training style actually incorporates aspects of multiple sports e.g NFL, olympic weightlifting, sprint cycling, rugby etc.

With this said, I now want to further analyse my physiological responses beginning with my heart rate. I will primarily use the HRM with a watt bike to review my performance/work rate during anaerobic sprints (5sec, 10 sec).
Heart rate isn’t going to tell you much about performance during short intervals. The power from your bike will tell you all you need. Nothing wrong with monitoring HR just don’t expect to get any actionable info.

Wahoo makes a decent strap that supports Bluetooth and Ant+. You need an Ant+ strap for some Garmin head units.
Old 06-16-19, 10:05 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Check out the Electronics, Lighting, and Gadgets forum https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/. It has been discussed at length there.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 06-16-19, 10:47 AM
DanAndrews01

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10, 2017 Focus Izalco Max

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Wahoo strap is bulletproof and works fine for me, I've been using the same one for years.
Old 06-16-19, 08:05 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I have a sigma rox 10.0 computer. It was pretty cheap, has GPS, and can connect to any ANT+ sensors (HRM, speed, cadence, power.)
Old 06-17-19, 04:16 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've used HRM sensors and chest straps from Polar and Wahoo, have now switched to Wahoo - the straps last way longer.

Wahoo now has a arm band version that was on sale for Father's Day and my daughter bought for me. Hasn't arrived yet, but it has gotten good reviews. I'm hoping it means longer strap life (less sweaty) and getting away from the annoying side of chest straps.
Old 06-17-19, 05:30 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
My HRMs have been Garmin ones. Ant+ and seem to work fine for me. Better accuracy, IMHO, than my Garmin VivoActive HR watch.
Old 06-17-19, 08:37 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQP09
Hi all,

I need a HRM that does not require a wristwatch but rather can be a stand alone device or work off an app. It needs to be accurate and provide meaningful data, the more the better! Lastly, price is not a consideration it just needs to be accurate while being informative, ideally with the ability to export data into excel!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated but i understand this is a niche question. Thanks
I know the high end Wahoo HRM can store something like 16 hours of data for use later, so it would satisfy this requirement.
Old 06-17-19, 08:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
4iiii Viviiiia