Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain rattle in highest gear

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 05:56 AM
mameha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new to cycling, my road bike has 2*7 shinano gears.

When in the highest gear, at speed, the chain rattles when i push on the right pedal.

I cant replicate the noise in the garage with the bike elevated.

I have tried adjusting the rear h spring. Tightening it, i could no longer go into high gear as expected. Loosening it, i can go into high gear again, but further loosening did not eliminate the noise and doesnt seem to make difference.

The front derailleur looks ok visually there is a gap both sides but i cant be 100%.

What are the steps to debug and fix this?
Old 05-30-20, 09:07 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Do make sure the rear derailer limit screws are set correctly, but this is almost certainly a case of it rubbing on the front derailer cage. It won't show up in the stand but when you start pedaling you're flexing things just enough to make it rub. Check the clearance there. If needed, move the cage outward a tiny bit by loosening the H limit screw and/or increasing the cable tension.
Old 05-30-20, 09:11 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It's possible that a, your frame is flexing under load and thus causing the front derailleur to rub against the chain. (no likely because you can duplicate it on the stand) or b, your chain and/or upper pulley on the rear derailleur are hitting the cog. If b, is the cause, then adjusting the B-bolt on the derailleur might eliminate that.

Other causes might be a worn smallest cog or a worn chain if the smallest cog isn't used much. Or it could be a slightly bent rear derailleur cage or hanger.

Cheers