Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

AB-467 prize compensation: gender equity

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

AB-467 prize compensation: gender equity

Old 05-16-19, 03:03 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^ good post. I didn't read the rest. Lock this thread.
Likes For Ygduf:
Old 05-17-19, 06:58 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Yep. With races struggling due to costs and shutting down left and right, I'd be in favor of eliminating all (cash) prizes for everything but the elite Men's and Women's races.
In our early season races, we moved from payout each day to making it a series payout, which encourages people to attend both days.

But, we also created trophies. They are homemade and kind of ridiculous, but people want them. I get the impression that they want that trophy more than the cash.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-17-19, 01:21 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
We have officially/unofficially adopted an equal price purse policy and have for years. Like above - you can pay 20 deep in the mens and 3 deep in the women's if you want but the pay is equal for the same spots.

People who say things like, "The race has to pay for itself - if there are only x people racing then they shouldn't"- full stop. That's not how races work. anyone who thinks it is should be removed from race promotion immediately and their races boycotted.

Women make up over 50% of the population. They are currently around 15% of licensed racers. That only happens if they have been actively discouraged from racing. This is a very old sexist industry. It's beyond time for it to change.

Bottom line is that no one is watching anyway. Racing is simply a way for people to indulge their own egos. As such if anyone actually spends 5 seconds thinking it shouldn't be made unilaterally equal across genders immediately then they are only thinking so out of sexist spite.

I brought this up on a USA Cycling Masters post somewhere - It's not even remotely representative of our population. The last thing we need is more of them or to listen to their thoughts about what should be done to fix it. I include myself in that.
Well said. Thank you.
Old 05-23-19, 06:31 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
We have officially/unofficially adopted an equal price purse policy and have for years. Like above - you can pay 20 deep in the mens and 3 deep in the women's if you want but the pay is equal for the same spots
The bill says "identical". Paying 3 places may be equal to paying 10 places, it is not identical. The lawyers will decide.

Women make up over 50% of the population. They are currently around 15% of licensed racers. That only happens if they have been actively discouraged from racing. This is a very old sexist industry. It's beyond time for it to change...
Females are a majority in organized sports in SoCal. If you want more in cycling, you take them from another sport. I expect females are involved where they want to be involved, not because of discouragement.

I have tried really hard to recruit and get and keep females in cycling. The female athletes I know don't do it because they want to do something else. It think that rather simple explanation is the right one.

To the bill's overall sports effect...My daughter's team was playing for $20K from Nike, males were playing for $0. There are more females affected in SoCal than males. That is skewed by soccer, and volleyball and gym.

This bill reaches to the $500 mark. It also refers to non $ prize money. Most those SoCal females are going for that college athletic assistance. Again, the lawyers will decide. I expect USACycling Road female categories to get deader than it is, dragging all categories with it with this bill.
Old 11-13-19, 11:58 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Doge
...Just that there is a push (UCSD Boulevard RR example below) to make purses the same.

For pro races like the Tour of California there is a men's and women's race. The races are very different in length and revenue draw. I have no idea how they would make that prize identical. There would be lawsuits. It is much easier for the promoter to just cancel the women's race. ...
I thought this might lead to just the cancellation of the women's events. This is easier I think.
Cancel the whole thing. Tucson too - canceled.

Women's competitions are now T level categories. Males with low enough testosterone can compete with females, and in running, if the female is naturally too high in T, they are to take drugs to reduce.

This just establishes all but the open class is up for committee to determine what is fair, or what is a class.
Old 11-14-19, 11:10 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
If the prizes need to be equal, why aren't the races equal in length/severity?

Are men and women equal or not? Seems like coddling.
Old 11-19-19, 12:14 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Cypress
If the prizes need to be equal, why aren't the races equal in length/severity?

Are men and women equal or not? Seems like coddling.
Even if they were equal time, so what?
Many folks that work harder than other folks make less. So yea, coddling.

But aside from the social and philosophical parts of this, bike racing needs to pan out economically for those that put on bike races.
This law makes it harder to do that. I think there are ways around the law*, but those that sponsor don't want to take the hit of being labeled.

We forget age and gender classes are handicapped classes and the same as para classes (I wonder why para are separated from the gender and age classes).
If there is enough revenue from these classes, they will get money, if not, they won't. Few sports have folks paying to watch. Adding laws makes it not worth it.
Result - No Race For You.

*I recently saw a race with an Open Class (not CA) and women's class. There was no men's P12.
They pay $$$ to the winner of the open class, which anyone can enter and the winners get. I expect they knew what they were doing, and I think it was clever.

Last edited by Doge; 11-19-19 at 11:01 PM.