Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My geek thread

Old 10-20-10, 02:33 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
trying to get 32 bit software to run on a 64 bit server. Should be simple, since the dual X5550 processors in these servers is a fully backwards compatible x64 processor.

If I may geek out for a moment, these servers are so badass. Dual X5550 Quad Core server processors, @ 2.66 GHz, for a total of 8 cores, and all for only $1200 per CPU.

16 Gigabytes of fast server RAM. 1 TB HD. That's a lot of power.
The amount of on-chip cache is what makes these things so awesome. Going all the way to RAM is so slow.
Old 10-20-10, 02:38 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
true, I forgot about the gigantic cache. 8MB each of L3.
Old 10-20-10, 03:26 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wens
I'm not a fan of apple's corporate philosophy. I'm not so ignorant as to think other companies are generally better, but apple seems to think that they have a "better" corporate philosophy and it gets on my nerves. I'm expressing it poorly, but I think apple has a higher opinion of itself than is merited, a bit of a holier than thou attitude, and it bugs me a lot.

I probably would buy one of their laptops though.
Basically, you're saying what everybody already knows - steve jobs is an arrogant prick. You are totally right about that, but their products are good enough IMO that I can disregard steves arrogance. Plus, he kind of has a right to be arrogant he turned apple from a lost and struggling computer company to the biggest consumer hardware company in the US.
Old 10-20-10, 03:51 PM
ericm979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apple does really good industrial design for a computer/phone company. They make decent software. I worked with the Mach kernel (inserted into BSD) before the Jobs went off and did NeXT. I got to play with those too. Mach is cool.

I understand Apple's closed philosophy, but I don't like it. And I really don't like how the window manager works, so I'd have to change it if I was going to use a Mac. But unlike Linux, you can't. Until Ubuntu 9.04 I never ran the standard window manager (and Ubuntu's is only tolerable after significant tweaking). However I am way too hands on and willing to hack on stuff to be in Apple's target market. There's been plenty of stuff make for people like me and they usuall fail in the market. So its no surprise Apple's not designing for me.
Old 10-20-10, 07:11 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Bikes: a few

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C++ binary compatibility issues are not fun.
Old 10-21-10, 09:58 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Getting ready to migrate my mailserver from zimbra 5.0.22 to 6.0.8
Just finished upgrading one of my FreeBSD machines to V8.1

Also getting ready to upgrade from ESX 3.5 to 4.1

So much to do, so little time
Old 10-21-10, 03:38 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Even the ads I'm seeing in this thread are geeky: Three different ones for servers (one for Dell and Intel Xeon cpu's, one for Dell with AMD chips, and one for a custom builder building quad processor machines in either flavor), one for laptops running Ubuntu, and one for Google Chrome.
Old 10-21-10, 03:46 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You see ads?
Old 10-21-10, 04:07 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by ericm979
You see ads?
And I hear voices.
Old 10-21-10, 04:31 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
okay gents - this is where all the persons of a certain persuasion hang out... and while I rarely am in the mood, I am right now, so here ah am.

I want to set up an RSS feed that auto-marks as "read" everything that doesn't have a certain term in it.
For example (purely hypothetical, right?)

I want my RSS feed to notify me for every Bonktown item that has the word "Reynolds" or "RXS" comes up... but not otherwise.
How can an innocent, inexperienced fellow to make this happen?
Old 10-21-10, 05:21 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Today I was with a group of students making a presentation to Siemens. They had emailed the PowerPoint two days ago, but they made a few last minute editorial changes and they wanted to upload a new version. They then take out a thumb drive and stick it into a Siemens laptop to run the presentation. My jaw dropped. Wasn't Siemens implicated in the proliferation of Stuxnet? You'd think that there would now be a corporate-wide policy against any unknown USB drive ever contacting one of their computers.
Old 10-21-10, 05:31 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Today I was with a group of students making a presentation to Siemens. They had emailed the PowerPoint two days ago, but they made a few last minute editorial changes and they wanted to upload a new version. They then take out a thumb drive and stick it into a Siemens laptop to run the presentation. My jaw dropped. Wasn't Siemens implicated in the proliferation of Stuxnet? You'd think that there would now be a corporate-wide policy against any unknown USB drive ever contacting one of their computers.
I thought Stuxnet was more targeted at the Siemens-branded industrial control(?) networks that Iran was running..

But yeah I bet if their IT guy had been there he mighta said somethin!

my race videos
Old 10-21-10, 05:38 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by mattm
I thought Stuxnet was more targeted at the Siemens-branded industrial control(?) networks that Iran was running..

But yeah I bet if their IT guy had been there he mighta said somethin!
The folks I was dealing with are involved in testing new sites in North and South America. It isn't too many "degrees of Kevin Bacon" to get anywhere else in the world.
Old 10-21-10, 09:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,572 Posts
Just finished taking the stupidass general gre. Ugh..............

I got a 480 on the verbal (my weakness) and a 690 on the quanitative section. I could have done better on the quant section but I did a poor job pacing myself and ended up with 1 min to answer the last 5 questions. Doh....

According to the ETS percentage lines, that puts me right at the mean for "physical science" majors.

I'm pissed off and a couple friends arrived in town tonight for a visit. Time to get drunk!
Old 10-21-10, 10:12 PM
zstjohn

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how about the racy Glee GQ cover?

oh wait this is the geek thread not the gleek thread.
Old 10-22-10, 06:34 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*venting*

Really hate my digital design class. Professor assigns ridiculously long labs each week involving Active-HDL, which I don't have because I own a mac. So I have to spend about 10 hours a week in a dark computer lab working on verilog code.

And I don't understand multiplexers.

*vent off*
Old 10-22-10, 07:24 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by Blackdays
*venting*

Really hate my digital design class. Professor assigns ridiculously long labs each week involving Active-HDL, which I don't have because I own a mac. So I have to spend about 10 hours a week in a dark computer lab working on verilog code.

And I don't understand multiplexers.

*vent off*
(1) What is the required platform for your school? If it ain't Apple you are SOL. If it is, then you have a valid complaint.

(2) Is the software available to run in Free BSD? If so, then you are OK. Your Apple OS is actually a slick GUI on top of an open source operating system and you should be able to make it work with a bit of tweaking. Steve Jobs has made a well paying career from stealing good stuff that other people developed. Google "Xerox Parc" and you can figure this out on your own.
Old 10-22-10, 08:45 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what's the goto config for a media server? I'm getting a bona fide workstation to replace my clapped out desktop that's weaker than my laptop. The 'boss' said keep the desktop so I'm going to slap in some drives and set it up to hold music, video, etc. It's loaded with Win7 Pro right now. Just take it out of my work domain, remove all the vpn and security software, clean out the work data, load up the media and let it rip, or is there a better way? Help me 33 nerds, you are my only hope.
Old 10-22-10, 09:12 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a fan of apple's corporate philosophy. I'm not so ignorant as to think other companies are generally better, but apple seems to think that they have a "better" corporate philosophy and it gets on my nerves. I'm expressing it poorly, but I think apple has a higher opinion of itself than is merited, a bit of a holier than thou attitude, and it bugs me a lot.
+ a couple dozen. They are beyond smug.

I probably would buy one of their laptops though.
My girlfriend, who is in Australia right now, asked me to look up the price of the 2.66 ghz 15" Macbook something or other (she kept getting redirected to the Aussie site). Looks like 2100-2300...I think that's a little pricey, myself.
Old 10-22-10, 09:17 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwible
So what's the goto config for a media server? I'm getting a bona fide workstation to replace my clapped out desktop that's weaker than my laptop. The 'boss' said keep the desktop so I'm going to slap in some drives and set it up to hold music, video, etc. It's loaded with Win7 Pro right now. Just take it out of my work domain, remove all the vpn and security software, clean out the work data, load up the media and let it rip, or is there a better way? Help me 33 nerds, you are my only hope.
Not exactly what you're looking for, I don't think, but take a look at this anyways - it's a nice little project.
Old 10-22-10, 09:31 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Hot swappable RAID.

A lot of overhead on the power supply so you don't fry the machine.

Lots of on-chip cache if you expect a lot of concurrent connections.

It can be done with a Windows OS, but a Linux OS is better.
Old 10-22-10, 10:19 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I was having DNS problems with BF sometimes, so I posted a thread in the help section of this website.

Turns out you can configure to a public DNS server instead of using your ISP automatically. I configured to Google's DNS servers, and everything is much faster now. Google pages (calender, mail) are ridiculously fast.

Definitely worth trying out. It's under TCP/IP settings for your particular connection (wireless/wired, etc). Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Old 10-22-10, 10:27 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Google tracks me enough as it is. I don't need them to know every freakin' IP address I need to resolve.
Old 10-23-10, 09:48 AM
Urthwhyte

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on what OSs you run at home and your level of technical sophistication. If you largely use Windows boxes, then Windows Home Server can't be beat, although I'd wait for Vail to come out before buying an OEM license for it.

If it's Linux and OS X at home, a nice FreeBSD or Solaris box with ZFS and RAID10 would be my choice.
Old 10-23-10, 09:51 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by mollusk
Google tracks me enough as it is. I don't need them to know every freakin' IP address I need to resolve.
I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.