Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Cutting cast lugs for bilam?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 09:41 AM
3dvvitch 
Junior Wingnut

Bikes: 1988 Litespeed, some Lemond, Slingshot 650c, blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts

Is there a reason why you can't miter cut a cast lug for use as the sleeve in bilam construction? It seems to me this would save some labor as compared to filing down the standard 1.125 sleeve to make it less chunky.
Thanks

Old 04-03-24, 01:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
I'm confused why you wouldn't just get one of the lugs that's meant for carving at that point. Lugged mtb?

I can't imagine filing down a piece of tubing, I do it on my lathe. So in a way, I agree with your question.
Old 04-03-24, 01:42 PM
3dvvitch 
Junior Wingnut

Bikes: 1988 Litespeed, some Lemond, Slingshot 650c, blah blah

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts
Oh I kind of just forgot about those! The "lug blanks" are thinner than 1.125 x .058?

I guess partly I was curious because there are some very nicely 3d shaped lugs, like the "web" types, that would be difficult to replicate carving a blank.

Old 04-03-24, 05:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
You can always add whatever flourishes you want with extra metal. It's pretty common to do that with lugs too. We have gotten used to pointy tops on seat lugs, for example. On vintage lugs, that has to be added. Peter Weigle has posted pictures of some lugs he has done that with, for examples
Old 04-25-24, 02:03 PM
Mike94531

Bikes: Orbea Terra, Parkpre 825 MTB, Access Prowler 3.0 29er & StowAway Adventurer Folding Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This might be worth watching:

youtu.be/uK9yeHU14rk?si=XA6mv83doSaaYv9r

Paul Brodie,bilaminate construction
Old 04-25-24, 02:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Sure, using a lug as the start of a bilam joint is not at all wrong. It has all the limitations that using a lug with a pre cut shape has when not doing a bilam. People work around those limitations all the time (as Eric mentions).

So the time saved by only cutting off one socket from a lug against the time to make a single socketed sleeve is the next question. One that I think would depend more on the builder and less on the parts.

The one detail that I can think of is the process of brazing the three parts together. Do you braze the single socket lug to the tube (head tube with most bilams) then attach the top tube? Or do you do the entire joint at one session? The way many make a bilam with a self made sleeve/lug is to leave the material that the end of the top tube will touch alone, so the top tube touches the sleeve and the sleeve is touching the head tube (as an example) with no direct tube to tube contact. But when using a premade lug that has had one socker removed the two tubes will want to touch. How any filler that is already in that top tube contact area interferes with the fit up depends on skill or clean up if the joint is done in two steps.

My choice would be to make the sleeve to insure best tube end contact and better control the lug shore lines shape to one I like. The sleeve would get brazed onto the head tube first. Andy (who isn't attracted to the whole bilam thing anyway)