Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motiv Ground Ponder build failure for posterity.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 08:18 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts

Well with a some extra time decided to build up all my wheels parts and parts bikes into working stuff and get rid of or sell the stuff that working. So I started on this one the 90 or so Motiv Ground Ponder built up the wheels 1st full build with some new spokes and nipples replaced trued brake lightly refinished by hand with fine sand paper cleaned up with fully rebuilt hubs and nicely cleaned cassttte.,kinda of a mistake but at least I can use them as spares on other bikes so not bad Got to trying to put it all together with stuff I have for a covid build . Made it ride with just a rear brake and shifter's working and road it a couple of miles to see if want to go farther rides nice but just weak I would expect a nicer chro-mo frame like this even if too small to climb nicely but this one is a pig put the pedals to it and I can feel this short frames flex a bit.

\
Old 05-15-20, 08:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Also the seat post is stuck likely larger size post pounded. I just missed sp much on this one that I would usually spot.
Old 05-15-20, 08:45 PM
zukahn1 

So end of the day this one b is likely getting scrapped for parts a and OK frame shelved.
Old 05-15-20, 09:42 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I wouldn't have thought that it would be too bad. That's unfortunate. It looks like you have some good components on there. The frame is butted Tange tubing, but if the geometry or something else is off, you best bet would be to move on. Put the wheels and parts on a more worthy bike.

Let us know what you find. I have a soft spot for 90's Trek's but there are a bunch of good bikes mountain bikes from the 90's.
Old 05-15-20, 11:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Put a torch to that seatpost for a while, then let things cool down and have another go at dislodging it. Only then can it's ride qualities be assessed.

I would bet that the frame on the Motiv is stiffer than 90% of the steel road bikes out there, so maybe just the cheap tires or inflation pressure is the issue(?).

I agree with Velo Mule that the fit and geometry are of high priority.
Old 05-15-20, 11:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
DB OS s/b V.G.

Back when Costco sold decent bikes sometimes...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-16-20, 12:08 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Costco bike,, spend your effort on somethng more worthy of your time.
Old 05-16-20, 12:21 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Ground ponder or Ground Pounder: two things you can do while high.
Likes For SurferRosa: