Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hiding a Bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hiding a Bike

Old 05-25-20, 01:53 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Hiding a Bike

I plan to do a lot more whitewater canoeing this year. The problem with canoeing on moving water is that it’s usually a one way trip. And, with all the rules about distancing it will be even less likely than usual that shuttling will work. So, I decided to get an old beater bike to hide near the take-out point. My DW, failing to understand that N+1 is always a good thing, suggested that one of the less used bikes in the stable get to serve this function.

I figured that wasn’t too much of a concession as the thought of riding a true beater for a number of km. Back to the launch point was really less than appealing. I have pretty much decided on my older aluminum Allez. It’s kind of mid sized so either the DW or I can ride it. But it is worth a few hundred bucks so, even though there’s not a lot of theft around here, I an looking for tips about locking and hiding it.

Of course, if dirt roads are involved I may have to use my fat bike or my Stump Jumper, either of which are more likely to attract thieves, so the hiding and locking are even more important!
Old 05-25-20, 03:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
I can't help with an answer but I had a customer (I was a car mechanic) who was a record holding hang glider. He would stash a bike near the landing area at the foot of a 4000 foot mountain and drive up with his kite. After his flight he would land near the bike and he would stash the kite and ride the mountain bike back up to get his truck. A great athlete.
Old 05-25-20, 07:43 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Ha-ha! I don’t think my vertical will resemble Your customers! But it’s the same general idea. Obviously I’ll stash the bike but I have heard of various methods of locking (eg. Chain ring) and I have no idea whether they’re an effective deterrent.

Or is it better to leave the bike locked out in the open so would-be thieves have to operate in the public eye (if anyone’s around)?
Old 05-25-20, 07:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Modify the take out point to nearer a place where you can stash the bike ?, a nearby home ?.

Kind of hard to suggest anything specific without knowing where the canoe trip is.
Old 05-25-20, 10:36 PM
Mountain Mitch

It is a variety of trips. Pretty much any whitewater. Typically 10-40 kms. Obviously there’s a certain amount of common sense involved, But it’s just that, in this area, I have about zero experience with securing a bike. I actually cannot remember the last time I locked a bike. What I was wondering was whether there were any pointers I should know. I thought more urban people would be expert at locking up bikes so that no one could take them! Types of locks, cables, leave the bike public or hide it....that kind of thing.
Old 05-26-20, 03:55 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I’m not an urban person or a bike lock expert but I wouldn’t worry too much if it’s in the boondocks (it’s not clear how populated the take out areas are). There won’t be any professional bike thieves around and most locks should be enough to discourage the rest of us. Out here, where there’s forest, I’d opt for hiding it in the trees. Probably the biggest worry with that is remembering exactly where I’d hid it! I assume your canoe forays are day trips, so the bike isn’t going to be at risk for more than that amount of time. Now, about leaving your canoe at the take out point while you ride to your car...
Old 05-26-20, 04:11 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Buy or make a ghillie blanket.

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-26-20, 05:43 AM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Before I moved to kayaking I used to do a LOT of ww canoeing . We used bike shuttle sometimes and as we paddled solo just tied the bike in the front of one of the boats and took it with us and one of us would bike back to the car. This was on stuff up to 3+ and didn't work on really narrow creeky stuff.
Old 05-26-20, 06:10 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Some thoughts
- Take the seat and pedals with you, make the bike unattractive to steal.
- Lock to a tree with a cable lock, it's only to deter, won't really prevent somebody that has real tools
- Get a camo tarp, you'd want to keep the bike dry anyway, Maybe add branches to help hide.
- Use your GPS to mark the location.
Old 05-26-20, 03:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it excessively.

A semi-expendable bike way out in the boonies away from the kind of thieves who are likely to come equipped with cutting tools.
Old 05-26-20, 04:54 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Take the bike apart and hide/lock the components in various trees nearby. Easier if wheels have quick-release hubs, and a quick release seatpost. generally people will ignore a bare-ish frame locked with a cable lock to a tree...
Old 05-27-20, 08:33 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I used to have a whitewater raft, and if you're concerned about shuttling, you must be paddling solo. I would be worrying more about the leaving canoe at the take out than a bike stashed in the woods.

If it were me I'd chain the bike 100' or so into the woods and throw some branches over it.
Old 05-27-20, 10:37 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Hidden from sight, partly disassembled, with a light chain, two beers and a note saying you are on the river and need this to get home.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 05-27-20, 02:04 PM
Mountain Mitch

Thanks all, some great suggestions. I will certainly take the seat and hide the bike well in the woods. But I’ll make sure I have it clearly marked on my treasure map or GPS as I do want to be able to find it. My DW (dear wife, or d*****d wife as the occasion dictates!) is my usual paddling companion so she will stay with the canoe. Shuttles won’t work with just one vehicle!
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 05-27-20, 04:14 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Spoiler

Pick a Local Business (A Bar), ask nice and drop the guy a $20 too look after your bike.
If you are coming off the river and there is no "Local Business" - then you chose poorly for a spot to come off the river anyway!

Barry

BTW how do you delete a Spoiler you no longer want?
Old 05-29-20, 03:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Pick a Local Business (A Bar), ask nice and drop the guy a $20 too look after your bike.
If you are coming off the river and there is no "Local Business" - then you chose poorly for a spot to come off the river anyway!
Actually, if the exit ramp is in the wilderness, hide the bike really well, take off the wheels and pocket the skewers, lock everything together with a lock and chain, and then lock it all to a tree (or, if you can climb high enough, in a tree .... not many people look up.) if there is foot traffic around where you exit, that won't really help unless you lock up right in front of a very busy store .... so asking someone to hold it is a good idea.

Not many people are walking in the woods looking for bikes to steal. if there are two locks and chains, and no skewers so the person couldn't ride away .... but hopefully no one would ever notice anyway.

But yes on the GPS if you are just getting off the river wherever and not at an actual established boat ramp or dock or something.

I haven't been in a canoe or kayak yet in this century .... I'd sure like to but real life keeps interfering.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-30-20, 03:49 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Take the bike apart and hide/lock the components in various trees nearby. Easier if wheels have quick-release hubs, and a quick release seatpost. generally people will ignore a bare-ish frame locked with a cable lock to a tree...
That's interesting. Could you bring ropes, hooks, maybe pulleys, secure them to branches, and raise the bike into a tree? This is likely more trouble than it's worth, but maybe?
Old 05-30-20, 06:20 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Actually, if the exit ramp is in the wilderness, hide the bike really well, take off the wheels and pocket the skewers, lock everything together with a lock and chain, and then lock it all to a tree (or, if you can climb high enough, in a tree .... not many people look up.) if there is foot traffic around where you exit, that won't really help unless you lock up right in front of a very busy store .... so asking someone to hold it is a good idea.

Not many people are walking in the woods looking for bikes to steal. if there are two locks and chains, and no skewers so the person couldn't ride away .... but hopefully no one would ever notice anyway.

But yes on the GPS if you are just getting off the river wherever and not at an actual established boat ramp or dock or something.

I haven't been in a canoe or kayak yet in this century .... I'd sure like to but real life keeps interfering.
I like the skewer removal trick.
Old 05-30-20, 07:03 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Do those plastic bike boxes float?

(Truly ignorant question, as I have no idea)
Old 05-30-20, 08:47 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
That's interesting. Could you bring ropes, hooks, maybe pulleys, secure them to branches, and raise the bike into a tree? This is likely more trouble than it's worth, but maybe?
Most people do not look up past a few feet above ground level. Put something even just 8' above ground level (arms reach) and most will not see it. Wheels, seat/seatpost are easily lifted to that height and placed in a forked branch without any lifting apparatus, zip-tied to a branch if necessary. Leave the frame (chained/cabled) to a different tree, or lift that again even just arms length into a tree... Don't believe me? Try it next time you're out in the woods... see how easy it is to hide something that is broken down into parts...
Likes For Cougrrcj: