Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Does the Ebike get you Out of the House?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 02:31 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts

I use the Trek Verve to get me out of the house. Does anyone use ebikes to go to a local fishing hole? I am thinking I need to do just that. We have a local walking and biking trail but it is so well used it would be difficult to find it sparsely used. I don't want to be going faster than everyone on the trail. But even without the power on I will be way faster than the walkers. It will upset someone. All my years of commuting no one has had the gall to mess with me but I try to ride defensively. I like to go out with little to no traffic. I know, I have a sign on my back, Doesn't Play Well With Others! The MUP sounds like a no go for me. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-20-20, 06:56 AM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
They definitely get you out of the house. I usually hit the paved trails early in the AM, (very few walkers) to take in the sights and sounds of the creeks, birds etc. They're great to explore with, and I run basic errands with mine you get where you're going fast. Fishing and hobbies are great for e bikes, load your gear on them and head out for the day. I have other bikes, the e powered one fits in nicely.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 05-20-20, 09:28 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Our local pathways are packed right now with families with kids and walkers, due to Covid - folks getting exercise since schools and gyms are closed. It only took me a couple rides to figure out I could not use them without a lot of hassle right now, dodging kids, swerving from folks who can't walk in a straight line, lol. Thank god for my motor - which I normally do NOT use for my exercise rides, just for my errands and distance rides. I'm using it daily now to ride a fairly hilly route where no one is out walking and I see one or two roadies at most. At first I was on level 4 (of 9) but now I'm taking those hills on 2 and 3. Maybe by the time this is over and I can go back to my normal riding routes, I'll be taking some of them without the motor! Done right, you can most definitely build your fitness with an e-bike.
Old 05-20-20, 11:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
My e-bike gets me on trails that I would never consider on a normal bike. There are days when I don't feel like riding my regular bike, but I'll take the e-bike, hit some tough trails and I'm back home in 30 mins
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-27-20, 09:33 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Yes

It does get me out of the house. Being legally disabled makes it more challenging to move considerable distances (i.e. Over a mile) on my own muscle power, so standard bicycles are not the best solution for me, at least not at this point in time.

Thank goodness for my humble little e-bike which allows me to get out of the house and get some sensible exercise and fresh air, and as I have stated in other threads, I may be looking at getting one that would allow me to do some light shopping on my own rather than always depending on the para-transit ride service I use..

Last edited by edwong3; 06-04-20 at 10:37 PM.
Likes For edwong3:
Old 05-27-20, 10:03 PM
allroader

Bikes: 2020 M2S Sport R500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've been riding 3 or 4 times a week, mainly local during the weekdays. Montreal is on covid lockdown and slowly opening up every week. Sunday I went on a 40 kms ride, wanted to go for an extra 20 but with threat of rain I decided to go home. Mainly on pas 2 or 3 for hills, enjoy the traffic with lots of crowds. Didn't see too many ebikes and the LBS have no stock with just the high end lying about. Even though Montreal has many bike paths I'm seeing more bikes and less cars on the weekends. My next ride will be going west along the canal and rapids.
Likes For allroader:
Old 06-04-20, 05:10 PM
CanyonCooler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
E-Bikes are wonderful for getting back into biking. You will probably find you go farther and explore new places than you probably would have if you were depending on your own pedal power. It's great fun! In my experience, trying to ride a fast electric bike on a busy footpath is nerve wracking for both the rider and the pedestrians/dogs/other bikers. I would recommend going during off hours or sticking to bike lanes if you have them.
Likes For CanyonCooler:
Old 06-06-20, 01:05 PM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I was using a golf cart to go back and forth to our Pickleball courts....sold the cart when my CO2 dectector was going off when charging the wet cell golf cart batteries....had the fire department at my house many times until we all figured out that the cart was setting it off........sold the cart to a guy (who really wanted it) for what I paid for the cart plus a free like new E-bike ...... not a great one....but works well...Nakto 250w motor...6 speed Shimanos......36v 10 amp battery....now I use that to go around our adult community.....hope it lasts.