Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

BEHOLD! The wal-mart fixie....

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

BEHOLD! The wal-mart fixie....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 08:20 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
I'm not going to say that Wally World bikes are high quality but they are what they are and that is decent and inexpensive means of transportation. Their high failure rate can be attributed more to improper assembly and non-existent setup/adjustments at the store compounded by user error... many people keep their tires under-inflated because they think the tires will otherwise blow out... the chain only gets lubed in the rain when it's splashed by road-grime... the owner is so clueless that he/she realizes something is wrong with the bike only at the point of catastrophic failure... anything that breaks or loosens up gets 'fixed' with tape, string or JBWeld.
You are probably correct in many cases, however, per my post above some of the bikes are such terrible cheap garbage that even if they are adjusted and maintained properly they will still not last very long. I have all the proper tools and necessary experience building and maintaining bicycles, however, the two XMart bikes I assembled for my friend's kids were beyond hope. The frames were badly out of alignment, some of the spoke nipples were already stripped and the brakes could not be adjusted to provide adaquate stopping power. The difference between XMart and a proper bike store is that the former does not have an acceptable minimum threshold of quality, whereas the latter does.
Old 03-26-10, 08:20 AM
ichitz
Nü-Fred

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn
I've heard that your average dept. store bike (Wal Mart, Target, Etc.) is only ridden like 50-60 miles before it's trashed, so the Dept. Stores just starting making their bikes to that standard. I don't claim any truth to this because it was just hearsay, but I don't think it'd be that far of a stretch.
yea, wouldn't be surprised. I have a friend own a cheapo huffy from kmart. She has about 60 miles on it. Maybe 100miles max. Unsure. Anyway, that thing weighs about 40lbs. The derailleur run into some problem everytime she rides. Wheels are crap, brakes are crap. Finally convinced her to get a 2nd hand road bike. Phew.
Old 03-26-10, 08:51 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You are probably correct in many cases, however, per my post above some of the bikes are such terrible cheap garbage that even if they are adjusted and maintained properly they will still not last very long. ... The difference between XMart and a proper bike store is that the former does not have an acceptable minimum threshold of quality, whereas the latter does.
I agree... some dept store bikes are nothing short of being utter POS.

In the case of this Mongoose Cachet, I can't wait for the chance to inspect one. IMHO although it appears to not share any components with the Mongoose Maurice, I suspect it'll still be a perfectly servicable and reliable year round city bike for me. All for a price below what I was going to pay for an aluminum frame alone.

Taken from the UK Mongoose site:
https://www.mongoose.com/gbr/eng/mtn/...-Maurice-CroMo
https://www.mongoose.com/gbr/eng/mtn/...Maurice-(CroMo)
https://www.mongoose.com/gbr/eng/mtn/...Maurice-Hi-Ten
Old 03-26-10, 01:03 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The frame size looks halfway decent compared to the vast majority of wal-mart bikes being way too small.
Old 03-26-10, 01:11 PM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Well, it's finally over ... the Fixie Fad is no longer cool ...
Methinks you're about 5-6yrs late on that one.
Old 03-26-10, 01:25 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by LupinIII
did you know they sell the denali road bike at walmart too?

someone go tell road cycling, i don't think they know that road bikes have been made redundant by walmart years ago.
Toche!

BTW, I remember most here talkin' **** about the Schwinn Madison, I bought one anyways and have put many many miles on it since. Its still just as sweet as the first day I bought it. Sure I replaced different parts on her from time to time, but who doesn't?
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 03-26-10 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 01:52 PM
itsjustMATT
Fxd '86 Bianchi Strada LX

Bikes: Fixed 1986 Bianchi Strada LX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ilikebikes:

Standard consumers who know nothing about bikes don't replace things. They go, oh hay, I has a bike. Ride ride ride break death. Someone on the product review site in the original post stated that to change the chainring, you have to drill through rivets. Rivets. Come on. What did they do? Weld the wheels into the dropouts, too? It seems to me, Wal**** knows that the standard consumers aren't going to replace things on the bike, due to the fact that they just don't know how or what to replace. And plus, Wal**** doesn't sell chainrings, do they? "MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SWITCH OUT CHAINRINGS ON OUR BIKES" says Wal**** CEO.

Last edited by itsjustMATT; 03-26-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 02:33 PM
ismellfish2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=ilikebikes;10581607]Toche!

Haha- do you think that rhymes with "cachet"? Somebody at Walmart has a sense of humor.
Old 03-26-10, 02:41 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by itsjustMATT
And plus, Wal**** doesn't sell chainrings, do they? "MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SWITCH OUT CHAINRINGS ON OUR BIKES" says Wal**** CEO.
I highly doubt that WalMart higher-ups have any knowledge of what a chainring is.
Old 03-26-10, 02:51 PM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@ilikebikes:

Standard consumers who know nothing about bikes don't replace things. They go, oh hay, I has a bike. Ride ride ride break death. Someone on the product review site in the original post stated that to change the chainring, you have to drill through rivets. Rivets. Come on. What did they do? Weld the wheels into the dropouts, too? It seems to me, Wal**** knows that the standard consumers aren't going to replace things on the bike, due to the fact that they just don't know how or what to replace. And plus, Wal**** doesn't sell chainrings, do they? "MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SWITCH OUT CHAINRINGS ON OUR BIKES" says Wal**** CEO.
I bet I can find several thousand products at Walmart that they don't sell replacement parts for. "Oh no, a button on my TV broke, **** that stupid Walmart CEO for not selling replacement parts" "Oh no, I don't like the wheel size on my lawnmower, **** that stupid CEO for not letting Walmart sell different sized wheels for every lawnmower"
Old 03-26-10, 04:02 PM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ilikebikes:

Another issue that needs to be adressed is the elitism within many parts of the cycling community. The I am better than you vibe quite a few LBSs have. When I got back in to skate boarding I was lucky to find a super helpful and friendly shop but they are not always like that. Where I live there is around 15-20 bike shops and many have an atitude. Where I am from we only had 3 shops and 2 out of those three had a huge atitude too... So with that in mind and not even taking into account other riders on the street, would you as someone with limited funds and new to biking want to be seen with a walmart bike? Hypothetically it could be a sweet bike on par with say a kilo tt or surly and just having the walmart connections would instantly get you shunned. If we really want biking to spread we need to end that sort of BS... sigh... just my 2c.
Old 03-26-10, 04:14 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no_xqcs
I counted 48 WOW
I was thinking I just paid $120 for some kilo wheels,
so why not pay $30 more and get an entire bike, except it is almost 40lbs and probably the ****tyest thing ever built
Hmm, although thinking about it it must be a computer generated error, cause you cant do 48h radial? right?
Thats very disapointing
Old 03-26-10, 06:29 PM
michalik_piotr

Bikes: Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you and everybody else needs to not give a shi*t about what every one else things about them and their clothes and bike they ride. Be a strong individual and a trend setter not follower and have a f*ck you attitude and take pride in the fact that you ride more miles and up more hills then the people on bikes worth hundreds or thousands more then your walmart bike... "ya, i ride a wallmart bike, wanna race?" then smoke em. Thats the winning attitude. Sure machines just like humans have their limitations but I've seen weak cars and bikes smoke ones that have had waaaay more $ in them...good drivers. Same can be with bicycles

Originally Posted by bleedingapple
Another issue that needs to be adressed is the elitism within many parts of the cycling community. The I am better than you vibe quite a few LBSs have. When I got back in to skate boarding I was lucky to find a super helpful and friendly shop but they are not always like that. Where I live there is around 15-20 bike shops and many have an atitude. Where I am from we only had 3 shops and 2 out of those three had a huge atitude too... So with that in mind and not even taking into account other riders on the street, would you as someone with limited funds and new to biking want to be seen with a walmart bike? Hypothetically it could be a sweet bike on par with say a kilo tt or surly and just having the walmart connections would instantly get you shunned. If we really want biking to spread we need to end that sort of BS... sigh... just my 2c.
Old 03-26-10, 06:39 PM
Haagenize

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpeterson
I bet I can find several thousand products at Walmart that they don't sell replacement parts for. "Oh no, a button on my TV broke, **** that stupid Walmart CEO for not selling replacement parts" "Oh no, I don't like the wheel size on my lawnmower, **** that stupid CEO for not letting Walmart sell different sized wheels for every lawnmower"
you're dumb, you're comparing apples to oranges. Since 99% of the market of TV's don't sell buttons, why would walmart do it? But since most decent bikes have replaceable chainrings, walmart doesn't to save money and for the consumer to just buy another bike.
Old 03-26-10, 06:42 PM
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%

Bikes: Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About that shipping weight,the formula seems to be: real weight x 2 =shipping weight.My last two frames where less than 5 lbs and the shipping weight was 25lbs.That would be one hell of a cardboard box!If that bike ships at 39 it probably weighs in the low to mid 20's.
Old 03-26-10, 06:44 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So, is it actually fixed gear? Or is "fixed speed" a euphemism for "one speed"? Wal-Mart's ad says single speed and fixed speed, but no mention of coasting abilities or lack thereof.
Old 03-26-10, 06:50 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
I'd be astounded if it were actually a fixed gear. Gotta be a single speed freewheel.
Old 03-26-10, 06:51 PM
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haagenize
you're dumb, you're comparing apples to oranges. Since 99
% of the market of TV's don't sell buttons, why would walmart do it? But since most decent bikes have replaceable chainrings, walmart doesn't to save money and for the consumer to just buy another bike.
Decent CRANKS have removable rings,low end cranks don't.That's not a walmart thing.I've bought bikes @Lbs's in the $400-500 range that had shimano cranks with riveted rings.There's no conspiracy there.
Old 03-26-10, 06:52 PM
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the SS
Old 03-26-10, 07:35 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Just came back from both of the walmarts in my area out of curiosity and for cheap prices, everyday; none of them have this (no evidence or rack place&price label for one) or any other decent looking bikes aside from the 1st store having one "higher end" mountain bike with a SRAM group and rock shox (lowest end) that goes for like $400 and doesnt sell....

This bike might be online order only guys...

You guys should check for this too; walmarts are also called sam's clubs....
Old 03-27-10, 02:04 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/1663941962.html
Thought it would take longer for this to happen, guess not
"
MSRP $439"

Yeah... right
Old 03-27-10, 02:57 PM
redfb
Rebel Rouser

Bikes: kilo TT, dawes touring lightning, unknown BCM lugged conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just waiting to see the first reviews on this thing. Geo looks comparable to a motobecane Jury.
Old 03-27-10, 06:38 PM
uez
chillin'

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
39.7lb O_O
Old 03-27-10, 06:52 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Shipping weight is almost always close to double the actual weight of the bike.
Old 03-27-10, 07:00 PM
oldfolksmashers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ordered mine, I'll let you all know how it goes. I figure worst case scenario I give it my POOR AS F*CK neighbor who would love to have a bike, or I'll make an awesome video of the poor Mongoose dying.

And for reference, it's online-only, it's a single speed, and shipping weight doesn't have a thing to do with real weight.

EDIT: Also, shipping and handling only cost me five bucks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.