Reload this Page >

Things you'll never do again (probably)

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 05-18-20, 02:53 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I'm pretty concerned/pessimistic about what people are taking away from this experience. People in areas that didn't see crowded hospitals from the disease will be reluctant to play along with the next quarantine, especially those that lost their jobs this time. And now that 80,000 deaths (or losing less than 1% of the population, depending on whose Facebook rant you read) have been normalized, it's going to take something a lot more deadly for people to take it seriously...
Unfortunately ... yea. Not to make more references to influenza, but that is supposedly how people responded to the tragic Spanish Flu pandemic. Lots of people died, and there were those who thought it would never end. But as soon as it did, it was back to life as usual ... as if it never happened. It was as if it was so terrible, they just wanted to forget it ever happened.

Old 05-18-20, 02:55 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8444 Post(s)
Liked 902 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
Depends on the success with a vaccine. Right now I'm not planning on flying or attending concerts any time soon. Of course, there won't be any concerts any time soon. That's an activity I'll consider next year if they return and depending on what the situation looks like at the time. There's nothing I can think of that I'll never do again. Or at least the I know I'll never do again.
This, big time. Hey at one point Smallpox, polio and and other diseases were almost in the some sort of epidemic situation, although not pandemic, with this sort of intensity. Vaccines were developed for all, and they have been pretty much forgotten.

https://www.healthline.com/health/wo...eaks-history#9
Old 05-18-20, 04:37 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
I was thinking about this entire issue today as I drove past two closed gyms. Even before the pandemic there were a noticeable number of closed businesses as a result of the last recession. A small business owner may not have the financial resources to come back, especially after a double hit. As mentioned above, some situations, such as theaters will not easily, if ever recover. This relates also to all performing arts and sports. Also mentioned above was the supposition that eventually everything will bet back to normal. There are good reasons why normal will be different than want we are used to. Say, for example, renting a car that has been sanitized, or has it? There are a thousand situations similar situations. At preset the masterminds in government are devising plans to help people keep their heads above water. We'll know how that is going only in retrospect.
Likes For berner:
Old 05-18-20, 07:44 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by berner View Post
I was thinking about this entire issue today as I drove past two closed gyms. Even before the pandemic there were a noticeable number of closed businesses as a result of the last recession. A small business owner may not have the financial resources to come back, especially after a double hit. As mentioned above, some situations, such as theaters will not easily, if ever recover. This relates also to all performing arts and sports. Also mentioned above was the supposition that eventually everything will bet back to normal. There are good reasons why normal will be different than want we are used to. Say, for example, renting a car that has been sanitized, or has it? There are a thousand situations similar situations. At preset the masterminds in government are devising plans to help people keep their heads above water. We'll know how that is going only in retrospect.
In this area, don't depend on government, especially this government.

Private business wants to get going again, and wants to ensure the customer that they are exceeding the minimum expectations... any business is going to strive to be Number One.

For example, Hilton is partnering with Lysol to deliver a room "Sanitized for Your Protection." Lysol is developing fog dispersion systems to spray rooms.

Alaska airlines is using hot steam foggers.

Rental cars would go into a carwash with a fog chamber.

Restaurants are asking for reservations with contact numbers for contact tracing.

So innovations are being sought, thought about and tried.

Government, hell, they can't get out of their own damn way. Oh, something will be published someday... as minimal guidelines... "all workers must wash their hands..."
Likes For genec:
Old 05-18-20, 08:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
...I do think that this might be the end for most movie theaters, however.
And maybe the beginning of a new paradigm for movie watching, and possible business opportunity.

For years I've seen some folks use social media to "group watch" favorite TV shows, movies and sporting events.They'll post comments throughout the shows.

Generally the industry has frowned upon the practice of one person buying a pay per view of a major sporting event, then sharing it online, while viewers comment. But it's a lost cause. Pirates gonna pirate. And the quality of the pirated stream is usually mediocre at best.

I have some obscure movies that I'd share with friends online for a viewing party, but my DSL is so slow it'd be a frustrating experience.

Instead this may prompt streaming services to more seamlessly incorporate socializing with movies and TV shows. Some folks will be willing to pay for higher quality streams without glitches.
Old 05-18-20, 08:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

As a twist, things I'll never stop doing: Challenging people who keep tossing around the term "herd immunity" as a euphemism for "let the weak ones die so we can get back to partying like it's 1999."

There's little or no evidence of herd immunity for corona viruses among humans. There's poor prognosis for a vaccine. This coronavirus capitalizes, bolds and underscores this.

When life resumes what most folks consider "normal," it'll come on the backs of millions of people who died. That isn't "herd immunity." That's just letting the old and weak ones die so we won't be reminded of how fragile and capricious life really is.

I have friends who keep posting articles that they choose to interpret as evidence of the efficacy of "herd immunity." And for as long as we continue to be friends, I'll keep reminding them that they're talking about soft genocide and eugenics. So say bye-bye to your older and weaker family, friends and neighbors now.

Unless the thing mutates to something less virulent, in which case I'll happily change my nickname from Cassandra to Chicken Little.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-19-20, 06:58 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Unfortunately ... yea. Not to make more references to influenza, but that is supposedly how people responded to the tragic Spanish Flu pandemic. Lots of people died, and there were those who thought it would never end. But as soon as it did, it was back to life as usual ... as if it never happened. It was as if it was so terrible, they just wanted to forget it ever happened.
It was not back to life as usual. That pandemic occurred at the end of WW1 which was then followed by the pandemic which was then followed by the frenzied "Roaring 20s" which was followed by frenzied over-leveraged investment (gambiling) which in turn let to a severe economic recession. It's all connected.
Old 05-19-20, 07:48 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by berner View Post
It was not back to life as usual. That pandemic occurred at the end of WW1 which was then followed by the pandemic which was then followed by the frenzied "Roaring 20s" which was followed by frenzied over-leveraged investment (gambiling) which in turn let to a severe economic recession. It's all connected.
I would have to contend that the "Roaring 20s" was an example of people trying to return to some form of normal... Folks certainly were not avoiding one another.

You are citing financial indicators... what about social indicators?
Old 05-19-20, 09:31 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post

There's little or no evidence of herd immunity for corona viruses among humans. There's poor prognosis for a vaccine. This coronavirus capitalizes, bolds and underscores this.
There is evidence of immunity for the SARS-Cov-2 corona virus in humans.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S...674(20)30610-3

There is some dispute about the required level of prevalence or people with antibodies is required to achieve herd immunity from COVID, however. I don't think anyone believes it has been achieved yet anywhere, even in the hotspots.

Recent vaccine clinical trials also showed good immune responses. I can provide a link for that if you like.

If you're intrested in an explanation of the link above, it can be had here:

Last edited by Biker395; 05-19-20 at 09:35 AM.
Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-19-20, 08:02 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 141 Posts
Use toilet paper or disposable napkins (paper towels) on a regular basis. Really. My household missed the memo about stocking up, and adapted. Reusable napkins are great - we should have made that move years ago!

I'll also, more than likely, never be able to get away with teaching a college class without some kind of video content again. They wanted videos, they got them, and now there's no going back.

I'll probably fly again, even though I hate it. I only do it for job interviews and conferences. I'm guessing that most conferences will be online for a while, but I'd still like to find a different job and relocate, so there's that.

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL View Post

Not sure when we will be back on campus. I'm having some anxiety about meeting with random students in my very small and poorly ventilated office.
I'm having anxiety about the fall in general. Spending 100 minutes in a small windowless room with 75 college kids several times a week does not sound great. I know my students, and I know that a significant minority of them will continue to frequent bars and parties, regulations or not.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 05-20-20, 02:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
There is evidence of immunity for the SARS-Cov-2 corona virus in humans.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S...674(20)30610-3

There is some dispute about the required level of prevalence or people with antibodies is required to achieve herd immunity from COVID, however. I don't think anyone believes it has been achieved yet anywhere, even in the hotspots.

Recent vaccine clinical trials also showed good immune responses. I can provide a link for that if you like.

If you're intrested in an explanation of the link above, it can be had here:

https://www.facebook.com/jenniferkas...851?__tn__=K-R
Thanks, looks promising but not yet definitive. Looking forward to developments on that research.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-20-20, 03:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11202 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,558 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Eat something that hit a surface in a public space (no more five second rule)
You used to do that?
Old 05-20-20, 07:27 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Go to Zumba.

Well I never went anyway, but now I have a good excuse.

They happened in places where people shout or sing. And although Zumba classes have been connected to outbreaks, Pilates classes, which are not as intense, have not, Knight notes. “Maybe slow, gentle breathing is not a risk factor, but heavy, deep, or rapid breathing and shouting is.”
Article on cluster spreading events, which appear to be a characteristic of this pandemic.

Probably about 10% of cases lead to 80% of the spread.
Adam Kucharski, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Science

Last edited by skookum; 05-20-20 at 07:28 AM. Reason: fixing quotes
Old 05-20-20, 09:42 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
You used to do that?
Five second rule
Old 05-20-20, 09:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11202 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,558 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Five second rule
In a public place? No thanks.
Old 05-20-20, 12:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
making out w random women

I shud be cutting down on that anyway
In a somewhat similar vein, my wife and I are social ballroom dancers. To quote Ann Landers, "Dancing is a vertical sublimation of a horizontal inclination."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
”Does your spouse ride with you?”

Not since about 1990...

But don’t cry for us Argentina. In the early 1980’s we took ballroom dancing lessons for about eight years and on every Saturday evening, after my long Saturday Ride, I look forward to going dining and dancing.
Our last dance function was March 14 but I hope we can resume in the future.

Not us but another fun couple.

Just before this thing happened we signed up for a set of five dance lessons, interrupted after #1. The teacher has been offering virtual lessons, but we’re staying in different towns and my wife is afraid of catching the virus from me since I'm out on the mean streets of Boston, and she's secure on quiet Cape Ann.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-20-20 at 04:42 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-20-20, 02:16 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Thanks, looks promising but not yet definitive. Looking forward to developments on that research.
I posted this elsewhere, and thought it would be of interest here. Ugh.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/19/...id-19-vaccine/

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-20-20, 03:54 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 420 Posts
Unhappy

making out w random women

I shud be cutting down on that anyway
Once lamenting on how the AIDS epidemic has changed his lifestyle of excess,
Sam Kinison said, 'I miss having sex with strangers.'
Old 05-21-20, 04:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
I hope we can resume in the future
oh man, that sounds rough! who is gonna break first?
Old 05-21-20, 06:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 159 Posts
"Things you'll never do again (probably)"

In a somewhat similar vein, my wife and I are social ballroom dancers….Our last dance function was March 14 but I hope we can resume in the future.

Just before this thing happened we signed up for a set of five dance lessons, interrupted after #1. The teacher has been offering virtual lessons, but we’re staying in different towns and my wife is afraid of catching the virus from me since I'm out on the mean streets of Boston, and she's secure on quiet Cape Ann.
oh man, that sounds rough! who is gonna break first?
Actually, not bad at all. My adult son is also in Boston working from home, and the family gets together on weekends up there. The level of recreational activities, including restaurant take outs, are similar in both locations.

The (reality) dance studio is in Watertown.
Old 05-22-20, 03:31 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 133 Posts
I’ll never allow Mrs. Ghazmh to make me go to family get togethers when I’d rather be cycling.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-22-20, 04:24 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 117 Posts
movies last night

Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-22-20, 05:13 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 103 Posts
As the human population density has skyrocketed in the past 100yrs or so, particularly in the past 50yrs, I've long thought the thing that would "get" humanity in the end was: contagion.

In denser populations, easily-spread pathogens can find a toe-hold and then can transmit everywhere in a flash. Particularly something involving respiratory, something traveling via air, something that can live for awhile on surfaces. Doesn't help that "it's a small world" is even more true today than ever, what with international air flights from and to everywhere. Doesn't help that most people touch everything around them, at some point, or breathe/cough/sneeze on it.

It'll be nice to see if people's general enhanced hygiene and precautionary steps remain, after this has "passed."

Can't say that I like the idea of every human walking around all day in masks and gloves. No matter the pathogen being spread.

Myself, I don't do airline travel, except when it's a dire emergency. Haven't for years. I don't have young kids about. I don't do "dense" gatherings, and haven't for years. Can't think of any things that I've newly written off the list, which weren't already on the list of things to avoid anyway.

My philosophy: merely being alive <> living. There is a difference. I'm okay with that, knowing we all exit when the ride's over.
Old 05-26-20, 08:53 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
Work out in a public gym. Maybe we'll arrange something, I don't know. Maybe we'll have more and smaller gyms with limited membership, at four or ten times the membership fee to keep down the number of members. Maybe you and your five friends buying exercise gear together. Maybe have people work out in pairs, with one person spotting *and* responsible for honoring/enforcing Covid restrictions. (But what about that big gust of air from a big bench push, right up in the spotter's face?)
On thew way home from this morning's ride I passed a 24-hour gym that runs in unattended mode after hours; members get a keycard or passcode or something. There was a sign on the door that said:

If you are using the facility while unattended, you affirm that:

1. You don't have a fever.
2. You don't have any signs or symptoms of Covid-19.
3. You will clean and sanitize any places and pieces that you use during your visit.

I can see someone trying to remember which plates they used. Well, they're late for work anyway, and when did traffic start getting this bad this early? That's probably good enough, they'll do a better clean-up next time.
Old 05-26-20, 12:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
they'll do a better clean-up next time.
this is why leadership that skirts responsibility is dangerous
Likes For rumrunn6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.