Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Using a tool you didn't expect to need

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Using a tool you didn't expect to need

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 01:20 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I carry this in my tool bag:

Unior 1669/4 2 in 1 pocket spoke and cassette lockring tool

It works OK with 3.3 mm nipples, especially in a pinch - and can also remove and tighten a cassette lockring.

Relja Don'tLetAnythingSurpriseUs Novović
Old 01-25-24, 07:14 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Quoting myself - everything didn't quite work out............I need a new cartridge bearing.
Quoting myself again. Talked it over at the bike shop today and determined that it was the crank arm that stripped out, not the bottom bracket.
Old 01-26-24, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Quoting myself again. Talked it over at the bike shop today and determined that it was the crank arm that stripped out, not the bottom bracket.
Yea, that’s going to happen. A loose square taper crank is basically a ruined crank. Do yourself a favor and use a torque wrench to make sure the bolt won’t come loose (35 to 45 ft-lb). Also replace your crank bolts with ones that use an 8mm allen wrench to tighten. At least then you can carry the right tool to get you home. You’ll probably still have to replace the arm but at least you can finish your ride.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-30-24, 07:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Lots of really good ideas here, especially from @cyccommute. What's a film canister? Just kidding. Did you find the lockrings came off many various freewheel brands? I saw it only on the SunTour freewheels. Damn pain in the butt.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-30-24, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
What's a film canister? Just kidding. .
I remember those! Nowadays, I save old pill bottles for anything that use to need a film cannister.
Old 01-30-24, 10:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Lots of really good ideas here, especially from @cyccommute. What's a film canister? Just kidding. Did you find the lockrings came off many various freewheel brands? I saw it only on the SunTour freewheels. Damn pain in the butt.
I have a treasure chest filled with film canisters buried on a desert island. No, I won’t share the map

The freewheels I had the problem with were Suntour. I learned to hate Suntour freewheels for various reasons, of which that was one. I went through so many freewheel removers with those damned freewheels as well as getting really good at destructive removal of them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-04-24, 09:36 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
On my touring bike I carry a couple of FiberFix spokes, then I don't need a tool to remove the rear cluster with.

I keep my bikes up pretty good, I haven't had a breakdown for a very long time, maybe 25 years ago. I wasn't watching where I was going closely enough and hit a stick that was sticking out, my front wheel hit it and broke a spoke on a 36 spoke rim, the rim had just a slight wobble, I adjusted it back to like new and rode home. That was the first time and the last time I had to use a spoke tool while on the road.