Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring the Savannah River Valley in early October?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 07:02 PM
gitane76

Bikes: '06 novara randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying to assess the feasibility of doing a short solo tour from Clemson, SC through
the Savannah River Valley to the Savannah area. The route I would be taking
parallels the South Carolina / Georgia border for about 300 miles or so. I haven't
seen too much in the way of posts on either Bikeforums or Crazyguy regarding this area.
Is anyone familiar with it from a touring perspective? The route I am using comes from
The South Carolina State Trails Program Bike Guide and I guess was last updated in '08
(https://www.sctrails.net/trails/alltr.../savannah.html). Most of the roads seem
to be South Carolina state highways which do pass through a number of state parks
but only a couple of cities of any size ( Aiken and Beaufort). If anyone is familiar
with the state of the roads down there I would appreciate their impression. I plan to travel
from Charlottesville, VA to Clemson by train with my bike in one of their( Amtrak's) boxes and probably
fly out of Savannah back to Charlottesville since both the trains and buses will take way too long
for the amount of time that I have too work with. I was wondering if anyone knew of a fairly friendly
way into Savannah from either Yemassie or Beaufort. I would like to see the historic part of the city
if time allowed . I expect to average 40 to 50 miles a day with my 40 pounds of gear( I will be camping).
I have done two short( 7 or 8 days long) solo tours before of the North Carolina Outer Banks/Pamlico Sound
and the California Coast (San Francisco to Santa Barbara).
Old 08-06-12, 08:28 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
sounds like a great tour as I live near this area and have ridden many times near where you want to go. I would recommend crossing into Georgia on US 301 riding down to Sylvania, then following the GA bike route 85 right into City Hall into downtown Savannah. GA bike route 85 is very well marked.
Old 08-07-12, 04:29 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Good time of year to be touring down there. The general route looks fine. I have not ridden that specific route though. BTW that is Yemassee, SC

Also just a heads up, you will not be able to get the bike off in Clemson, according to the Amtrak website that is a non baggage station. You will probably have to get off at Greenville, SC.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-07-12, 07:29 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I used to live in Savannah and rode extensively in that part of Georgia and SC, but that was 25 years ago. I can tell you that the roads are mostly flat! I always enjoyed riding in that area and completed my first century as well as tour (BRAG) while living there. Definitely make some time to see downtown Savannah. IMHO, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the USA. We moved there right after getting married, and it was like having a 2-year-long honeymoon.
Old 08-07-12, 07:37 AM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just be careful if you get off your bike in Savannah. It can dissappear quick.
Old 08-07-12, 12:12 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
GA DOT "bicycle maps" with roads color-coded according to traffic count:

https://www.dot.ga.gov/travelingingeo...ages/Maps.aspx
Old 08-07-12, 08:52 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Piratebike
Just be careful if you get off your bike in Savannah. It can dissappear quick.
Yea, and not just from thieves, the police are very funny about where you chain up your bike in Savannah, the safe bet is to chain it up where other bikes are already at.