Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help with wide shoes/What are you wearing?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Help with wide shoes/What are you wearing?

Old 05-23-20, 03:39 PM
kokak
Just finidng my cadence

Bikes: Motobecane Ti Century Pro, Catrike 559

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both wide feet (EEEE) and a very high instep. the only shoes I have been comfortable with, right out of the box have been my Lake CX241... I will be picking up the MX241s later this year, once I start riding regularly again.
Old 05-24-20, 08:03 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
Thanks! Tried a bike fit on my previous bike when I used flats. Didn't help much. Probably going to go in for other with my current bike and spds once life gets a little more normal.

I do run icebug slim insoles with the metatarsal support in my Lakes. Not really sure if it helps or not but today I did almost 2.5 hours non stop for 40 miles with no toe numbness so that's one less thing to worry about (for now).
That's great news on the numbness issue! I bought some arch support insoles for cheap that I want to try. I think that may help improve my own situation, it's something I never thought of.

​​​​​
Old 05-24-20, 08:41 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
So I ended up buying a pair of Giro Gauges in a size 46 (though it was close to the same fit for a 45). The foot bed is slightly narrower then my five tens, but the upper was a good amount of mesh that allowed me feet to grow into. I liked how the heel was narrower and snug. It uses laces so that was useful in adjusting fit. I do have to completely loosen the upper laces to fit my feet in. Best of all they're cheap. I've done a 150 miles in one day, and a few 15 mile and and 30 mile rides pavement/gravel. They also have a really useful tread that is smooth and easy to walk in but features deep lugs that grip really well. They use a nylon sole so they're not super stiff.

Dislikes
- I'd like a little more width on the footbed, and I've thought about Giro's Cylinder HV. It would have a boa and probably fit really well, but I hear it may have a wider heel.
- Cheap materials. Not a deal breaker, they're plenty rugged. I haven't had chaffing but I wear two layers of thin socks.

I haven't completely eliminated problems with my pinky toe, but I have vastly, greatly improved things. I bought some arch supports so I'm wondering if that will help with the slight numbness that can creep in. Usually it's when I'm really on it for awhile. I'm thinking I need to spend a little more time getting the laces just right; I think my foot is moving slightly back and forward during harder efforts. Hoping I can lock my foot in with the supports.