Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 04:33 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by attylah
I've read so many fantastical statements about the Centurion Ironman on this forum. So much so that I thought there is no way it can live up to the billing. So, curious, I bought this as a frame/fork on Craigslist and built it up with 7700 Dura Ace components. Finally got to take it out on it's first ride, and....... now I get it. I didn't expect this. I have ridden carbon for the past 12 years. My only experience with road steel is a Miyata 1000, which rides soft and smooth and is relatively heavy. But this, this is unbelievable! The Ironman is so quick, acceleration is effortless. Handling is flawless. Something about the geometry just begs you to crank hard and keep it there. It is lighter than some of the carbon rides we were comparing with on the last group ride. And all this in a 30 year old steel frame whose colors turn every head you pass. I don't want to ride anything else now, my poor carbon is gathering dust for now. Here's a pic from our ride in the Oregon hills (forgive the seat angle, was having significant seatpost issues. Have swapped posts):

There's something about the Miami Vice in particular that just makes you smile when riding. I think seypat said it best when he pointed out that there is no other bike like it out on the road. Ride On.
Old 08-07-17, 07:52 AM
texaspandj

No pics yet, but I've changed my Miami Vice to black cables, different black saddle, aero post, and black inner tube wrap. Someone said they used old inner tubes for wrap, I gave it a try and like it a lot. They're spongy, grippy,and different.
I thought about putting the tri color 7 speed group including wheels from my 89 on there, but honestly the original 105 is just so good, I'm leaving it. And will hold on to the complete tri color for my 85 if I ever find one.
This weekend I was finally able to put some real Miles on my new MV. Here's my impressions.
First I absolutely love the bike. Somehow it's a bit quicker handling than my old MV, however I had road bars on my old one and aero bars on the new one so that may contribute to the difference. So I set out on a 25 miler and I was having a blast. I felt so strong and powerful like I could ride any speed and still be comfortable. I told my wife I haven't felt like that since the 80s. So I get home anxious to check my average speed..... 15.9? What I was strong, powerful, in my youthful 20s. WTH? I always ride a out and back course so it was honest. I don't know what happened, but I resigned myself to the fact that I felt good and in total control.
The next day I was scheduled for a 8 mile run but since rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week I opted for a ride on my Miami Vice instead. I ride the same out and back route. I felt good, smooth and lucky to be out on such a lovely day. Hit the turn around and started feeling a little hot, then more hot, then tired, then more tired, it eventually took a lot just to get back home. When I finally got back home it took a while for recovery. Ate watermelon, drank sweet tea, water, orange juice. Big time bonk. What happened?
In conclusion, I have the idea that that Miami Vice Ironman tricked me into thinking I was in good condition. It said you ain't old, you feel good, you're tough, you're fast, come on ride like the wind. So be warned, that Ironman hanging in your garage is in better condition than you and can take more punishment than you, and entices you to go harder than you should. Later Irongents.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-07-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 09:09 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I'm having an IM brake lever/hood problem. On this thread, I see many Ironmans looking sharp with white hoods and white tape. My quite new to me 87 is very low miles ( still sporting Technovas with the center mold line very apparent) and the brake 1051 levers are almost perfect.

However, the hoods are sticky and need replacing. Here is a 6043 hood on a 1051

and while I can deal with the gap in front, there is space under the hood on either side and if I stuff it with something, I might as well go with a pair of Cane Creeks. Has anyone tried the 1055 hoods on their 1051 equipped IM? I know I could get a pair of 400s but I'd rather keep these levers. ( I'd really like to rejuvenate my hoods )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0768.jpg (88.6 KB, 137 views)
IMG_0769.jpg (96.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 08-07-17, 09:33 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I'm having an IM brake lever/hood problem. On this thread, I see many Ironmans looking sharp with white hoods and white tape. My quite new to me 87 is very low miles ( still sporting Technovas with the center mold line very apparent) and the brake 1051 levers are almost perfect.

and while I can deal with the gap in front, there is space under the hood on either side and if I stuff it with something, I might as well go with a pair of Cane Creeks. Has anyone tried the 1055 hoods on their 1051 equipped IM? I know I could get a pair of 400s but I'd rather keep these levers. ( I'd really like to rejuvenate my hoods )
Would these be the correct replacements?

Old 08-07-17, 10:16 AM
texaspandj

Did you try cleaning the white ones with simple green? It worked for me. Or are you just wanting to change to black hoods?
Old 08-07-17, 10:30 AM
zs3889

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Finally

Except tires, I kept everything original including cables and housing. I added aero bars as I'm using this bike for my few triathlons this year. But now I'm thinking black 105 brake levers, black cables, black wrap, and an aero seatpost. Maybe replacing with full 7 speed tri color group and bar end gripshift.
Or after this triathlon season just go back to original with road bars.
Not sure yet, but definitely changing to black cables and original MV black 105 brake levers.

I'm not sure how I was able to post a pic of my latest Ironman, but on my tablet it was so clear and good , however not so much here. I'll keep trying.
Are those the original Wobler wheels?
Old 08-07-17, 10:33 AM
zs3889

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That leaves my most excellent 54cm Smoke on the water frame only with less than 500 miles on it. I'll probably CL , the bay, and possibly upgrade membership and try BF. We'll see.
Then I'll be back to only 4 Ironman and hunting the 85.
I may be interested if you're selling it!
Old 08-07-17, 10:52 AM
texaspandj

Original wheels and original everything sans bars and tires. I've since swapped black hoods from my other Miami Vice and switched to black cables, saddle,and aero seatpost.
Yeah I think I'm interested in selling 54cm 1989 smoke on the water expert frame. PM me.
Old 08-07-17, 11:04 AM
Classtime 

[QUOTE=AustinFitz;19773895]Would these be the correct replacements?

That's them. Very tempting.
Old 08-07-17, 11:07 AM
Classtime 

Did you try cleaning the white ones with simple green? It worked for me. Or are you just wanting to change to black hoods?
I'll try the simple green again and scrub a little more. I might end up with black anyway to match the Black hoods on my wife's Miami Vice.
Old 08-07-17, 11:33 AM
texaspandj

I'll try the simple green again and scrub a little more. I might end up with black anyway to match the Black hoods on my wife's Miami Vice.
I failed to mention that jetboy said the only way he was able to clean his was with paint thinner
Old 08-07-17, 01:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
In conclusion, I have the idea that that Miami Vice Ironman tricked me into thinking I was in good condition. It said you ain't old, you feel good, you're tough, you're fast, come on ride like the wind. So be warned, that Ironman hanging in your garage is in better condition than you and can take more punishment than you, and entices you to go harder than you should.
I can relate. In the two months I've had mine it's tricked me many times.

Some days when I feel really fast, I'm actually only slightly faster. It's surprisingly difficult to beat my best times from my hybrid on chipseal and rough pavement.

My goal of beating my 16 mph average on a difficult hilly rural route took six weeks to accomplish, but then I did it on three consecutive rides.

Other days, like Sunday's recovery ride after some hard intervals, I was planning to average only 12 mph but finished the 26 miles at nearly 15 mph.

It's a very lively ride and the road feedback is tricky compared with my hybrid.
Old 08-07-17, 07:56 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Magic eraser.

Old 08-07-17, 08:05 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Until recently, my fastest tri leg was an Ironman ride, 22.9 on a 20-lb Black Dog w/9sp. It took a 16-lb carbon Cinelli and the right day for me to crack 24 on a 28m leg. I lost all that time on the run, though, legs were shot.

Some days you just feel good.

I've been going longer lately but not pushing it, still, 18.0 on an IM is "steady."

It's not the bike but the bike helps, and what you think of the bike. Getting "up on" an IM won't help much; just focus on being smooth and let the bike carry you. The speed you have will be there.

Originally Posted by canklecat
I can relate. In the two months I've had mine it's tricked me many times.

Some days when I feel really fast, I'm actually only slightly faster. It's surprisingly difficult to beat my best times from my hybrid on chipseal and rough pavement.

My goal of beating my 16 mph average on a difficult hilly rural route took six weeks to accomplish, but then I did it on three consecutive rides.

Other days, like Sunday's recovery ride after some hard intervals, I was planning to average only 12 mph but finished the 26 miles at nearly 15 mph.

It's a very lively ride and the road feedback is tricky compared with my hybrid.
Old 08-08-17, 06:51 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Finished my first triathlon of 2017 yesterday. With very limited training I still managed to average 21.6 on the short 12 mile bike portion. On the positive side it really motivated me to train.
So as my wife and I are leaving the transition area after the race, her pushing her 86 classic, and me pushing my new 87 Miami Vice with disk wheel, a guy shouts cool Ironman. Can I take a picture? I said sure. And he said "those scott aero bars are cool, you don't know what this means to me".
We continue walking and a younger guy fit and fast enough to be rocking only speedos, said cool bike.
For me personally, my Miami Vice did exactly what it was supposed to do:
1. Get the maximum out of my current limited fitness level.
2. Pass so much Carbon or very New bikes.
3. Get admiration or attention from fellow competitors.
Thanks Ironman.
Sorry guys, I've been busy. I need to check back in more often.

A couple of years ago, I was rolling out on the pre race ride of a tri. A pack of about 10 young, hardcore riders come by on their high end machines. They are giving me a sneer until the last rider rolls by. He is about my age.(in his 50's) He appears to be a mentor/coach of sorts. He says something like "Sweet Ironman!" He tells the group to slow down and let me pass. He then starts an oral presentation on the history of Tri, Dave Scott, Scott Tinley, Mark Allen, Scott Molina, Mike Pigg, Ironmans, etc. They slowly roll by taking another gander at the bike and giving me different look than before. I'm sure there was some good conversation in that group that day.
Old 08-08-17, 09:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
A couple of years ago, I was rolling out on the pre race ride of a tri. A pack of about 10 young, hardcore riders come by on their high end machines. They are giving me a sneer until the last rider rolls by. He is about my age.(in his 50's) He appears to be a mentor/coach of sorts. He says something like "Sweet Ironman!" He tells the group to slow down and let me pass. He then starts an oral presentation on the history of Tri, Dave Scott, Scott Tinley, Mark Allen, Scott Molina, Mike Pigg, Ironmans, etc. They slowly roll by taking another gander at the bike and giving me different look than before. I'm sure there was some good conversation in that group that day.
Great story!

I'm not a Luddite by any means. Tech improvements are fine with me. But it's been interesting to see the difference design makes in tri-bikes compared with the traditional drop bar design. Occasionally I pass, or am passed by, folks on tri-bikes on a popular roller coaster circuit training route. They usually pass me pretty easily on the flats and moderate downhills, then I'll catch up on the climbs -- and I'm not a good climber, very middle of the pack.

Makes me wonder whether they'd be better off spending more time off the aero bars for conditioning. Yeah, the body needs a different conditioning to adapt efficiently to aero bars for competition. But it doesn't seem to help in other ways.

I've also noticed some folks on tri-bikes who could easily top 30 mph on some downhills don't do so. They coast and sometimes ride their brakes. I don't get that -- well, okay, I understand the aversion to crashing at speed. But we don't have many opportunities for good downhill runs and I'm usually going flat out trying to top my last personal best, and even that is always much slower than the faster folks.

But I'm guessing that for many folks who participate in triathlons don't consider themselves cyclists primarily. They're mostly runners who add cycling and swimming in order to participate.
Old 08-08-17, 10:13 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What, if anything, distinguishes a triathlon bike from any other road bike?
Old 08-08-17, 11:13 AM
Classtime 

I just got back from a shake down cruise on my 87 MV. It rides very smoothly (as you know), fun to pedal on the flats, climbs just fine, turns well, etc. One thing that I noticed maybe different from my go fast road bikes, is that the IM protested more than I'm accustomed when descending (30mph) and hitting a bump with only one hand on the bars. All I've done is replace the cable housing, swap stems/bars with my wife's Miami Vice, and exchange the Technovas for a these 25mm Schwalbes. Next step is a total rebuild.
Attached Images
IMG_3271.jpg (98.1 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by Classtime; 08-08-17 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 08-08-17, 02:01 PM
texaspandj

I'm not a cyclist or a runner and definitely not a swimmer. But I am a triathlete, master of none. Of the three sports I just happen to enjoy cycling the most. I enjoy the challenge of triathlons but mostly enjoy the balance and the act of balancing three different sports at the same time. Think about it the swim I'm lying down, the bike I'm sitting, and the run I'm standing upright. For me it mimics my other pastimes of lying on the couch, sitting on my lazy boy, and finally walking to the fridge for snacks.
When I first started you had to really be in condition to complete a triathlon,requiring at least two hours of training a day. And lord help you if you were trying to be competitive. Even more training required. However now with sprint triathlons you don't need to make your wife a widow and kids orphans by your absence. And anyone can complete them and you can be in any shape literally.
Back in the 80s before aero bars first came out,most every one had road bikes some manufacturers offered "triathlon" models but were essentially the same as road bikes including our beloved Ironman. Shortly after aero bars came the geometry started to change to what we generally refer to as triathlon bikes. A steeper angle and quicker handling. There are some advantages to steeper angle tri bikes but I can achieve them on my Ironman. But steeper angled bikes Definitely not my cup of tea.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-08-17 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 04:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by johnlink
What, if anything, distinguishes a triathlon bike from any other road bike?
These days, almost everything, because it's not only about aero (there are better aero bikes with TT bikes) but position and being able to conserve parts of your body for the run.

Back in the IM day, not a lot of people had 2 bikes, and the growth of triathlons early on depended on the 5/6 of the field that were "novices," who trained and raced on the same bike. I remember the NC TT champ riding in the road race on the same bike.

Dave Scott was "everyman," training 10 hours a week and using an off-the rack bike initially (besides being a genetic freak). The appeal almost across the spectrum was the idea that "I can do this," including afford it.

Those days are not completely over, but probably 1/8 of the field are on road bikes; everyone else seems to have their bass boat, er, race bike and all the gear. Selling speed has become lucrative, and WC Fields had it right.

The market has changed, and I meet very few triathletes who enjoy riding casually. To them, it's just 1/3 of the game. Sprint tri's attempt to get more novices, but in my experience, the underlying attitude now is no longer, "hey, let's go have some fun." Seypat knows of which I speak. There's a triathlon attitude, no doubt, and the Ironman doesn't quite fit in there anymore, except for people like TP&J who like to pass those guys on his steel legend with wheels.

It's all good, but a lot of it's different.
Old 08-08-17, 04:38 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
These days, almost everything, because it's not only about aero (there are better aero bikes with TT bikes) but position and being able to conserve parts of your body for the run.
Can you be more specific about the differences? I'm not interested in a comparison of a Centurion Ironman with today's road bikes made of plastic (i.e., carbon fiber), but with a classic steel frame road bike.
Old 08-08-17, 09:29 PM
texaspandj

Time trial and road bikes are used in triathlons. However a triathlon specific bike has a steeper angle in order to mimic running somewhat and thereby allow the transition from running to cycling be less traumatic.
A time trial bike is more about aerodynamics.
However the two sometimes meet and create a aerodynamic steep angled triathlon bike.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-17, 09:47 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Time trial and road bikes are used in triathlons. However a triathlon specific bike has a steeper angle in order to mimic running somewhat and thereby allow the transition from running to cycling be less traumatic.
To what angle do you refer?
Old 08-08-17, 10:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
He's talking about the head angle of the frame which makes steering quicker and more sensitive but tends to add fatigue to the rider. He may also be talking about the seat angle of the frame which puts the rider farther forward, which also makes sense for this kind of riding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-08-17, 10:01 PM
texaspandj

Head tube and seat tube. My tablet is charging or I'd post some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.