Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Bike is Not a Cell Phone - Upgrading to "Latest and Greatest" Syndrome

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Bike is Not a Cell Phone - Upgrading to "Latest and Greatest" Syndrome

Old 05-28-20, 04:43 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I shot this recently with a Canon FF body (5D3) and a 24 mm f/1.4. Sturdy tripod, cable release, the whole nine yards. Moon rise, and you can just make Rainier out in the distance. My friend was standing 30 feet away hand holding his new phone, at screen size his first reaction was "why do I carry a heavy Manfrotto around?" But I wouldn't hesitate to print this as big as I need and doubt the phone is good enough for that.
You, good sir, have excellent taste in cameras. That's a beautiful shot and a good example, but I'm even meaning more the shots that a cell flat-out cannot accomplish. Cycling content:
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-28-20, 04:49 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I get a kick out of those bike pics, and the like, that clearly fool the fake bokeh generator on phone cameras. Yeah, just lemme turn that feature off, thanks.
How about the fakey tilt-shifts that hurt my eyes because the combination of in- and out-of-focus can't possibly exist?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-28-20, 05:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
You, good sir, have excellent taste in cameras. That's a beautiful shot and a good example, but I'm even meaning more the shots that a cell flat-out cannot accomplish. Cycling content:
This is an excellent shot in multiple ways. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to shoot something like this but easier with my phone and it's over before the phone app is ready.

I'll post a couple the phone could never have got, need to dig them up first. Nature stuff, never made the opportunity to shoot sports.

What are you shooting with?
Old 05-28-20, 05:53 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
BTW... where @trekmogul in this discussion
Well if you had not linked my screen name I would not have seen this as have not been here on the forum hardly at all. We are still in Sri Lanka since mid october but finally will be back to the doom and gloom of NW on Sunday Night. We have been under total lock down here on the island since march 20th. Borders are closed to in coming flights but was able to get seats on a special Qatar Airlines Charter Flight (NOT CHEAP) but coming home...

Yes my favorite type of thread... Funny you are all talking cameras as I am going to buy me a Nikon D6 and that incredible Nikkor 120-300MM F/2.8 Zoom Lens that just hit the shelves at B&H yesterday.. Unable to purchase while here from B&H or I would already own it...

Keep healthy and spinning everyone...

Old 05-28-20, 06:01 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

This is an excellent shot in multiple ways. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to shoot something like this but easier with my phone and it's over before the phone app is ready.

I'll post a couple the phone could never have got, need to dig them up first. Nature stuff, never made the opportunity to shoot sports.

What are you shooting with?
Thank you! It is, I think, my best panning shot ever. That was the 5D3 with 70-200/2.8IS2. Like I said, you have good taste in cameras.

I also have an R and an M50. In truth, I did more when my work was easier and I was just running. When my last phone died earlier this year I got the iPhone 11 Pro for travel, specifically to have as good quality as possible without lugging a separate camera when the in-laws take us to HK and Europe. Ironic.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-28-20, 06:02 PM
Lyle J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow..I would HAPPILY take a donated 20year old Stumpjumper or Scott or Giant because I've never had the pleasure of owning a highend mountainbike...I'm currently riding a bike I rescued from the trash and rebuilt with whatever I could afford
Old 05-28-20, 06:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Well if you had not linked my screen name I would not have seen this as have not been here on the forum hardly at all.

Yes my favorite type of thread...
I messed you, glad you're well and riding.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-28-20, 08:02 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Thank you! It is, I think, my best panning shot ever. That was the 5D3 with 70-200/2.8IS2. Like I said, you have good taste in cameras.

I also have an R and an M50. In truth, I did more when my work was easier and I was just running. When my last phone died earlier this year I got the iPhone 11 Pro for travel, specifically to have as good quality as possible without lugging a separate camera when the in-laws take us to HK and Europe. Ironic.
I have the original Canon 5D that I bought from BESTBUY and that was the camera that got me into a DSLR for the very first time.. I still have some of my Canon Equipment like this Canon 1DMK2N with the Canon 400MM F/4DO ...

Old 05-29-20, 08:50 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I think the potential buyers were just trying to lowball you. I recently bought a bike that's a 2009 model. It works flawlessly, actually, so it's NOT worth nothing.

And yes, there's a big pandemic of upgrade-itis in regards to many hobbies. A fool and his money are soon parted. A very old saying that still rings true.
Old 05-29-20, 09:10 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Phone cameras have been getting better. I use Android not Apple, went out to shoot nothing photos with a friend, his S20 made images that look like they came from an SLR on a tripod. Don't know what they looked like at 100% though. But the best camera is the one you have with you.

That said, mine is 4 generations old.
S10.. good enough and the camera was free with the purchase of the phone.

Taken at a rest break on the way home. Bethpage Black 15th Tee.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-29-20, 11:21 AM
Seattle Forrest

I have the original Canon 5D that I bought from BESTBUY and that was the camera that got me into a DSLR for the very first time.. I still have some of my Canon Equipment like this Canon 1DMK2N with the Canon 400MM F/4DO ...
I had the original 5D. I used it in the rain more times than I can count, and got confident in its toughness. One summer day without a cloud in the sky I took it on a waterfall hike, a storm blew in, the trail turned into a river, and the camera never worked again. Replaced it with one of the 1.3x 1D bodies because I got a deal, but it wasn't right for me. I had the original D60 before it, second affordable SLR Canon made.

I've always preferred fast primes. Read a bunch of reviews of the 400/4 DO. Never really sure what I thought about that one. Some reviews complained about softness and aberration, it looked like "the dreamy effect" you get from a 50/1.4 wide open. Which can be a good thing, or not, depending how you use it and what you're after. Went with a 300/4 IS instead. How do you like the DO?

Lenses you should have are the 85/1.2, 200/1.8, and 300/2.8. They're among the best lenses ever made for any system, but also very expensive.
Old 05-29-20, 11:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Hell, I just replaced an original 5D a year and a half ago. Am I the dinosaur?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-29-20, 11:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

You, good sir, have excellent taste in cameras. That's a beautiful shot and a good example, but I'm even meaning more the shots that a cell flat-out cannot accomplish.
On that note, here's a very old picture I shot with a D60 and 300 mm f/4 L IS. I used manual focus because I didn't trust the camera to get it in time. Good choice, I got two exposures before it flew away. Never in a million years with even the best phone, and it was her birthday making the capture even sweeter. Prints up real nice.

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-29-20, 01:23 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The response qualifies as a rant, when it includes information that is easily proven to be incorrect, like the duplicate gear comment.
Sensitivity to cadence change is highly subjective and individual. So I'm not willing to take anyone to task for having a different perspective on what exactly constitutes redundant combinations. So I'll give you that one.

However, characterizing my entire response as a "rant" because it contains one point you disagree with seems a bit short sighted to me. But hey... This is America

Let me simplify my response. The only reason I can think of to adopt the "new" technology would be to give me a bit more low end. The rest of what it offers is "because we can" fluff to me. But examining all the currently available 12 speed drive trains shows they do provide that aditional low end I seek. Unfortunately, they all also involve more high end than I'll ever need or want as well as a mid-range shifting pattern I'm not comfortable with. The fact that this set of compromises comes at a cost I'm not comfortable with either, makes going that direction a non-starter for me.

Were Campy to offer a Record EPS compatible 12-32 cassette that didn't require a change of hub body and an RD that could handle it, I'd be all over it. In the absence of such a simple solution, my best, most viable option seems to be to HTFU.

Last edited by bmcer; 05-29-20 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 03:48 PM
trekmogul 

I had the original 5D. I used it in the rain more times than I can count, and got confident in its toughness. One summer day without a cloud in the sky I took it on a waterfall hike, a storm blew in, the trail turned into a river, and the camera never worked again. Replaced it with one of the 1.3x 1D bodies because I got a deal, but it wasn't right for me. I had the original D60 before it, second affordable SLR Canon made.

I've always preferred fast primes. Read a bunch of reviews of the 400/4 DO. Never really sure what I thought about that one. Some reviews complained about softness and aberration, it looked like "the dreamy effect" you get from a 50/1.4 wide open. Which can be a good thing, or not, depending how you use it and what you're after. Went with a 300/4 IS instead. How do you like the DO?

Lenses you should have are the 85/1.2, 200/1.8, and 300/2.8. They're among the best lenses ever made for any system, but also very expensive.
I only still have my 5D because its my first DSLR and have it coupled with a Canon 50MM 1.2L Lens. I also have pretty much switched all over to Nikon a few years ago for no real reason but wanted to..! I have the Nikon D5 with all primes from 200f/2 to the 800mm f/5.6FLED.. The 200 F/2 has never been removed from this D5 and love it..

Old 05-29-20, 05:36 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
I rode a 1978 custom Reynolds 531 campy equipped frame set (all in for about $900). Got the upgrade bug and bought a Merlin titanium with campy 8 chorus ergo. Both are really comfortable rides and plenty top shelf for my ability. That was in ‘93. I was an avid happy and moderately successful amateur racer till fly fishing took me in, nearly completely. But preparation for this years California Eroica got me back in the saddle. And I’m in love all over. To the point, however, I decided to buy a broader range of gears (I’m 68 after all) and upgraded to chorus 12 speed on the Merlin. It was such a good decision as it is such an awesome ride. Good thing I don’t test ride every new thing out there because there is better, no doubt. But I’m still me, but older.
Best to all.
jim
Likes For jleeg:
Old 05-29-20, 06:12 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I only still have my 5D because its my first DSLR and have it coupled with a Canon 50MM 1.2L Lens. I also have pretty much switched all over to Nikon a few years ago for no real reason but wanted to..! I have the Nikon D5 with all primes from 200f/2 to the 800mm f/5.6FLED.. The 200 F/2 has never been removed from this D5 and love it..

He looks like he's reading the dinner menu.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-29-20, 08:47 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Old 05-29-20, 08:48 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
He looks like he's reading the dinner menu.
It looks like @trekmogul is on the menu.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-30-20, 10:58 AM
Mesher

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Once it's taken off the lot, whether car or bike, it's not new anymore. Unwanted bikes should be given to those that can't afford a decent bike. I don't care to support those that buy indiscriminately and then want me to pay them premium for their lack of interest in that item.
I imagine so. Unless it has been "taken off the lot" long enough ago to make it "vintage". It's the same with all kinds of stuff.
Old 05-31-20, 08:13 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Hehe... interesting how my original post has morphed into a photography thread I like photography as well, so I'm OK with that! I really like the kitty (kitteh!) pic... my cat approves!

I've seen a parallel between what has been happening in the world of photography and bicycles over the years. I remember buying an Olympus dSLR years ago that had an "fold and flip" LCD viewer before the major brands had the same feature. I loved it, but all I saw online were Nikon and Canon purists complaining about how LCD screens were stupid and optical view finders were all one ever needed. Same thing happened when I switched to a Sony SLT camera which was one of Sony's first attempts at going mirrorless. Nikon and Canon purists poo-poo'ed all things Sony... and now look who's laughing! Sony is kicking @ss. Can you still take great pictures with an old camera? You can. But you can do even more with the new stuff.

Back to the world of cycling, we have seen quite a few really good advancements in technology that many are still fighting... especially traditional roadies. "Disc brakes are dumb", "no one needs carbon", etc. Long-story-short, I think there's room in the market for everyone's tastes and preferences. If you prefer steel and old-school toe-clips, great... there's a market for that. If you prefer bleeding-edge materials and experimental technologies, great... there's a market for that. I think we can all get along as long as we respect that not everyone wants the same things out of their bikes or cameras.
Old 05-31-20, 08:21 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
My pickup is a '98, car is an '09 (wife's is 05), road bikes are 06's and mtn bikes are late 90's, so guess I'm not one who needs the latest and greatest. I do enjoy reading and seeing the innovations that have come about since I started riding (long ago!), but our bikes are still serving their purpose. If I was to upgrade, it would be the mtn.bikes, but they aren't getting tons of use, so they do what they need to, but if I was younger and riding trails more, well............
Old 05-31-20, 10:46 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Hehe... interesting how my original post has morphed into a photography thread I like photography as well, so I'm OK with that! I really like the kitty (kitteh!) pic... my cat approves!

I've seen a parallel between what has been happening in the world of photography and bicycles over the years. I remember buying an Olympus dSLR years ago that had an "fold and flip" LCD viewer before the major brands had the same feature. I loved it, but all I saw online were Nikon and Canon purists complaining about how LCD screens were stupid and optical view finders were all one ever needed. Same thing happened when I switched to a Sony SLT camera which was one of Sony's first attempts at going mirrorless. Nikon and Canon purists poo-poo'ed all things Sony... and now look who's laughing! Sony is kicking @ss. Can you still take great pictures with an old camera? You can. But you can do even more with the new stuff.

Back to the world of cycling, we have seen quite a few really good advancements in technology that many are still fighting... especially traditional roadies. "Disc brakes are dumb", "no one needs carbon", etc. Long-story-short, I think there's room in the market for everyone's tastes and preferences. If you prefer steel and old-school toe-clips, great... there's a market for that. If you prefer bleeding-edge materials and experimental technologies, great... there's a market for that. I think we can all get along as long as we respect that not everyone wants the same things out of their bikes or cameras.
Does that mean I have an excuse to show off my poor old boy?

I miss him and his beautiful eyes so much.

And quite like with bikes, some are happier with the old ways - my EOS R takes wonderful images, but my 5D3 feels so much better that one of these days I'll probably sell them both and get a 5D4. Or 90D.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-31-20, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Miss Parsley

Bear

Bear, upon learning that peacock feathers exist

Old 05-31-20, 11:07 AM
Seattle Forrest

Flossing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.