Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tall guy who wants a Recumbent :-)

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 03-04-20, 11:13 AM
favabean1982

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the same question about mountain bikes-I'm 6'7", but am having zero luck in finding a two-wheeled recumbent that'll fit my needs. Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-20, 12:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Possibly dangerous generalization follows: SWB is usually a better choice for tall people than LWB. Most entry-level bents are LWB. What's your X-Seam?

If you're too tall for commercial offerings, you could always talk to ADC at Recycled Recumbents - he makes 'bent frames out of old cast-off upriights.
Old 03-04-20, 10:36 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
A 6' 8" friend rode an XXL Easy Racers Gold Rush. He's a powerful rider and rode it in a couple PAC Tours- fast, supported cross-country rides that cross the U.S. in about 28 days. Unfortunately Easy Racers is all but gone.

I had an XL Gold Rush (I'm 6' 4") until last May when it broke at the head tube. I replaced it with a large RANS Phoenix. I've been riding the Phoenix for about 6 months and I like it a lot.

I just looked- there's 2 or three inches of rearward seat adjustment on my bike. I bet it would fit you fine.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 03-05-20, 10:11 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by favabean1982
I have the same question about mountain bikes-I'm 6'7", but am having zero luck in finding a two-wheeled recumbent that'll fit my needs. Any thoughts?
IMO "my needs" needs further nuancing. Being tall isn't in itself that much of a limitation. I wouldn't automatically assign you to an LWB "Easy Racer" type of recumbent just because you are new to bents. As observed by another poster, being tall is actually an advantage on 'Highracer' type bikes and certainly no big deal for 'Lowracer' riding. So ... what kind of riding do you intend to be doing? Is speed a desired quality?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 03-10-20, 03:42 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I would search the local classifieds for used Recumbents and try various styles. This way you don't spend an arm and a leg and don't loose a lot if you have to sell the bike again. I bought a few and in average spent less than $200 per bike.
I am 6'4" and started with a BikeE (XL frame) where I extended the seat back upwards. This bike is still my daily commuter. It is not a fast bike and for cruising only. You sit more upright than other "high or low racers". I was even able to get my hand on Tandem BikeE2 which I want to convert into a utility bike.
I have also bought a used large frame Lighting Phantom. But the standard seat was crap with the top crossbar pressing against my spine way below my shoulders. I had a mesh seat custom made which I still need to adjust properly. And recently I got a used 26" Baccetta Strada. Only because it was dirt cheap. But the frame is a bit too short and the EuroMesh seat is horrible. This one I will probably sell again.
Long story short: The biggest problem I had so far with recumbents are the seats. I have not found a recumbent yet for tall folks with tall upper bodies to provide proper shoulder and neck support. Therefore I am always on the lookout for a used 2 wheel recumbent to try out.
Old 03-10-20, 03:43 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
A 6' 8" friend rode an XXL Easy Racers Gold Rush. He's a powerful rider and rode it in a couple PAC Tours- fast, supported cross-country rides that cross the U.S. in about 28 days. Unfortunately Easy Racers is all but gone.

I had an XL Gold Rush (I'm 6' 4") until last May when it broke at the head tube. I replaced it with a large RANS Phoenix. I've been riding the Phoenix for about 6 months and I like it a lot.

I just looked- there's 2 or three inches of rearward seat adjustment on my bike. I bet it would fit you fine.
that sucks I had one and loved it but selling it was a bear because of so many used ones out there.