Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Schwalble Smart Sam Plus 57-584 (27.5 - 2.25)

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 12:05 PM
TSophy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bought a Smart Sam Plus for my Magnum Peak last August, put it on the rear and have nothing but good things to say about the feel/performance however noticed these knob cracks on the tread and can see the green guard protective strip underneath . I weigh 230 lbs and ride the bike aggressively mostly bike trails or on concrete/asphalt and take hill turns at high speeds, I usually prefer a 47-50 psi. The tire has been ridden approx 3,000 km. There are a total of 6 knobs w/ similar cracks (same side because of the same hard turn?) on the tire and 1 in the middle. I'd post a pic but the forum won't allow me until I have 10 posts...but I can email or send a pic via text if you'd like to view it.

I had a few questions if anyone has seen this before: Does the tire need to be replaced right away or can it still be ridden? Are the cracks a sign the tire is being over inflated? With my weight and excessive speed am I putting too much force on knobs/tread during the high speed turn?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 05-17-20, 09:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
I've had a Marathon on my bike for several years of errand-only duty and it has performed well. I think there's a slight price to pay for the "protection" in adhesion to the road surface. Sounds like you received great service from your tire since you subject it to much more stringent conditions. Considering the PITA of a flat with a hub motor, I would replace.
Old 05-17-20, 11:18 AM
TSophy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks 2old, appreciate it. I was leaning that way and just needed to hear it from someone else. Take care.
Likes For TSophy: