Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best (non-cellphone) camera to ride with?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 03:19 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts

Recent camera thread got me thinking. What is the BEST very small, light digital camera to take on rides (EXCLUDING PHONE CAMERAS, OK)? I've a Sony A6000 mirrorless, great camera, ok if I have a decent sized handlebar bag, but too big for the jersey pocket and sketchy for shooting while riding. Pal just ordered a Sony RX100, think V5. We checked a more recent version out at a pro camera shop, it might just be the deal?

Old 10-25-23, 03:50 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Best?
Probably not best, but a good value or compromise would be the Canon Powershop ELPH 350 point & shoot that I've been using for about 6 years.
It easily fits in a jersey pocket and can be pulled out, turned on, zoomed, and composed with one hand.
Great for those quick shots during a ride...

or somewhat more composed shot when stopped...

I think the current version is the ELPH 360.
Your Photos May Vary, as well as your preferences.

I did have to add a stick-on grip to the front of the camera to make it easy to handle with one hand. Not sure who made it, but it's been quite useful!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-25-23, 03:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Just remember, don't take anything in the field you can't afford to loose...
Old 10-25-23, 04:07 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
My recommendations would only cover film cameras.
Likes For George Mann:
Old 10-25-23, 04:12 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
For quite a while I was using the Panasonic Lumix GM5 as my cycling/skiing camera. It's the smallest relatively large sensor camera available (Micro four thirds sensor) with interchangeable lenses and a viewfinder. However, the iPhone cameras have gotten so good that now I just use my iPhone 13 Pro with a tether (so that I don't drop it while riding/skiing). It produces images that are as good as, or in some cases even better than the Lumix.

Likes For davester:
Old 10-25-23, 04:40 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Years ago, I worried about dropping my small Canon Elph, when shooting while riding.
So I used the thin wrist lanyard along with a loop of cord that went cross-body to the lanyard. I just slide the camera through it's lanyard loop, around the cord. That makes a reversible knotted connection to the cord loop. The cord is sized to be comfortably long enough, but not have a lot of excess cord.

Dust. I have a retired Panasonic LX100, with a large sensor and a good zoom in a tiny package. But after a couple of years of light usage, there's annoyingly noticeable dust on the sensor. It's most obvious in blue skies, where it shows up as round blobs. The camera needs to be disassembled to clean the sensor, and that's not cost effective. Dust gets in when the zoom is extended and retracted to it's parked position, there's no way to avoid it. (Perhaps newer cameras have more effective seals and dust filters on the air intakes? Air must enter and leave the lens body or it couldn't change it's length.

{Phone camera warning!} That Canon is long retired. I have a Speck grippy case on my Samsung S21 Ultra, and it stays in my middle jersey pocket. I've never even come close to fumbling or dropping it.
To shoot one handed: Double click the power button to launch the camera app without logging in, then use the secondary floating shutter button, that I've moved to be right under my index finger when holding it one-handed. Fast and effective. An actual camera would be much better with fall and winter gloves, and better in low light or scenes with deep shadows and bright sunny parts. It might be better at video too. Otherwise the phone is very good.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-25-23 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-25-23, 04:57 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
RX100 series a solid choice, biggish sensor, very useful zoom range. No sealing of any kind so needs attention WRT moisture and dust.

The now old Lumix GM series are tiny m4/3 cameras giving access to a huge array of lenses. GM5 has an EVF so more useful, and there are pancake primes and zooms.

Lots of long-discontinued high end fixed lens compacts from all the makers to ponder, such as the Lumix LXs, Canon Gs, etc. Submergibles, such as the Olympus Tough series have no EVF but you do not have to worry about hurting them.

Happy shopping!
Old 10-25-23, 05:17 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 2,613 Posts
I tried this one on my last tour. Kind of slowed me down.

Old 10-25-23, 05:27 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

Gugie can do tripod braze on bosses for your bike-studio!
Old 10-25-23, 05:33 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Recent camera thread got me thinking. What is the BEST very small, light digital camera to take on rides (EXCLUDING PHONE CAMERAS, OK)? I've a Sony A6000 mirrorless, great camera, ok if I have a decent sized handlebar bag, but too big for the jersey pocket and sketchy for shooting while riding. Pal just ordered a Sony RX100, think V5. We checked a more recent version out at a pro camera shop, it might just be the deal?

Several thoughts: Pulled my Elph 160 out of my jersey at Cino Heroica (90+ degree day) to find I had 'steamed' the camera. It dried overnight, but visible moisture. My wife took it to Peru and dropped it, dislodging an optical part somewhere in the line, and it's no longer providing a flat field of image. Dead. On a similar level, same thing with one of my non sealed wristwatches, sweated moisture into one. Also, any self extending lens will be prone to dust in the motor drive somewhere. I now relegate the camera to a handlebar bag and use a watch with a sealed back cover.
Old 10-25-23, 05:51 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I know you said no cell phone cameras. But honestly, 6144x8192 50.3 megapixels in the palm of your hand really is kind of hard to ignore here in 2023...and it's not even a so-called "flagship" model. Just an "off-brand." I have no idea what the flagship premium Apples and Samsungs are doing these days. The Nothing Phone 2 only cost $700. Cheaper than a Sigma SD14 or 15 (If you can find one) & is 10x the effective resolution manzanas-to-naranjas And every bit as equal going the other way(Phone worst to Signa best.)

If I had to take a dedicated, no other utility or function, digital camera only, camera; Then a Sigma with the Foveon direct image sensor would be the bees-knees. I'd definitely pull the filter and always do the always super cool infrared photography thing.

Last edited by base2; 10-25-23 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-25-23, 11:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
I'm assuming that you want to take pictures while riding.

I have two point and shoot cameras for bike tours/rides. The first is a Fuji waterproof point and shoot, for tours/rides that may be on the wet side. The second is a Canon point and shoot for better quality when weather won't be an issue.

If you're riding and taking pictures, the risk of dropping it are reasonably high, so I don't want too much money invested in it. Speed to pictures is another thing I'm interested in, many times there isn't much time to get your camera out, fired up, and picture taken. Lastly, it has to be small enough to fit in the pocket of my front handlebar bag or in my shirt or jersey pocket and easy to get to.

Today's point and shot cameras have tons of pixels, and many have decent optics. Even a relatively inexpensive point and shoot will take a good picture nowadays.
Old 10-25-23, 11:22 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by George Mann
My recommendations would only cover film cameras.
C&V approved
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-26-23, 06:46 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
On longer tours I use a Canon Powershot Elph. Small, has a lanyard, nice optical zoom, pretty sturdy. Got it used so if it dies I'll just find another one on eBay.
Easy to pull from the pocket, shoot and replace. Takes a pretty decent picture, too.

But most of the time just use the iPhone. Just got a lanyard for it (thanks for the tip, Dave!) so am less concerned about dropping it while moving.
Mrs. Doc has one of those Sony cams. High zoot stuff but I'd hate to drop it.

Last edited by rccardr; 10-26-23 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For rccardr:
Old 10-26-23, 08:27 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
For the past couple of years I've been carrying a

Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II.

I got it used and it does better than my cellphone. To keep from "steaming" it up I do carrying it a carry pouch in my jersey pocket. Messed up the built in metal lens cover about a year ago and had to remove it so that the zoom lens would retract. Been carrying it every since with plastic lens cap on it.

Sometimes I want more zoom so I am looking to replace it and will be eagerly following this thread.
Old 10-26-23, 08:36 AM
George Mann

Originally Posted by P!N20
C&V approved
Well then, my main carry camera is a Nikon FG, with a 35mm f/2.5 Series E lense. I carry it in a small padded fanny pack.

I normally shoot Flick Film Electra 100 (Kodak Aerocolor), Fuji 200, Kodak Colorplus/Gold 200 in it.

When I take out my Nikon FM with my Nikkor 50mm f/2 Ai and 35mm f/2.8 Ai lenses, I shoot Ilford Delta 100 (Toshiba medium yellow filter)

When I am out shooting Kodak Ektachrome E100, I take my Nikon F90x with the 2 Nikkors listed above with the appropriate warming and cooling filters.

All lenses are used with the correct hoods.

I have many other film cameras, and 2 digital cameras (Nikon D2x and D300s). But I don't normally take those out these days.
Old 10-26-23, 08:40 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Buying used is a good idea. They live a hard life in a cycling environment.
The best one to pull out of a pocket and shoot on the fly was a Panasonic TS25 (now discontinued).
Small, lightweight, simple to operate, water and shock proof.
I lost it on a rough trail ride in the woods when it bounced out of an unsecured pocket in my h'bar bag.
Sure do miss that little camera.

Looks like you can still find a new one on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...00KHW3HRY?th=1
Old 10-26-23, 08:43 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have a Lumix DMC ZS10 that I use to use a lot until the Pixel 6 Pro phone pictures matched or exceeded the quality. I always carry my phone with me so why carry more?
The replacement Pixel 8 Pro is a 50mp camera with tele out to 30x with impressive post processed pictures. Add AI into the mix and now a majority of point and shoot + capability replaces the bulkier small cameras. Using the volume button for "shutter release" makes one handed picture less risky.
At one point I was considering DSLR, but not for bike rides.
Pixel 8 Pro Technical Specs: Tensor, Camera, AI, Photos - Google Store
PXL_20231020_150446887.RAW-01.COVER bon Flickr
PXL_20231023_213123058.RAW-01.COVER on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 10-26-23 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 10-26-23, 08:47 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
For sticking in a jersey “scoop”, I love the Ricoh GRD IV. That camera is amazing for what it puts out and what it’s been through. Incredible battery life. That said, if it had to be digital and current, I’d personally go with one of the Olympus Tough cameras that can take water and impacts. If I’m shooting film on a long, unsupported tour it would be a Nikonos V with 35mm and 80mm lenses. If that tour were to take me through a combat zone, Nikon F2.
Old 10-26-23, 08:47 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

Wardrobe is what's slowing you down. Try a shorter coat and less baggy pants next time.

Originally Posted by base2
But honestly, 6144x8192 50.3 megapixels in the palm of your hand really is kind of hard to ignore here in 2023...
Resolution is a relatively minor (bad pun alert....) part of the picture. Sensor size/quality and the glass still make a huge difference.

My P&S are Nikons, all with Nikkor optical zoom glass and built-in flash. Most compact is an S7000; easily fits in a jersey pocket, even with a spare battery in a pouch, but only "scene" options, not a true mode dial, so limited in its capabilities.

Next larger is the S9700 - true P,S,A,M mode dial for manual flexibility, bigger glass, pop-up flash. Only a little larger than the S7000, but a jersey pocket carry is (literally) a stretch:

Larger cousin to the S9700 is the A1000. Feels more like a "real" camera, with an eye-level EVF (handy for bright days), side zoom toggles, etc. 4K video, same battery as the S9700 (bonus). Definitely requires a handlebar bag or rack-topper (or more):

I'm used to shooting aperture-priority otherwise, so I gravitate toward carrying the "middle" of these three. I have carried a DSLR, but that's more for when I'm riding somewhere to shoot, not just shooting while on a ride. Often it's to get quality (good enough to violate OfferUp rules) shots for a bike I'm selling.
Old 10-26-23, 08:53 AM
George Mann

Originally Posted by PhilFo
If that tour were to take me through a combat zone, Nikon F2.
My F2 is dying to get out, and the way things have been going lately, it may literally be doing so in order to get the picture of the unfolding chaos and calamity!
Likes For George Mann:
Old 10-26-23, 06:12 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Resolution is a relatively minor (bad pun alert....) part of the picture. Sensor size/quality and the glass still make a huge difference.
I don't doubt that one bit. The Foveon X3 image capture sensor measures 23.5×15.7mm which to my mind sounds pretty big. Here is a very informative link to a Wikipedia article.

I think I like the SD14/SD15, et;al based on the principal of operation nore than any other reason. Actual measure and recording of a given pixels color at each layer as it passes through 3 layers of red/green/blue sensitive silicon rather a single all purpose layer & making the color fit according to a an algorithm based on the pixels surrounding a given pixel...To me, starting with better data, so to speak; the Foveon just seems a better way to make an image than the standard (& probably cheaper to manufacture) Bayer sensor. I can have opinions.

Last edited by base2; 10-26-23 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 07:19 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I use an Olympus FE-310 (8 mega-pixels), but found it can get roughed-up in my saddlebag or fanny-pack, so I now keep it in a pocket on the back of my jersey. Actually, I need to buy a new one, because it getting jostled knocked out the display.
Old 10-27-23, 08:11 AM
L134 

Bikes: 1978 Bruce Gordon, 1977 Lippy, 199? Lippy tandem, Bike Friday NWT, 1982 Trek 720, 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 1983 Bianchi Specialissima?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 107 Posts
I used an Olympus TG on tour because it is waterproof and shock proof. For the most part it did what I wanted, is small, and I had no worries about protecting it from the weather.
Likes For L134:
Old 10-27-23, 10:30 AM
tremolo1965
Human-Powered

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Suburban, 1973 Raleigh Sports, 1978 De Rosa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 36 Posts
Not this...
Likes For tremolo1965:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.