Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Road tires for Gravel bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 08:18 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadgraveller
You'd think it should be that easy but some of the manufacturers like Envy don't advise the use of some tyres like continental GPs probably because they might come off.
Right but you were asking about width, not compatibility. Your Cannondale wheels + 28mm or 32mm GP5000s. Done.

Last edited by shoota; 10-06-20 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 08:34 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Is your rim hooked or hookless? Continental recommends a hooked rim if you are running the GP5000. I run the GP5000 in a 32c width tubeless as my road setup and I really like it.

Last edited by tdilf; 10-06-20 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 10-06-20, 08:38 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
Is your rim hooked or hookless? Continental recommends a hooked rim if you are running the GP5000. I run the GP5000 in a 32c width as my road setup and I really like it.
Same, 32mm GP5Ks clinchers on hooked rims with latex tubes, great ride and handling!
Old 10-06-20, 08:43 AM
Roadgraveller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdilf
Is your rim hooked or hookless? Continental recommends a hooked rim if you are running the GP5000. I run the GP5000 in a 32c width as my road setup and I really like it.
On my Cannondale they are hooked, but the craze now does seem to be drifting towards hookless.
Old 10-06-20, 08:44 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I would not run road tires on hookless rims.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 10-06-20, 08:56 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadgraveller
You'd think it should be that easy but some of the manufacturers like Envy don't advise the use of some tyres like continental GPs probably because they might come off.
Actually enve seems to have a poor rim design where they've are prone to cutting open the sidewalls of tires. Enve blames the tire companies but when you're the common denominator in the failure of multiple tire brands the blame should be obvious.
I don't have a rim 25mm wide inside, that seems a little excessive to me, but a 27mm tire on a 20mm internal, 25mm external rim looks like a close fit, a 25mm tire on the same rim looked like there almost wasn't enough tire. This would make me think that going 5mm wider on the rim would require a tire that is at least a 32mm. Maybe a 30 would work but I'd want to lean towards that slightly wider.
Old 10-06-20, 10:01 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by chas58
shoota - It is too complicated, because there are no good standards and a lot of variables that conflict with each other. Multiple things have to match to get the tire to mount and stay mounted.

In Enve's case, you can use a GP5000, but you can not inflate it to its maximum pressure on the sidewall. Continental (and everyone actually) does not approve of going more than 5bar on a hookless rim. Conti have stated it is fine to use them hookless below 5 bar (which is what I do).

Some brands like Stans, & probably anyone hookless, tend to make the rim diameter a tad bigger than its nominal diameter. Conti makes the bead as small as they can in pursuit of high pressure safety. The result is that it is darn near impossible to mount the tubeless Conti GP on some of these rims.
Roger that. But we're talking about one specific set of Rims, OP's Hollowgrams, which are fairly straightforward and "normal" if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10-06-20, 10:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Holy crap you guys are making this way too complicated. Pick the best 28-32mm tire you can find and slap them on there. Done.
After reading thru this thread a few times over the last handful of days, your comment is what ran thru my mind each time.

It just shouldnt be this difficult, and if it is this difficult, then perhaps the design of the component/bike should be questioned and changed(if possible).
The recently released Topstone Carbon has clearance for only 40mm tire. And to get even that much, they had to widen the BB by 10mm and move the wheel over to the left a handful of mm. So much unique/proprietary design just to eek out 40mm or clearance.
Ill rant about hookless rims too because why not. What is the benefit for gravel or road?!?!...I honestly cant figure it out. What gain will I see if I use a hookless rim on my gravel bike? I dont think I will be faster or more comfortable, at least based on what Ive read about hook vs hookless.
Old 10-06-20, 10:08 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
After reading thru this thread a few times over the last handful of days, your comment is what ran thru my mind each time.

It just shouldnt be this difficult, and if it is this difficult, then perhaps the design of the component/bike should be questioned and changed(if possible).
The recently released Topstone Carbon has clearance for only 40mm tire. And to get even that much, they had to widen the BB by 10mm and move the wheel over to the left a handful of mm. So much unique/proprietary design just to eek out 40mm or clearance.
Ill rant about hookless rims too because why not. What is the benefit for gravel or road?!?!...I honestly cant figure it out. What gain will I see if I use a hookless rim on my gravel bike? I dont think I will be faster or more comfortable, at least based on what Ive read about hook vs hookless.
I think I've been led to understand the hookless design helps with flatting. I have no idea how true that is. I'm with you, I think it's a terrible design that leads to conversations like the one this thread is having.