Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observing Crime While Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observing Crime While Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 12:55 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

Any war stories and lessons learned from others? I like hearing about other's experiences because it helps me prepare for situations.
Not counting being a witness to traffic accidents on several occasions, I've never seen a crime committed while on a bike.

However, I have seen crime committed while standing on my own two feet many times. Two times I was the victim, all the others I was a witness.

One armed robbery of yours truly, an argument turning into a fight with one man chasing the other with a rifle, extortion of money at a gas station of yours truly, attempted extortion of money from a woman in her car sitting at an intersection, stealing armloads of cigarette cartons out of a convenience store, stealing armloads of cigarette cartons out of a grocery store, . . . perhaps others that don't come to mind right now.

The rifle chase was interesting as a Houston PD officer was giving a traffic ticket to a motorist within maybe 25 yards of the guy that pulled the rifle. That cop drew his service pistol, and with the muzzle pointed upwards, gave immediate chase on foot.

About the only thing I can recommend to do is be observant of what's going on, report what you can to police, and write down what you saw as soon as you're able. If you are ever called to give testimony, it is usually so long after the fact that you might not remember the details correctly. So, think clearly and write it down as accurately as you can. Really try to leave any emotion out of what you write down if at all possible.

Emotion otherwise is usually expected and normal. Getting a gun aimed at you is a definitely an emotional experience even if you try to remain as calm as possible while the crime is going down.
Old 05-23-20, 01:29 PM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Stop signs and red lights...

...are we claiming to be innocent?
Old 05-24-20, 04:19 AM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Last night I was riding home when I heard some young girls screaming. I circled back around and saw them running across a 4 lane road in the dark. I rode in their direction and they jumped in a car; I memorized the license plate. As I turned I could see someone at the convenience store across the street with his phone in the film/picture position.

I rode over and gave him the license plate number and he told me they'd run out with merchandise without paying.

It reminded me of the time when I was stopped at traffic light early in the morning and heard noises from the same convenience store. I looked over and a couple of guys were coming out with the cash register. I yelled "hey" and they loaded up and drove off away from me.

My initial reaction on that one wasn't good. I shouldn't have drawn attention to myself. My plan now when I see a robbery in progress is to get to a safe place as first priority.

I find that as a cyclist I can see, hear (and smell) much better than motorists. I encounter situations, including criminal activity, that otherwise wouldn't be noticed.

Any war stories and lessons learned from others? I like hearing about other's experiences because it helps me prepare for situations.
good job getting the plate information
Old 05-25-20, 12:47 PM
kombiguy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
[QUOTE=FiftySix;21492787] Getting a gun aimed at you is a definitely an emotional experience .../QUOTE]

Winston Churchill once said that there was nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at without effect.
Old 05-28-20, 02:55 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Witnessed a groping on the sidewalk whilst riding on a Chicago street. Gropee had baby in carriage, groper was running shoeless. Told gropee to get on cellphone while I pursued groper. Chased until traffic got nasty then returned to bawling gropee. She was on the phone but with her mom. Told the young lady to call the cops not mom! Turns out it was a serial barefoot groper, eventually caught
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 05-28-20, 05:03 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I was riding my road bike one Sunday on a park road when a car passed me, stopped hard and the driver came out gun in hand, I stopped too. Immediately a motorcycle stopped behind me and the driver pointed his gun at the biker. I froze, hoping he wouldn't shoot. The biker left the motorcycle and ran into the bushes, the driver chased him on foot. It all happened in a few seconds. I continued my ride and got home OK.