Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano BR-T4000 not mounting flush to brake bosses/studs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 01:29 AM
Pantsu2x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have Shimano ST-EF50-L and ST-EF50-8R long pull shifter/brake levers. I had no name TX117 (promax?) linear pull alloys.

My brake bosses have a 5mm shoulder. The BR-T4000 have a 2-3mm space to accomodate that shoulder, so they are raised about 2-3mm from the frame. The spring pin engages less than half into the hole. Since it doesn't sit flush, there's a 5mm gap between the end of the boss stud and the mounting hole on the caliper.

After 2 days of research, I haven't found anything that gives a definitive answer/solution to this. Other posts say the BR-T4000 are supposed to do that as long as the pin is engaged. Also that they have integrated pivots whereas flush mounted ones use the bosses as pivots. I have no idea what's going on.

I was looking to buy Promax P-1 or Tektro 857AL.
P-1 is listed on ebay as short pull (listing error?), the official website says nothing about long/short. I thought short pulls were for cantilever/road calipers. Shouldn't all linear/v-brake be long pull?
The Tektro 857AL seems like it would work, but I don't know.

The more I read on this, the more unsure I become. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-15-21, 06:55 PM
ChrisBrewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just discovered the same problem. I suspect the only solution might be a couple of washers, but that's only going to work if the pin for the spring is sitting far enough into the hole.

I gave up for now. Did you find a solution Pantsu2x ?
Old 01-15-21, 07:14 PM
Pantsu2x

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I bought Promax P-1's which fit my brake bosses flush. I was told the gap was okay, but I went with my gut for safety issues. I had been in an accident already, why risk brakes calipers failing or breaking off? Just looking at it seemed like a lot of stress was being put on the tip of the bosses.

Promax isn't the only company, I'm sure Tektro linears will work as well. As far as I can tell, if you're replacing Shimanos with Shimanos it will work because it seems like it is proprietary. Hope that helps.