Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Bike is Not a Cell Phone - Upgrading to "Latest and Greatest" Syndrome

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Bike is Not a Cell Phone - Upgrading to "Latest and Greatest" Syndrome

Old 05-22-20, 03:01 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Warning: This thread is pointless and is just me rambling about a thought that's been rolling around in my head for a while

Having just sold a handful of bikes recently, one of the most common bargaining tactics used by potential buyer's to get me to drop the price of my bikes was that the bikes were a couple of years old (ranging from 2013 to 2015 model years) and thus not worth anything. On more than one occasion, I'd get someone sending me a link to some "bicycle blue book" stating that my bikes were worthless because they weren't the latest and greatest. I learned to ignore those potential buyers and my bikes all sold for what I was asking... thanks to COVID-19

That got me thinking... are we as a society being duped into thinking that a bike that is a few years old is now a piece of outdated junk, just because we've become used to a 2 year obsolescence cycle for electronic goods? (I.e. "Moore's Law" has had a pretty big role in people buying a new mobile phone or computer every 2 years because that's about how long it takes before a new, much faster model is invented.) Unless you're planning on buying a bike with SRAM eTap, Shimano Di2, or some other electronic components group, the entire rest of the bike is not electronic and not subject to radical improvements from year to year.

I often think manufacturers just introduce new models with new marketing hype to convince us that the newer model is radically better than the old when it potentially is not. For example, I'm still wondering why Shimano created the Ultegra R8000 group set when it's hardly a departure from the 6800 group set. Both are 11 speed and both work just fine. It's my opinion that used bikes with Ultegra 6800 are a great value because they're perceived as being "yesterday's news" but work just as good as the new R8000 bikes.

While there certainly are incremental advances and improvements in bikes over the years, I personally think that one ought to really consider if you really need the latest model bike or if you just want it. There's nothing wrong with either, but if you can convince yourself that you don't need a brand new bike, you can save yourself a lot of money. Not only that, bicycles typically hold their value worse than cars do... once you ride the bike away from the LBS, you'll have a hard time selling it for anything near what you paid for it (well, excluding our current bizarro-world COVID-19 bike shortage.)

Anywho... your thoughts? Are bikes that are more than a few years old worthy of the scrap heap? Is buying a brand new bike a psychological gain or a good idea? Should we all buy a new bike every two years to keep up-to-date along with our iPhones and Android phones?

Note: I currently ride a 2020 Trek Domane SL7, so I'm a little hypocritical when it comes to my argument that one doesn't need a new bike. However, in my defense, I did buy it used for substantial cost savings... I would've stuck with my 2015 Domane had the deal not come along.
my newest bike is 10 year old bianchi 928.
oldest ti 1995ish bianchi and besides a few less cogs.
both great bikes. besides that initial new bike smell.
i see no reason to buy new.....
Old 05-22-20, 03:03 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Road bikes? ehhhh... you could argue nothing important has changed since the arrival of Ergo's. Even Di2 is nearly 20 years old.
7900Di2 was released Summer of 2009, so not nearly 20 years old.
Old 05-22-20, 03:17 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Upgradeitis is people succumbing to delusions that their life will be better after the next gratuitous expenditure
Old 05-22-20, 03:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
7900Di2 was released Summer of 2009, so not nearly 20 years old.
*cough* nexave
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-22-20, 03:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
My cars are 19 and 48 years old, my phone is ~4 years old, and for ~$50 I can replace the battery, which will buy me another few years, until I can no longer get iOS support or upgrades. I replaced my computer a couple of years ago when the old laptop battery started to crap out and it started to drown under the weight of ever-more-hungry OS upgrades. My bikes are 20 and 25 years old. Somewhere in the last decade, I lost interest in having the latest and greatest - back in 2003 I had a lightly used 2000 frame with modern (for then) Chorus 10 components. Now in 2020, I still have the same frame and the same Chorus 10 drivetrain, and I only replace/upgrade when something wears out. I have enough parts to run 10sp for at least a few more years, but I acknowledge that at some point the difficulty in finding NOS replacements will likely push me toward upgrading to 11- or 12sp. That being said, I have a hankering for a new lighter wheel set, but I'm ambivalent, as my current wheels, while old and heavy, are perfectly functional - sometimes it sucks to be a curmudgeon, but it saves a lot of money
Old 05-22-20, 04:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
For a while new cell phones were obviously better than the 2yo model. That's not really happening any more. The numbers keep going up but they don't matter, screen size is just a fashion and its resolution is sufficient to the eyeball, the cameras are sharp enough, the data rate is fast enough, the software features are not dependent on the model, and so on.
A friend showed me a night photo from his S20+ that a few years ago could only be got with an SLR on a tripod. My Note 8 can't do anything like that. The cameras on good phones are getting much better. You wouldn't notice if you only shoot pictures of a bike leaned against a garage.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-22-20, 07:37 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
As I work in the "cellphone" industry, I've been fortunate to have the latest and greatest for the last 10 years (professionally) and several years prior (as a hobby). The technology (especially the cameras) has certainly come a long way.
Old 05-22-20, 08:20 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...dium-bike-2007

The bike I most enjoyed is above. It would 13 years old today, but thinking about it’s qualities the reason I loved it was that it fit me perfectly. I felt that I could steer that bike with my mind...I actually used 28s on the rear so even by today’s standards it was capable. So, yeah, we don’t need new things, but I can’t say that I regret owning the other bikes that replaced it. It’s all a journey...
Old 05-22-20, 08:38 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You're talking about groupsets that were introduced 10 years ago, not current ones.
Yes, this is the entire point of my posting. Dura-Ace 7800 shifts cleaner than any Shimano mechanical shifting before or since. 9-speed 7700 was also outstanding.

Just because a product is newer doesn't mean that it is better. Adding another cog (10 to 11 speeds) produces marginal tiny gains, but putting the shift cables under the bar tape caused a deterioration of shift quality that is only mitigated through premium low-friction cable housings.

When I talk about Dura-Ace 7800, I'm not referring to shifters that have been raced in criteriums and crashed 20 times, and left with sticky 10-year old cables and housings. I'm talking about relatively fresh stuff - like for like.
Old 05-22-20, 09:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Yes, this is the entire point of my posting. Dura-Ace 7800....
No, you misunderstand. The stuff that eats cables and doesn't shift as well was introduced ten years ago. You said that it was current gen - it's not. That was two generations ago.
Old 05-22-20, 09:49 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I'm a Campy only guy and Campy has been first with 10, 11 and 12 speed road bikes, so it's easier to keep up. If you buy a 2020 Shimano 11 speed bike, it will be old news next year. I got two 2020 Campy Chorus groups last July when they first became available. I paid significantly less than an 11 speed Chorus group, I bought in 2018.

Unless a new group offers a major change, I wouldn't worry about having the latest. Changing from 11 to 12 was a big deal for me, because I really needed the new 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette for the mountains that I ride. SRAM AXS costs twice as much and has less low gear and poor spacing with their 46/33 and 10-33. A 44/31 crank would be needed to match my gearing range and the spacing of sprockets would still be less desirable. No thanks.
Its that exact gear range option that has me sitting on a small pile of campy, my first in 18 years, just waiting for my new frame. With Shimano and Sram doing their price fixing by banning overseas purchases while keeping their prices jacked in the US it was cheaper to go campy and the new 12 has an awesome gear range for a general use occasional race cross bike.

Originally Posted by sced
Upgradeitis is people succumbing to delusions that their life will be better after the next gratuitous expenditure
Perhaps but sometimes we just like having nicer, newer things since we work and earn them; doesn't mean we expect out life to be better though maybe it will be. I upgraded my steel frame to carbon this spring, I do feel that my road cycling life is better; it fits better, feels better and is more fun to ride making me happier to hop on and go. Newer can be better.
Old 05-22-20, 11:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Isn't buying the latest-and-greatest simply to satisfy the butt dyno the pinnacle in chasing marginal gains?

Remember-- to someone, any bike with more than 10 speeds on it, or having anything other than friction shifters (on the downtube, natch) will forever be "new fangled."

I personally can't muster up the energy to care how much money other people spend or what they spend it on.
Old 05-23-20, 03:36 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
For example, I'm still wondering why Shimano created the Ultegra R8000 group set when it's hardly a departure from the 6800 group set. Both are 11 speed and both work just fine.
There are some refinements and circumstantial advantages, like the front derailleur on R8000 accommodating more clearance.

Even if this weren't the case, though, it's a necessary consequence of how markets work. When competitors compete for mindshare, if you're not fighting forward, you're slipping back. This should be an easy concept for road cyclists to grasp, since it's exactly what happens in a peloton.

are we as a society being duped

No matter what type of product you're talking about, marketing folks will always pose everything as a huge gain. Ignore any steps back, mask any steps sideways as an improvement by emphasizing any aspect of the step that sounds positive. If information about a product doesn't convey an inspiring narrative, tell an inspiring narrative rather than convey information. This is normal stuff.

Are bikes that are more than a few years old worthy of the scrap heap?
No, but this doesn't mean they can retain much value. Besides older bikes losing value by moving outside of the current hotness in design, buyers on the used market are taking many risks relating to unknown condition, and they don't get warranties. Even if you know that condition of an item is spectacular, the buyer has no reason to trust you. This is simply the nature of the used market.
Not to mention, even if they know they can trust you, they have no reason not to haggle.

A road bicycle is an extension of the body. A road bicycle is not a financial investment. When you buy a road bicycle, do so because you want to ride it; do not expect to recover a large portion of the purchase price upon ejection from the stable.

You are correct that a bicycle is not a cell phone. This is obvious because, if you try to fit your bicycle into a jersey pocket at the start of a ride, there will be trouble.
Old 05-23-20, 02:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
And, STI shifters where the cables exit from the sides of the shifters... cleaner, smoother shifting, as cable runs under the bar tape introduce extra friction, and the current shifters eat cables. Dura-Ace 7800: best mechanical shifting ever.
I've heard some original under the tape routed cables wore thru housing faster than external routed cables.
Assuming that was true, it sure seems to have resolved itself based on the many under the tape routed shifters I have worked on over the last 4 years. Probably 15 different bikes with varying group levels from Ultegra down to Sora. None had housing that was visibly chewed up and none had cables that were frayed.

Perhaps a relatively small sample size, sure, but certainly larger than most who just speak in generalizations.

My under the tape routed shifters are 11 speed and shift smoothly, fast, and cable maintenance simply hasn't existed for over 2 years on each bike. If they are being chewed up internally, I sure can't tell so it effectively doesn't matter.

Your issue seems to be applicable to shifters that haven't been made in years.
Old 05-23-20, 03:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Looks like a bra.
Or a bro.
Old 05-23-20, 09:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I haven't bought a new bike since 1976. I'm perfect happy to buy good used bikes with so-so cosmetics, as long as they're mechanically sound.

Some electronics need to be replaced often just to keep up. I still have and like my old iPhone 4s but it finally became too limited by 2017 and I got a middling grade Android phone that I'm about to replace. It was good for a couple of years but the 16 GB storage turned out to be inadequate for all the apps I want. I had to delete a bunch of news apps and other useful stuff.

But with bikes, the engine is always my main limitation. If I can't do it on my early 1990s Trek OCLV, I probably can't do it any better with a spankin' new $10k bike.

I might make an exception for a unique bike, more of a rolling sculpture type thing, if I won the lotto.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-23-20, 10:37 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My under the tape routed shifters are 11 speed and shift smoothly, fast, and cable maintenance simply hasn't existed for over 2 years on each bike. If they are being chewed up internally, I sure can't tell so it effectively doesn't matter.

Your issue seems to be applicable to shifters that haven't been made in years.
My 11-speed Shimano shifters (several) work fine when matched with fresh housing. But not as well as Dura-Ace 7800. Peel back the hoods and look at the cable routing. 7800 has no tight bends, and cable replacements are dead simple. When you use the same quality and age of housings and cables, 7800 produces cleaner shifting..
Old 05-24-20, 07:08 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,389 Times in 2,734 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if Shimano offered something like a "Dura Ace Classic" group? Silver, based on 7800 but with compact crank option and RD that would accept the now common 32T cassette. Keep it 10 speed so folks could use their old wheels. Dreaming....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-24-20, 07:42 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I'm a Campy only guy and Campy has been first with 10, 11 and 12 speed road bikes, so it's easier to keep up. If you buy a 2020 Shimano 11 speed bike, it will be old news next year. I got two 2020 Campy Chorus groups last July when they first became available. I paid significantly less than an 11 speed Chorus group, I bought in 2018.

Unless a new group offers a major change, I wouldn't worry about having the latest. Changing from 11 to 12 was a big deal for me, because I really needed the new 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette for the mountains that I ride. SRAM AXS costs twice as much and has less low gear and poor spacing with their 46/33 and 10-33. A 44/31 crank would be needed to match my gearing range and the spacing of sprockets would still be less desirable. No thanks.
The cost of Super Record 12 pretty much squashes my desire to upgrade. “Maybe next year” or until they stop making 11 Record cassettes
Old 05-24-20, 08:30 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Wouldn't it be nice if Shimano offered something like a "Dura Ace Classic" group? Silver, based on 7800 but with compact crank option and RD that would accept the now common 32T cassette. Keep it 10 speed so folks could use their old wheels. Dreaming....
Next year is the Shimano 150th anniversary... who knows, maybe they'll create a limited addition anniversary DA group-set for the price of a kidney or two
Old 05-24-20, 09:24 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Next year is the Shimano 150th anniversary... who knows, maybe they'll create a limited addition anniversary
Old 05-24-20, 12:24 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
As I've gotten older, I've found that while I like the idea of upgrading just as I always have, the process of doing so for any high value item is just so inherently stressful that it's just a turn off to actually execute an upgrade on stuff anymore. Worrying that the product is going to come through defect free or whatever. Buy a new Macbook Pro but don't you dare look at the forums or you'll be analyzing for 454 things wrong with it you would've never even thought about or noticed...

But like at least with a bike, assuming it comes through with no cosmetic or mechanical issues, even after getting past that hurdle, it seems to take such a long time to get it really dialed in that once you finally do, at least for me, I'm glad to be done stressing about it and having so much of my time circle the drain playing/adjusting/testing/stressing/being indecisive and am glad to just finally be able to ride it and enjoy it.

So in my case, I have a 2017 rim brake road bike that can't take tires wider than 25mm. Super outdated probably even by 2017 standards, but I knew that when I bought it and I just don't care, and I'll probably be riding that for the next 15 years before I'm ready to deal with the process of buying something new.

And my 2016 Sirrus hybrid, sure it might be nice to trade it in on a Canyon Grail gravel bike, but do I really want to go through the headaches and hassle, especially for a bike that isn't really that much different in usability (who really says you can't ride a bog standard hybrid on gravel?)? I don't worry about my Sirrus or how it's set up anymore, I can just get on it and ride it knowing it's dialed in, and there's serious value there for me.
Old 05-24-20, 05:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a neighbor, a few blocks away, that always has the latest car. Whenever a new hot car comes out I see it in his driveway. Everything from when the PT Cruiser and new T-Bird, to the latest Camaro, Shelby Mustang and now there's a modified C7.

I asked him and he gets short term leases, like 6-8 months.

He had a Lexus RX with the plates "IMKEPNIT", but 2 years later there was a Land Rover with those plates.

Some people have to have the latest and i'm sure there will be a C8 as soon as they are being delivered.

For me, I keep things for a long time.... cars for 10+ years, in fact I still have my first, a 1974 VW Beetle.

I have significant miles on my 2015 Emonda. I know exactly what it's limits are and what i'm capable of doing. It's good and reliable friend that's never failed. There would have to be something significant for me to spend the type of coin it would take to replace it.
Old 05-24-20, 07:07 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
I still prefer my 12 years old BMC promachine SLC01 to my brand new BMC roadmachine 01 One.
cost of the frame $4000

there was less cracking of the frame, less problem with the seatpost clamp, less problem with the integrated headset of the fork.
cost of the frame: $7900
Old 05-25-20, 11:25 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Warning: This thread is pointless and is just me rambling about a thought that's been rolling around in my head for a while

Having just sold a handful of bikes recently, one of the most common bargaining tactics used by potential buyer's to get me to drop the price of my bikes was that the bikes were a couple of years old (ranging from 2013 to 2015 model years) and thus not worth anything. On more than one occasion, I'd get someone sending me a link to some "bicycle blue book" stating that my bikes were worthless because they weren't the latest and greatest. I learned to ignore those potential buyers and my bikes all sold for what I was asking... thanks to COVID-19

That got me thinking... are we as a society being duped into thinking that a bike that is a few years old is now a piece of outdated junk, just because we've become used to a 2 year obsolescence cycle for electronic goods? (I.e. "Moore's Law" has had a pretty big role in people buying a new mobile phone or computer every 2 years because that's about how long it takes before a new, much faster model is invented.) Unless you're planning on buying a bike with SRAM eTap, Shimano Di2, or some other electronic components group, the entire rest of the bike is not electronic and not subject to radical improvements from year to year.

I often think manufacturers just introduce new models with new marketing hype to convince us that the newer model is radically better than the old when it potentially is not. For example, I'm still wondering why Shimano created the Ultegra R8000 group set when it's hardly a departure from the 6800 group set. Both are 11 speed and both work just fine. It's my opinion that used bikes with Ultegra 6800 are a great value because they're perceived as being "yesterday's news" but work just as good as the new R8000 bikes.

While there certainly are incremental advances and improvements in bikes over the years, I personally think that one ought to really consider if you really need the latest model bike or if you just want it. There's nothing wrong with either, but if you can convince yourself that you don't need a brand new bike, you can save yourself a lot of money. Not only that, bicycles typically hold their value worse than cars do... once you ride the bike away from the LBS, you'll have a hard time selling it for anything near what you paid for it (well, excluding our current bizarro-world COVID-19 bike shortage.)

Anywho... your thoughts? Are bikes that are more than a few years old worthy of the scrap heap? Is buying a brand new bike a psychological gain or a good idea? Should we all buy a new bike every two years to keep up-to-date along with our iPhones and Android phones?

Note: I currently ride a 2020 Trek Domane SL7, so I'm a little hypocritical when it comes to my argument that one doesn't need a new bike. However, in my defense, I did buy it used for substantial cost savings... I would've stuck with my 2015 Domane had the deal not come along.
Sorry to take issue here with, what may be, just a nit.....

Moore's Law is about technological advances and limitations and has nothing to do with why people upgrade their technology so often. What really happens is FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) syndrome. And that is the marketing side of the company, not the engineering function. If the advertising and PR constantly bombards you with the latest and greatest and how important it is to have it (referred to as an emotional appeal), there's a good chance you're going to get suckered into replacing a perfectly good product for a newer one (at a higher cost).

Companies do this all the time because they need to generate revenues which creates profits which allows a company to grow and pay people (especially execs) a lot more money.

Stating Moore's Law is why people always buy the latest and greatest is about the same as stating that Einstein's E=mC^2 is the reason we twice dropped atomic bombs on Japan in WWII Specious logic, at best....

Oh, and I am the original owner and rider of a 20+ yr. old Specialized Hard Rock mtb that I've kept and maintained and does just fine (tho, disc brakes are an interesting consideration for me

Cheers....

Last edited by stephr1; 05-25-20 at 11:29 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.