Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Dual Sport riders sound off!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Dual Sport riders sound off!

Old 09-06-12, 07:12 PM
Shawn Parr

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo007
I max out at 12-15 mph on a flat street. It seems two more high gears would get me up to 20 mph. I could loose the granny gear and not worry too much. I would like to change the cassette to a 9 speed and see how it works. What else needs to be changed?
Lon my 2012 8.3 I can cruise between 15 - 17 mph depending on wind, drop down to 12 on the hills we have around here while in 2 & 5. My drivetrain OS different than yours, but that is 38 teeth in the front and 18 teeth in the back. I have 8 gears in the back, so 3 more available and a whole chainring to go up to as well.

Perhaps you have a really low cadence? I shoot for 80 - 90 rpm on the cranks, although it guesswork as I don't have a computer with cadence sensor. I know I'm spinning faster than 60 though...

I rode an 8.2 when test riding and the gears didn't feel hugely different, so you should be able to hit those speeds also. I once hit close to 29 mph on a downhill, and have cruised along at 20 mph in the middle chainring (not often though). Your bike should be able to do more than it is now without changes.
Old 09-06-12, 07:41 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo007
I max out at 12-15 mph on a flat street. It seems two more high gears would get me up to 20 mph. I could loose the granny gear and not worry too much. I would like to change the cassette to a 9 speed and see how it works. What else needs to be changed?
Using Sheldon's gear calculator, you should be able to hit a max speed of 22.3 mph @ 80 rpm.* It could be your equipment, but I suspect if you swap out to a taller gear... you still won't be as fast as you want without working harder for it.

* I used wheel size of 700x38, crank arm length of 170mm, and your highest gear combo of 48x14.

I just double checked my own stats (26"x1.5, 170, 42x11 and 80 rpms. I come out at 22.6 mph. I'm very close to hitting that at a constant when I put out the effort, but no way can I actually hit the max speed of 33.9 mph, which would require 120 rpms.
Old 09-06-12, 07:58 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Using Sheldon's gear calculator, you should be able to hit a max speed of 22.3 mph @ 80 rpm.* It could be your equipment, but I suspect if you swap out to a taller gear... you still won't be as fast as you want without working harder for it.

* I used wheel size of 700x38, crank arm length of 170mm, and your highest gear combo of 48x14.

I just double checked my own stats (26"x1.5, 170, 42x11 and 80 rpms. I come out at 22.6 mph. I'm very close to hitting that at a constant when I put out the effort, but no way can I actually hit the max speed of 33.9 mph, which would require 120 rpms.
Just for fun, I re-ran the figures, but swapped you out to a 48x11. Again all other values are the same. New potential max speed is 28.4 mph... so swapping out cassettes now when you aren't even maxing out what you already have would just be a waste of money... unless of course you want to go faster pedalling down hill.
Old 11-01-12, 05:38 AM
twc5964

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2012 Roam 2 and love it.Low end affordable bike that shifts perfectly and is fun to ride on the road and light trails.When traffic gets bad in an instant it's great to be able to go over a curb into semi rough terrain without having to worry about anything.Lockout forks are a plus also.When money permits down the road I may get the Roam XR2 or Trek 8.6 DS .I want a street oriented hybrid also but with the kind of riding I do I doubt anything with 32 or 28 tires can handle the slight punishment compared to a dual sport style bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
may 26 2012 c.jpg (101.7 KB, 245 views)
Old 11-01-12, 06:12 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Hijack time...
For some reason DS was just used for Trek marketing. I'm guessing by this thread that DS is a form of bike. Sorry for my ignorance but please give me some simple guidance. Is it a crossbike with suspension?
Old 11-01-12, 08:16 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Hijack time...
For some reason DS was just used for Trek marketing. I'm guessing by this thread that DS is a form of bike. Sorry for my ignorance but please give me some simple guidance. Is it a crossbike with suspension?
Close. Basically take a fitness bike, allow for wider tires and a suspension fork. Every brand has a DS line now...
Old 11-01-12, 08:37 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Originally Posted by no1mad
Close. Basically take a fitness bike, allow for wider tires and a suspension fork. Every brand has a DS line now...
Well bugger me. I've been on the hybrid forum for all this time and never caught on. Obviously I have my blinkers on.
Old 11-01-12, 08:56 AM
blue_cheese

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I picked up my "Dual Sport" 2012 8.4 DS, I also looked at the Norco XFR 2 and Giant Roam XR2 , I consider them the same class of bike. It seems that "Hybrid" is an even more general term. The lower end of these bikes do not have suspensions either.

Apparently these bikes are "compromises", but as I am neither a hardcore road biker and nor do I have practical daily access to actual mountains, going to the local conservation area on my bike constitutes my road and trail ride experience for the day. My criteria was: no upright seating like"comfort/cruiser", front and back hydraulic disc brakes, having both climb and road gear, and a front suspension. Having a good/comfy fit was also key. I am no expert rider and just like to have fun on my bike, I used to ride the cheap $150 wallmart bikes and wanted a more refined experience. I was after a bike that can take the abuse my abusive riding style while having a more refined road feel and being able to pick up speed. I sometimes also lug around 2 kids in a trailer on paved, gravel, and packed dirt paths and am definitely very happy with the Trek DS and I am sure I would have been just as happy with the other bikes. As for speed, on my solo bike rides along the bike path/road that I take twice a week over a 20km ride, I am averaging 27km/h (16.875 mph), the flat parts I can easily cruise at 35km/h (21.875 mph) and downhill is 47km/h (29.375 mph), the climbs vary on how steep they are and how tired I am .

I found the Norco to be the best value, but as stupid as it sounds I missed the ergo grips, it also felt the most "squishy" even with the fork locked out. I couldn't tell a tangible difference in the ride/feel between the Giant Roam XR and the 8.4DS and was generally indifferent to which bike I got.

Really the the most compelling reason for the Trek was the 2 bike discount we got for buying from the same dealer, My wife loved the Trek Verve and wouldn't budge on her decision. The Trek dealer also had the kid trailer on clearance and was willing to further extend the discount to the trailer. So 2 bikes + trailer made most sense there.
Old 11-01-12, 09:57 AM
Eagle1

Bikes: Trek 8.5 DS, Mongoose Switchback SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One week old 2013 Trek 8.5 DS.., only 10 miles on the saddle so to soon to have a love/hate relationship established yet. I will say it's a little faster than my '01' Mongoose Switchback SX

Bob
Old 11-03-12, 04:15 PM
vschippy

Bikes: CAAD 10/Avanti Cadent ER11 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polygon Heist 5.0

Ive been riding this bike for about 2 months now.
Must say Im enjoying the versatility of the bike.
Just swapped the tyres from 38 to 28s as i found I'm riding more on paved bike tracks and roads.
Made quite a difference in ease of ride and speed.
Ill just swap tyres when i know ill be riding trails with my wife and friends.
Before with 38 with 28
Attached Images
photo.jpg (101.9 KB, 274 views)
IMG_0174.jpg (100.3 KB, 263 views)
IMG_0175.jpg (101.6 KB, 247 views)
Old 11-03-12, 09:08 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by vschippy
Ill just swap tyres when i know ill be riding trails with my wife and friends.
get two sets of wheels and its even easier. Handspun Wheels has a nice 'pavement series' for quite good prices, deore xt hubs, 36h spoking and a couple different rim sizes, with or without disk hubs.
Old 11-04-12, 04:05 PM
vschippy

Bikes: CAAD 10/Avanti Cadent ER11 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks pierce good idea.
Will have to ask santa if he can bring a set foe me????
Old 11-14-12, 06:23 PM
tomg4486

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I am thinking of buying the 2013 8.4DS but am wanting to make sure I can fit stayed mudguards/fenders. Your post said you are in the process of doing this. Has it all worked out ok with the rack too? The Suntour forks have no eye to bolt the fenders on and it seems I need to purchase an angle plate and fix to the mounts as per the info on page 2 of the following pdf doc: This was the only info I could find on Suntour forks taking fenders. Appreciate it is not from Trek. https://www.whytebikes.com/downloads/...ard%20Info.pdf
Please can you post a picture of your bike with fenders (front and rear) and rack in place. Thanks.

Last edited by tomg4486; 11-14-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 07:38 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.3 (sold) '13 Trek Domane 2.0 (sold) '18 Trek Super Commuter 8s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently bought a 8.3 DS and really enjoying it. I have changed the saddle out...twice...and still can't find one I'm comfortable in for more than three or four miles. Keeping in mind that I've not ridden a bike since the 70's and you can see it's not the bike - it's me. I need a narrow snout (or whatever the front part of the saddle is called) and a wider (but not comfort-bike wide) rear section - with a good amount of padding. Chico has about 300 bike shops...ok, more like 5 good ones, so there are a lot of places to find new saddles. The LBS I bought the bike from has a very limited selection, primarily sticking with Bontranger, but they've said I can swap it out for the first 30 days. I may return the 'custom' one and go to another shop I stopped in today as they had a wide selection from a number of manufacturers.

I've added (besides the seat), new bars with wider grips and fenders, plus a small seat bag. I can see new tires in the future that will be a bit more road-oriented. I ride primarily (ha, like with 30 miles I can say 'primarily') bike trails and some dirt paths. Chico is a big bike town and has a LOT of trails, both paved and dirt.

So far, riding every day at least 3-4 miles. Today was my longest @5.5, but I'm sure I could have done 6!
Old 11-14-12, 08:04 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
fenders and suspenders don't go together very well.
Old 11-14-12, 09:11 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Originally Posted by pierce
fenders and suspenders don't go together very well.

Edited for MadProphet

Last edited by giantcfr1; 11-14-12 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 09:43 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.3 (sold) '13 Trek Domane 2.0 (sold) '18 Trek Super Commuter 8s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I admit they look (if you're referring to me) a bit odd - but they are cheap, fit decent and should keep the mud/water off of me. I intend to ride through the winter, excepting snow, so I want to do what I can to stay dry. At least from water that's already on the ground. :-) I'm glad I can provide some amusement for others. I used to say that's what I was here for.

Now if you're referencing someone else's post, please ignore this one. :-)
Old 11-14-12, 09:53 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Originally Posted by MadProphet
I admit they look (if you're referring to me) a bit odd - but they are cheap, fit decent and should keep the mud/water off of me. I intend to ride through the winter, excepting snow, so I want to do what I can to stay dry. At least from water that's already on the ground. :-) I'm glad I can provide some amusement for others. I used to say that's what I was here for.

Now if you're referencing someone else's post, please ignore this one. :-)
I'll edit my post so you can see the joke
Old 12-17-12, 01:46 PM
CabinDweller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I bought my 2012 DS 8.3 in May and could not be happier with it. We also bought my wife a Neko at the same time and she really likes it as well. Hard to beat them for good all purpose bikes!
Old 05-03-13, 07:59 AM
denizined

Bikes: Trek DS8.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post from a noob here so bare with me please..
I went into a LBS yesterday to get a tire fixed for a puncture on my crappy department store bike (worth 100 bucks at most but still a very comfortable MTB with back and front suspension and most of my rides are hard-packed dirt so relatively smooth) and saw a whole range of Trek bikes and started lusting after them immediately. Went back to the office and started researching and familiarizing myself with all this DS and FX and hybrid bike types etc etc. Went back to the LBS after work and had a chat with the mechanic about what would be most suitable for me and we decided on the DS, and specifically the 8.3 because of my budget, after a 10 minute test ride i bit the bullet and bought it and straight away hit the local 15 mile ride route which is mostly hard packed dirt (very smooth 90% of the time, slightly bumpy the rest with a bit of asphalt every now and then) and wow...

What a huge difference jumping from a crappy department bike to a 'proper' bike makes, it's hard to explain but with much less effort I was averaging 3-4mph faster (with speeds around 15mph), the whole ride seemed so much smoother, the fitting was so comfortable and the whole hour experience (15miles) was a pleasure and relaxed even though I was slightly pushing. Gear changes were nice and smooth and the bike was significantly lighter than anything I've ridden before. Next ride I'll be testing out the locked suspension on smooth asphalt but so far I am incredibly happy with my impulse buy.

Some notes: I was surprised to hear that bikes these days don't come with kickstands, the mechanic said 'just lean it somewhere whenever you have to', it's slightly inconvenient but whatever, not a big deal but will buy a bike stand for the home..
Still getting used to disc brakes, maybe my previous bike brakes were worn out but when I saw a friend walking on the path and quickly applied brakes to stop next to him the back tire started sliding surprising me a bit.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience..
Cheers
Denis
Old 08-15-13, 01:11 PM
Bill1227

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
"What?"- Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc
"Why?" - On this model/category I liked the hydro. disc brakes. In general this category reasoning= I like to ride XC Ski Trails, Rail/Trails of dirt/gravel, dirt roads along with pavement (group and workout) rural areas. I live in a four season enviroment. I don't enjoy riding heavy mud nor technical single track XC. I don't care for how MTB'ing has changed sense the early 90's simplicity.
Last evening I rode 18 miles of gravel,dirt Rails to trails combined with a venture on to a single track to dual track hiking trail and maybe a mile and one half of rural pavement in between. The evening prior I rode 23 miles via LBS,group ride on rural pavement. Air up psi on pavement and down for dirt. I still like true XC MTB'in as a fan, Olympics,etc. Also, I like the 700c wheels to and some of these cyclocross tires........

They are sort of like Cyclocross bikes with suspensions/ MTB with Cyclocross tires on 700c's and slightly different gearing than MTB....... for XC Touring rather than one hour race. Make nice gravel grinders too...............oh yea.......urban/towny/utility/lt tour pavement bikes as well, much like XC bikes do......just not built light for race and built a little better for root's,wash board dual track,fire roads,XC Ski,ATV trails imo via suspension. .
"Luv'in it?" - yea I am........... it can do a lot of things well.
Pics from last evenings 18 mile XC workout/to

Enjoy the outdoors...........

Last edited by Bill1227; 10-07-13 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 05:59 PM
SPiN 360

Bikes: 2013 Giant Roam XR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back into cycling regularly for the first time since I was a teenager. Now I'm in my 30s.

Picked up a Giant Roam XR1 early in the season - First real bike in my life. Amazing improvement over the hardware store unit I used to ride.

I'm hugely enjoying getting out there, on-road, off-road, gravel trails, wooded paths, etc. There is something to be said for feeling the sun and breeze all around you while you cruise over a bridge and see dudes fishing, wildlife, etc. Being in an air conditioned car every day has long-term effects that are hard to quantify, and being out there under your own power intimately with nature seems to recharge the spirit! It is very calming an invigorating! It makes me glad to be on 2 wheels and reminds me that this is why I got back into cycling after all.

I try to get out as often as I can - if only my work had secure bicycle parking it would be fantastic. Been through many trails in my area, and I'm signing up for the 60km Tour de Mississauga ride next month.

This has been a hugely educational endavour as I'm sucking up technical information from this forum and Sheldon Brown on just about everything. My city has group rides and each time I see how bike mechanics will make their money as other people shift while heading uphill under load and otherwise unknowingly mistreat their rides. I guess they should spend more time reading!

I've spent around $450 on accessories, gear and related tools and such so far. IMO it's money well spent and I do not regret it!

Sometimes I have mixed feelings - maybe I should have gotten a normal fork because, with the suspension fork, you always have to be conscious of when it's open/closed as taking a big bump with closed suspension can damage it. It adds additional weight and complexity to the bike, not to mention the fork has a separate service schedule! Offroad, I find it's a great help in those wooded and less manicured areas but I do feel something is missing when in group rides on pavement where you see a lot of roadies.

The Giant AnyRoad 2014 was just announced for the US and probably Canadian market and it looks amazing, but it makes me think - Why do you install drop bars? It's for comfort and aerodynamics on long rides. And the AnyRoad is not truly a road bike because the seat is not high enough to put you into that aerodynamic crouch. Maybe I am a little jealous of something that seems so nice, with lower maintenance fork, brakes, drivetrain, but the fact is I still have a great ride that has probably better on-road / off-road abilities than almost any other bike out there.

Am I in a better place than I was before? Definitely. I would not trade this for a road bike because I enjoy the wooded paths way too much. But I'd consider adding a road bike to my stable if I had someplace to store it.

Last edited by SPiN 360; 08-16-13 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 11:25 PM
supremekizzle

Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Trace Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Diamondback Trace Comp dual sport and it should be arriving tomorrow morning. I bought it primarily for its price. I'm new to dual sport and didn't want to drop a bunch of money straight away. Besides, the geometry is nearly identical to the Specialized Crosstrail Sport disc and a couple of the components are better than the specialized so why spend the extra cheddar when this one is just as good? I'll have to update on how it rides and feels after the assembly tomorrow. I'm just super happy to have a nice bike to ride to work and take off-road once in a while. Glad to be part of the dual sport community!!!!
Old 08-17-13, 05:19 AM
joelh

Bikes: Waterford Rs 22, GT ZuM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a Brooks B17. They are expensive, but are just as you describe, narrow on the front and wider under your sit bones. I have thousands of miles on my brooks saddles.
Old 08-19-13, 10:41 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill1227
"What?"- Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc
"Why?" - On this model/category I liked the hydro. disc brakes. In general this category reasoning= I like to ride XC Ski Trails, Rail/Trails of dirt/gravel, dirt roads along with pavement (group and workout) rural areas. I live in a four season enviroment. I don't enjoy riding heavy mud nor technical single track XC. I don't care for how MTB'ing has changed sense the early 90's simplicity.
Last evening I rode 18 miles of gravel,dirt Rails to trails combined with a venture on to a single track to dual track hiking trail and maybe a mile and one half of rural pavement in between. The evening prior I rode 23 miles via LBS,group ride on rural pavement. Air up psi on pavement and down for dirt. I still like true XC MTB'in as a fan, Olympics,etc. Also, I like the 700c wheels to and some of these cyclocross tires........

They are sort of like Cyclocross bikes with suspensions/ MTB with Cyclocross tires on 700c's and slightly different gearing than MTB....... for XC Touring rather than one hour race. Make nice gravel grinders too...............oh yea.......urban/towny/utility/lt tour pavement bikes as well, much like XC bikes do......just not built light for race and built a little better for root's,wash board dual track,fire roads,XC Ski,ATV trails imo via suspension. .
"Luv'in it?" - yea I am........... it can do a lot of things well.
Pics from last evenings 18 mile XC workout/tour...........
I snipped the pictures -- but that is nice looking bike. It sounds like it is serving you quite well...

I have a 2012 Trek DS 8.5 and it and it's versatility have served me quite well also: I road it all winter through snow and other nasty stuff. I also have it equipped with fenders and a rack and trunk with keep me dry as well as supplied with (most of) the stuff I need during a several hour ride. And all of that stuff contribute to it's versatility.

But, I ride 5 or 6 days a week and I found myself getting a little bored with it's utilitarian functionality. So, early this spring I bought a LeMond Poprad cyclocross (with drop bars)...

The two bikes complement each other nicely: the DS can go out in almost any condition and do well -- it's my go-to bike. The LeMond cyclocross weighs about 7 - 10 pounds less and is my fun little fair-weather sports car...

And, actually, right now I have the same tires on both: 700x35mm Kenda Happy mediums. They work really well on the packed limestone trails I ride and they have brought the two bikes closer together -- but still, they feel and ride very differently...

I love both of these bikes -- they are both great at what they do...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.