Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you keep the factory saddle on a new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 08:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I know it's 'conventional wisdom' to upgrade the saddle after buying a new bike; however, I've never seen any reason to. With the bikes I've bought new, the saddle fits me fine and is comfortable. That's 4 of 4 bikes I've got new over the last 10 years. In fact, the saddle that came with the Kona Dew Drop was amazingly durable, 10,000 miles of riding (& one bad wreck) before replacing it with a Brooks (love it)

On the other hand, my wife has never fit the saddle on a new bike - not one. That's 3 of 3 bikes over the last 5 years.

So, do you replace the saddle because of fit or 'cause it's the thing everybody does?
Old 12-18-14, 08:38 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,219 Times in 1,491 Posts
Whatever works for you. I have pretty much the same saddle on all my bikes but saddles are never a problem for me. I can ride just about any saddle without complications. So if what comes on your bike is fine, why change?
Old 12-18-14, 08:45 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
What's a factory saddle? I keed. I keed. Actually I haven't bought a factory assembled bike in over 30 years. I ride only one saddle brand/model now and it goes on every bike I put together. No exceptions. There is only one kind of saddle upgrade, and that is to be more comfortable. Nothing else matters. If your new bike saddle is the most comfortable you know of, then keep riding it. If you know of a more comfortable saddle that you like better, make the change. Easy-peasey.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-18-14, 08:48 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22750 Post(s)
Liked 9,133 Times in 4,240 Posts
Like most inquiries in the 41, the correct answer is "it depends."

Some folks are very choosy about their saddles and will swap out a stock one for their preferred model. Some are so loyal to a certain model that they hoard a few of the current version (since the manufacturers sometime change models, sometimes even when they don't change the name!).

Others are fine with any given saddle.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle.
Old 12-18-14, 08:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Mine lasted 4000 miles, then it cracked.

Old 12-18-14, 08:57 AM
Zapdaba

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 2012, Specialized Stump jumper HT comp carbon, Swobo Sanchez custom build single speed freewheel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Roubaix came with a Toupe + and it looked too minimal to be anything other than a butthurt knife; however, it proved to be a perfect fit. My Stumpjumper hard tail came with a Phenom and I had the same feeling before I rode it. But it also proved to be perfect for me and for the bike. When I recently built up a single speed frame, I almost accidentally included a brooks B17 Special saddle. I confess, I just liked the patina of the leather and how it fit cosmetically with everything else I was doing to the bike. That saddle was 4 years old and just broken in. I can't believe how comfortable it is. It amazed me.
Old 12-18-14, 09:14 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
When I bought my Felt Z2 several years ago, the factory seat and my butt did not agree so I moved my Specialized Ronin over from my Lemond. When I bought the Felt AR early this year, I was prepared to move the Ronin again or buy another one but decided to try the standard seat and lo and behold, it was just fine. The lesson - try before changing
Old 12-18-14, 09:22 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They go straight to eBay with the wheels.
Old 12-18-14, 09:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5915 Post(s)
Liked 3,568 Times in 2,121 Posts
Wait, you can buy bikes that come complete with saddles, ?
Old 12-18-14, 09:38 AM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bought my last bike, I had the shop put the saddle I wanted on it before I even picked it up. I don't what they did with the one that came with the bike, probably sold it. It was a men's bike, and I am a woman. Men's saddles do NOT fit me, so I didn't even consider it.
Old 12-18-14, 10:00 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Mine lasted 4000 miles, then it cracked.
...from the weight of my gear hanging off it.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 12-18-14, 10:48 AM
jrossbeck

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I got my first road bike, I had been on this forum for a short while, as at that time I was riding a hybrid. I expected to hate the stock saddle, but I guess I got lucky and the Bontrager Affinity fit me just fine. I've gone as far as two hours with little/no discomfort.

When I got my 2nd road bike, a used Specialized, I tried the stock seat the owner still had - hated it. Got another saddle from a friend - hated it. I recently got a clearance Selle Willier, and it's okay (I'm on a trainer) but come next season there's a good chance I may just get another Affinity to match, or something very similar to that (I've heard good things about the Paradigm).
Old 12-18-14, 11:03 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Negative.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-18-14, 11:16 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by bikemig
Wait, you can buy bikes that come complete with saddles, ?
Go figure, huh?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-18-14, 11:32 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by happyscientist
When I bought my last bike, I had the shop put the saddle I wanted on it before I even picked it up. I don't what they did with the one that came with the bike, probably sold it. It was a men's bike, and I am a woman. Men's saddles do NOT fit me, so I didn't even consider it.
Now that makes a lot of sense!

My wife's bikes have all been WSD; however, her seat bone width is not typical. She's loved the Brooks (forgot the model) she got this summer for her city bike. She has Selle Italia on her two road bikes, think that's the Diva model.
Old 12-18-14, 11:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Nachoman
Negative.
Do you replace the saddle for fit, style, weight, just because.... just curious.
Old 12-18-14, 11:50 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
replacing a saddle is upgrading?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 12-18-14, 12:08 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
It is if the stock saddle hurts like a mutherhugger after 10 miles. First think I replaced on my CAAD10 was the Prologo Buttaxe. I currently have a $10-on-Amazon Vader on there, and at a quarter the retail price of what it replaced, it's a massive upgrade.
Old 12-18-14, 12:08 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Do you replace the saddle for fit, style, weight, just because.... just curious.
Once you find a saddle that fits, you stick with it. Every bike I have, has a specialized saddle.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-18-14, 12:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by coasting
Originally Posted by Leinster
It is if the stock saddle hurts like a mutherhugger after 10 miles. First think I replaced on my CAAD10 was the Prologo Buttaxe. I currently have a $10-on-Amazon Vader on there, and at a quarter the retail price of what it replaced, it's a massive upgrade.
I think you two are really saying the same thing. Having a comfortable saddle is not an upgrade, because it is the minimum acceptable condition.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-18-14, 12:14 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Nachoman
Once you find a saddle that fits, you stick with it. Every bike I have, has a specialized saddle.
That's where my wife is at, she's tired of finding out the factory saddle is causing pain. New bike, buy one of the two that work. Me... I haven't found one that causes me issues. Not sure what that says about my butt ... ?
Old 12-18-14, 12:17 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't even test ride bike with the stock saddle... so, no, I am not keeping the stock saddle unless it happens to be a Specialized Romin EVO Expert/Pro.
Old 12-18-14, 12:27 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHKiGl02NmU (Caution, this may not be safe for work due to language, etc, I don't remember what all was in it.)

My Worksman cruiser and my Raleigh Sojourn both came with comfy saddles, and I used them.
Old 12-18-14, 12:34 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hypno toad huh?? i know someone from another beer related forum that uses that avatar, just sayin.
Old 12-18-14, 12:34 PM
Agent Cooper

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No, I've never kept a factory spec saddle. Not because I have some principle against doing so, I've just never been lucky enough to get one that fit me correctly.

As far as the bike company picking a saddle that fits a majority of riders, I'm sure they do their best but I don't think it's a reasonable expectation. The odds just aren't in their favor.

Saddle preference is probably the most subjective area in a highly subjective activity.

Last edited by Agent Cooper; 12-18-14 at 12:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.