Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

phone holder or pocket?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

phone holder or pocket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 06:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It only makes sense to use a bar mount if you are using your phone as a head unit. Otherwise a pocket is safer.
^^This.^^

When on tour, I almost never use it while actually riding except to take some photos (others I take with my camera). Phone is in a baggie in a jersey pocket. Right pocket, to be exact. And it’s often in Airplane mode to save battery power and/or so I’m not disturbed. Not much worse than having the phone ring ring while I’m trying to enjoy myself.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-05-23 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-06-23, 07:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
^^This.^^

When on tour, I almost never use it while actually riding except to take some photos (others I take with my camera). Phone is in a baggie in a jersey pocket. Right pocket, to be exact. And it’s often in Airplane mode to save battery power and/or so I’m not disturbed. Not much worse than having the phone ring ring while I’m trying to enjoy myself.
Phone rings while riding? I've got a rotten record of hearing the phone, stopping the bike, pulling phone out and answering it before it goes to voice mail.

My record of responding to voice mail is much better. And voice mail is collected on airplane mode. Thank goodness for modern conveniences!
Old 10-06-23, 07:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
naturally. cyclist to the end
This past June I crashed hard in a park two miles from my house. I rode home with a severe concussion, bleeding all over myself and the bike. Wife tells me I walked upstairs, traumatized the children and said to her "I think I need to go to the hospital". I don't remember a thing, or the next two days either. So weird how the brain works.

btw, phone was in a zip lock bag in back pocket and stayed there.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-06-23, 08:27 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Phone rings while riding?
I keep my phone on mute while riding.
Old 10-06-23, 08:39 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Phone in the middle pocket for me, gels/nutrition in the right jersey pocket, and trash in the left. My Garmin head unit lets me know about texts/calls, but I generally don't have good service in most of the places I'm riding. If I were to overcook a corner on one of the descents up here, a phone probably wouldn't do me any good. Knock on wood, but I only have had 1 real road crash. Leaned to far into a corner and low-sided, lots of road rash and bleeding, but I was able to ride home.
Old 10-06-23, 08:45 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Fanny pack with wallet, first aid supplies, random tools.
Old 10-06-23, 08:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I have been carrting mine in a pocket in my bibs in the small of my back, but I have also used the Amphipod Airflow Endurance Waist Pack. It works great to carry a phone, drivers licence, credit card, and a few other small items. I have worn it a lot for trail running and riding. It works well. I typically wear it in the front under my jersey or tee shirt.
https://www.rei.com/product/776506/a...nce-waist-pack

Edit to add that I am almost exclusively mountain bikjing these days and don't wear jerseys, but favor tech tees instead. For road riding I am more inclined to wear actual jerseys and carry the phone in a jersey pocket.

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-06-23 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-06-23, 09:15 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I know the evidence is officially "no proven links to cancer", but why on earth would you keep a little radio transmitter pressed up against your body? I believe that when you sign your life away on a phone contract you understand that the phone will be kept at least an inch from your body (I am repeating hearsay). Phone in jersey pocket = phone is turned off.
I had a cheap phone mount that lost hold of the phone and put a chip in the screen. Lesson learned and reinforced each and every time I looked at my phone (you're a cheap bastard and not very smart). Get something functional here, you're talking about your most precious possession on earth, your phone.
If you crash hard enough to eject a phone from a Quadlock, the condition of your phone will be the last of your worries. Gravel and road riding, I use a Quadlock with the ringer and vibrate turned off. Mountain biking, phone is off and in the hydration pack.
Old 10-06-23, 10:05 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
r.e. bold I have handlebar mount on all bikes and since 2020 ----

Endo over bars on Roubaix Expert off road and stayed on
Hit by Wild Hogs twice once on a path and once on the road and stayed on
Failure to unclip so went down and stayed on
Too slow in a turn on long wheelbase RANS Velocity Squared went down and stayed on
Too fast in a turn with sand on long wheelbase RANS Velocity Squared went down and stayed on
Fell asleep on Day6 Semi Recumbent went off the road and onto a VERY PLUSH GRASS front yard and went down and stayed on
The exception that proves (disproves?) the rule! You are like a cat with 9 lives.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-06-23, 10:42 AM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I figure that I can get separated from my bike in a crash of some sort. So I want my phone to go with me just in case I can't walk or crawl to where the bike is. I keep mine in a plastic zipper bag with my wallet in my center rear jersey pocket.
Exactly. I was rear ended and plow under by a Toyota Sienna minivan. The drive tried to flee with me under the front carriage but a car in front didn't let it out of a roundabout. After it stopped, the best I could do was to crawl out of the van and to the shoulder. She tried to flee by backing out of the roundabout but was trapped another car. The bike was still under the van and the driver didn't come out of it until the police showed up some 30 minutes later. No damage to the phone but my wallet had some stretch marks and rips in the zip-lock bag. I always have the back of my phone to my back and the wallet on top of the glass. One of the bystander helped and used my phone to inform my wife of the accident. I didn't see the bike until a week later when I was able to walk without much pain (huge road rash on my behind, think a baboon's but).
Old 10-06-23, 10:53 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by kcjc
Exactly. I was rear ended and plow under by a Toyota Sienna minivan. The drive tried to flee with me under the front carriage but a car in front didn't let it out of a roundabout. After it stopped, the best I could do was to crawl out of the van and to the shoulder. She tried to flee by backing out of the roundabout but was trapped another car. The bike was still under the van and the driver didn't come out of it until the police showed up some 30 minutes later. No damage to the phone but my wallet had some stretch marks and rips in the zip-lock bag. I always have the back of my phone to my back and the wallet on top of the glass. One of the bystander helped and used my phone to inform my wife of the accident. I didn't see the bike until a week later when I was able to walk without much pain (huge road rash on my behind, think a baboon's but).
Odds of this happening are like winning the lottery. You are so lucky to be alive. I hope this driver is in prison for a good long time. I'm still keeping the phone on the Quadlock and my fingers crossed that this never happens to me.
Old 10-06-23, 11:01 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I don't want my phone on my handlebars because of vulnerability in a crash, and the size of it would be bothersome (to me, YMMV). I keep my phone in my left rear jersey pocket because I like easy access to it for taking pictures during my rides. If it was in a zippered pouch in my pocket, or in a bag on by bike, I wouldn't make the effort to get it out for pics. Quick access is important to me. Here's a pic from last night's ride...

That said, I did have a crash where my phone came out of my jersey pocket, and I didn't realize it until some time later when I wanted to take a pic. Thankfully, I was able to relocate my crash spot, and found my phone nearby, undamaged.

EDIT: canklecat 's post below reminded me...Not long ago, I got into an incident on the road with a car, and having my phone available quickly to snap a couple of pics before the car drove away was helpful.

Last edited by Eric F; 10-06-23 at 03:05 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 10-06-23, 11:55 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 45 Posts
Top tube bag or if cold enough for a jacket, in the pocket. In a Ziploc bag (rain and sweat protection).
Old 10-06-23, 01:08 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
The phone is in a Waterfield cycling wallet in the middle jersey pocket unless I am carrying a thermal vest or rain gear in the middle pocket. Then generally in the left jersey pocket.

Mike
Old 10-06-23, 01:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You can set up emergency contacts in the Garmin Connect app on your phone, and connect it via BT to your Garmin head unit. Just enable "Incident Detection" and when/if you crash, you'll hear a loud alarm sound from your phone (if you're conscious, of course.) If you're relatively okay, you can grab your phone and cancel the emergency call. Otherwise, it will dial your contact with a pre-selected message to let them know you're hurt.
Thanks Paul. I just set this up and luckily my wife agreed to accept a notification. Some days she might decline. 😊

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-06-23, 02:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Phone, ID and keys stay on my person, always. I've been hit by cars more than once and know it's easy to get separated from our bike, especially if we're unconscious.

Last time I was hit by a car, five years ago, my right shoulder was broken and dislocated. But -- purely coincidental -- I keep my phone in my left rear jersey pocket or, with baggy shorts, left rear pocket or left front cargo pocket. Just a habit, probably due in part to having better flexibility in my left shoulder. The impact knocked the wind out of me but as soon as I was able I got up, grabbed my phone with my left hand and began snapping photos, basically just making a quarter-turn and doing a 360, to document the scene. Coincidentally two photos were of the driver who hit me. Didn't help my legal case because she lied about running the light and the cop who happened to be at the intersection didn't take any independent witness statements to verify my assertion that I had the green light and the pedestrian walk signal, so there was no valid reason for the driver to have turned left across my path. But I got the photos because the phone was readily accessible.

Since then I always run video on every ride. Usually front and rear but recently my rear camera quit working properly. Not bad for four years and hundreds of hours of operation in all kinds of weather. I'd get another like it but Drift discontinued the Ghost X HD camera, which had been the best bargain in a simple documentary video camera. Unlike GoPros, etc., it's not intended to be an action camera. Drift cameras come with 5 and 8 hour batteries.

I tend to overstuff my jersey pockets with stuff that could go in a seat bag or easily accessible frame bag. I don't really need to keep my asthma inhaler, minimalist first aid kit, etc, in my jersey pocket, but that's where I usually put that stuff.
Old 10-06-23, 05:05 PM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I keep my phone in the trunk bag on the rear rack of my bike. I use ride with gps as a way to track my ride but I typically don't look at my phone while riding. Though more recently I have as I've been using my phone for pictures along the ride. And about 3 weeks ago while I was out playing cribbage, I got a call and ignored it. I got another call about 3 minutes later and it was my daughter telling me she needed a ride as she had been rear-ended in a car accident. So lately I have been paying more attention to phone calls, I can usually hear the phone ring while it is in the trunk bag behind me. I will stop the bike at a safe place and call back if it is either of my kids.
Old 10-06-23, 06:04 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
I always carry my iPhone in my rear jersey pocket. No plastic bag needed since every iPhone since the iPhone 8 has been waterproof. I always have it in a case that has a lanyard attachment and I have a lanyard that goes around my neck. That way if I pull it out while moving, either to take a photo or glance at the map, there is much less worry about dropping it. Also, if I were to crash and it came out of my pocket at least it would be attached to me.
Old 10-06-23, 08:01 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
I don't take my phone.
Old 10-06-23, 08:16 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I’ve used a Topeak ridecase phone holder for several years now. I like it so much that I put mounts on all of my bikes. It includes a great protective case, is easily attached and removed, and will not fall off.
Old 10-06-23, 08:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by mackgoo
I don't take my phone.
So, if you are hit by a car and end up in a deep ditch with a broken pelvis or leg, cannot move and no one can see you, how will you communicate with the outside world? Or is that an unrealistic scenario?

Old 10-07-23, 07:18 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by rsbob
So, if you are hit by a car and end up in a deep ditch with a broken pelvis or leg, cannot move and no one can see you, how will you communicate with the outside world? Or is that an unrealistic scenario?
I think back and not all that many years ago carrying a phone wasn't an option. In my 60 some years of riding I have never been in a situation where having a phone with me was life or death. Much of my riding and other outdoor activity has been off road where there wouldn't have been a signal any way. So relying on a phone other than maybe a sat phone would have been a bad idea if I really thought I had a life or death need for one. I have considered a Garmin InReach or similar, but have never made the purchase mostly due to my distain for the monthly fees.

On the other hand... I don't see much or any downside to having a phone along. Having it as a camera, navigation device, or fitness data collection device would each individually be justification for me. Pairing it with my garmin watch enhabces some of the phone's uses as well. The biggest reason I carry mine... it gives my wife some, perhaps false, sense of security .

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-07-23 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-07-23, 07:39 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
People who consider that a realistic scenario to fear, should protect themselves and never venture out of the range of cell phone coverage. Perhaps an audio warning app can be installed on their phone to warn them that they are entering the forbidden "dangerous zone" of no cell phone coverage, just like an electronic fence keeps a pet dog from venturing beyond the master's property line.

Another solution for those who fear being crippled and out of touch would be to never ride alone.
Old 10-07-23, 08:29 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
People who consider that a realistic scenario to fear, should protect themselves and never venture out of the range of cell phone coverage. Perhaps an audio warning app can be installed on their phone to warn them that they are entering the forbidden "dangerous zone" of no cell phone coverage, just like an electronic fence keeps a pet dog from venturing beyond the master's property line.
Interestingly enough, the times and places where an event where you might be in one of those scenarios is where there is the greatest chance of a nonexistent signal. Still as I have said I don't see much reason not to take a phone along on most rides.
Old 10-07-23, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

Another solution for those who fear being crippled and out of touch would be to never ride alone.
Who said anything about fear?

Going by your logic, those that carry tubes, pumps and tools to fix other roadside emergencies must have a lot of fear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.