Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 09:58 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by diomekes
You can post pics as a new member. You have to be looking at the full site (not mobile), and underneath where you type your reply, there's a "Manage Attachments" section where you can upload a pic.
Thanks! I usually use mobile. Didon't know. Pic coming soon then!
Old 09-30-17, 10:05 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
BTW, the LBS mechanics thought my bike's derailleur tension was typical for a road bike of that era. They showed me a few newer bikes that have almost zero drivetrain resistance because the derailleurs have few or no springs.

A few folks I see at local cycling group events ride classic bikes. So I'll have an opportunity to compare chaindrive feel and tension. Maybe I just need to get accustomed to it.

If this is typical of older road bikes I now have even more respect for folks my age who raced when they were younger. They were burning watts just to overcome drivetrain resistance that, nowadays, is next to nil. And mashing up hills in ridiculously tall gears. And here I've been complaining about a 42/24 combo not being good enough.
First, Wow! Your tenacity is admirable. But I get it, when your bikes not 100% you'll go to the ends to get it right. I think we've all been there.

**Have you tried moving your rear wheel forward?**

As to your dilemma, seems the derailleur spring slipped or slipped and was replaced incorrectly, or slipped and replaced with a different spring. I have disassembled and reassembled a campagnolo rear derailleur but that's the extent of my experience with that . Admittedly I am not familiar with Suntour components at all. Which brings me to the point of: Try a different derailleur and see if that fixes it.
All my Ironman came with or built with Shimano components. They're all vintage stuff and I can flick my crankarms back no problem. So I take issue with "derailleur tension was typical for a road bike of that era ". However since my newest drivetrain is 9 speed ultegra I could be wrong.........again.

BTW, if your interested in a 1st generation 105 group, PM me for a better price before I list it in vintage sales.

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-01-17 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-30-17, 11:12 AM
norcalmike

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I think I've aquired three bikes thru ebay, I could barely stand the wait.
I checked my stash it turns out I have a pair of wolber GTX hoops, wolber super alpine with 600 hubs from a master Ironman and wolber super alpine with 105 hubs from a Miami Vice.
Great! Tried to PM you, but again, less than 10 post stops me. I think I'm half way there now

Last edited by norcalmike; 09-30-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 08:20 AM
texaspandj

My 86 classic is running smooth, and other than the new chain I've installed I don't plan on making any changes to it.

My 87 Miami Vice is really nice. It has an aero seatpost, tri specific saddle, and the first and original aero bars, but other than that it's completely stock. Now that my season is over, I intended on returning it to original condition. However I really like the current set up. So on the fence.

My 88 yellow fade master is setup as a road bike and is in Excellent condition with 9 speed ultegra. It's really in almost show room condition and coincidentally the least ridden.

My 89 summertime blues is hanging in the house waiting for completion. It came with original tri color 7 speed group. I rebuilt it with 8 speed tri color group with STI's setup as a road bike. But I've decided to turn into a tri bike. I had ordered some 8 speed gripshift to go on the aero bars but after two months I never received it, so I got a refund. I will be sourcing some more. I may end up using bar end shifters but I'd rather have the gripshift.
Speaking of the summertime blues, I've noticed that the color scheme is not exactly like the prestige. The STB is a more richer blue rather than a lighter almost aqua blue on the prestige.

I only own Ironman bikes. So naturally I love this thread. I love seeing everyone's interpretation. My interpretation is mostly limited by my "bike money" or sourcing of obsolete components. Possibly I'll get an 85 and a carbon fiber Ironman, but I'm not in a hurry. It would seem I have a lot invested or only interested in Centurion Ironman but that's not so. I'm a fan of Italian geometry and vintage (80s) road bikes.
I know that it may possibly tick some people off when they see my bike collection and think he's a centurion "fanboy". And admittedly I do love me some Ironman bike. But think about it, other than the Ironman name it's just a road bike with Italian geometry, designed in the U.S. and built in Japan. So there's something for everyone. It is not a triathlon specific bike, but due to its intention of being used for one it tracks extremely well. And if you want quicker handling get a later year model.
One thing I get is why people like scooper is all about those Schwinn or mullet all about those huffy. They see the good and the potential.
I think I won't rest til I get an 85 with sram wireless.
My medicated induced posting is over.....maybe.
My back is out again.

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-02-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 09:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Have you tried moving your rear wheel forward?
I'll try that next. The rear wheel was fairly far forward when I bought it. After a couple of weeks I scooted it as far back as it would go, which amounted to less than 1/4" -- there isn't much play in the adjustable stop screws. Even with the screws retracted as far as they'll go before meeting resistance the wheel still sets almost 1/4" from the rear of the dropouts.

As to your dilemma, seems the derailleur spring slipped or slipped and was replaced incorrectly, or slipped and replaced with a different spring.
Hard to tell. I'd try another spring if I could find one available but I doubt there's a ready supply of parts to experiment with, even using springs from other derailleurs.

Try a different derailleur and see if that fixes it.
I might do that. I'm assuming there are several derailleurs that would be compatible if I used the shifter in friction rather than indexed mode.
Old 10-06-17, 08:04 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,999 Times in 1,781 Posts
Well, I finally entered the "Ironman" family courtesy of a gorgeous 89 master frame from @texaspandj.

I really didn't expect it to be so sweet looking and now feel the pressure to do it justice. I have a nice looking Shimano 600 "tricolor" groupset on hand but am reconsidering. I'll probably change my mind a dozen times before I decide.

Today I shot all the graphics on the frame just for a record. Plus I just wanted an excuse to fondle it more....

I'm totally loving the blue smoke look!

Today I took out another Japanese triathlon bike I recently got. A 1987 Bridgestone Mile 112. The Bridgestone is nice looking and in good shape but this Ironman is a whole other class for sure!
Old 10-06-17, 08:08 PM
norcalmike

Well now I have my photo host all figured out. Here's my new MV on its way. Couldn't wait to show it so here the sale photo.

Old 10-06-17, 11:18 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
That is one gorgeous Centurion @jamesdak.

I'm really contemplating adding one to my stable.
Old 10-07-17, 06:57 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by malcala622
That is one gorgeous Centurion @jamesdak.

I'm really contemplating adding one to my stable.
I'd been considering it for a long time too when this showed up here. I've always loved the smoked look some where doing so jumped on this one. My pictures don't catch the sparkle of the fine metal flake in the paint of the smoke areas.
Old 10-07-17, 01:31 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'd been considering it for a long time too when this showed up here. I've always loved the smoked look some where doing so jumped on this one. My pictures don't catch the sparkle of the fine metal flake in the paint of the smoke areas.
Welcome aboard. You have such nice bikes, this should fit nicely in your stable.
You've discovered the almost iridescent paint that shows even in the white. It's difficult to describe and even tougher to duplicate. The paint itself has proven to be very durable over the last three decades.
BTW don't forget to enter your serial number in T-Mar's centurion serial number thread, and check out the previous pages of this one for inspiration. Enjoy.
Old 10-07-17, 01:46 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by norcalmike
Well now I have my photo host all figured out. Here's my new MV on its way. Couldn1't wait to show it so here the sale photo.

Cool. I'm glad you posted it. So much potential.
I have several ironman. My red and white classic is my favorite, my Summertime Blues is my favorite color and may become my favorite bike. But the Miami Vice makes me smile the most. Just something about it that wasn't there in 80's. I was too conservative or something to appreciate the MV color scheme back then. But now I ride it like I'm the only person on the planet who has one. Possibly how someone who has a custom built bike feels. Everyone has their favorite color but the Miami Vice is still the king even if it's not your favorite color scheme. I think seypat said it best after someone said "I just don't get the purple/yellow combo..."

"Here's the thing with that color combo. I don't think it is the prettiest or sharpest either. But...........it is "THE COLOR" for an Ironman PERIOD. The rest of the colors could be other brands of bikes from a distance, but that color is recognized as an Ironman. In fact, you could take 5 or 6 color combos on a Fondo type ride including 1 of the purple/yellow combos and lean them up next to each other at one of the rest stops. Sit back and watch the riders coming in behind. Here is what you will hear. "Look at those cool old steel bikes over there! There's one of those pink and yellow Ironmans! Let's go look and see what the rest of them are." - Seypat

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-13-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-08-17, 04:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Not everyone "gets" the Miami Vice colors.

OK.

More for us.
Old 10-08-17, 06:08 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
This may irritate some, drop some pics off of older posts, but sometimes, ya gotta do....

Finally, I've been going through this thread all day trying to find a modern groupset on one of these. I'm sure I missed others though. Today I mocked up the 89 just trying to see how it would look. Tried out both the Shimano 600 tricolor and the Chorus 9 speed groups I have. As well as a partial Ultegra 6600 set I've got. Then I went into the bike cave and considered all the bikes I have and what they are running. I need a modern Shimano 11 speed setup, that's what I'm missing. So today I'm thinking modern Ultegra or even Dura Ace, I also tried to visualize how another black Campy Chorus set would look like on it. Those are relatively cheap, light, and work sooooo well. I want this beautiful beast to fly just as fast as I can get it going.

Now back to digging through these pages to see what else I can find. I know I missed plenty.

Oh and I love how your's looks Robbie!!
Old 10-09-17, 07:41 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Having second thoughts about silver frame

I just bought a silver Centurion Ironman frameset and am having second thoughts. I think black would be the best color for tape, cables, and saddle, but I wonder whether I would like that combination as well as the colors I have on my current Ironman. My intention is to move all the components of my current bike onto the silver frame.

Might white tape, cables, and saddle look good with silver?

Here's a video showing my current bike:

Last edited by johnlink; 10-09-17 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 08:09 AM
texaspandj

What year is the silver Ironman, 85 or 86?
Old 10-09-17, 09:07 AM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What year is the silver Ironman, 85 or 86?
I don't know.
Old 10-09-17, 09:22 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by johnlink
I don't know.
Have a pic? If it's the frame that was on ebay then it's a 85 and I'm envious.
Old 10-09-17, 09:29 AM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I bought it on eBay yesterday afternoon.

Old 10-09-17, 09:34 AM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What makes this '85 so special?

If I accept delivery and decide I don't like the color, I could install on the silver frame all the GPX components I've removed from the Ironman I've been riding since 2009 and then sell the silver Ironman.
Old 10-09-17, 10:03 AM
texaspandj

Well the silver frame is a 56cm, too big for me and smaller than your 89.
I don't have the 85 (first year Ironman) yet, so that's where the envy comes from. But also that sliver and blue is so cool looking. A and yours seems to be in pretty good condition.
Old 10-09-17, 10:06 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by johnlink
What makes this '85 so special?

If I accept delivery and decide I don't like the color, I could install on the silver frame all the GPX components I've removed from the Ironman I've been riding since 2009 and then sell the silver Ironman.
I noticed that 85 on eBay too, because I got the same frame (a bit larger at 58cm) from the same seller a few years back.

One thing you should be aware of (I wasn't at the time) is that the braze-on mounts for the downtube shifters are an odd, proprietary Shimano mount, since discontinued in use. This will present problems with attaching regular downtube shifters or even cable stops, to use with a brifter or bar-end shifter set-up.

The first problem is the shape of the shifter mount, it's shaped like a key-hole instead of square, so regular shifter hardware won't fit on it. The second problem is the threading on the mount, which is 4.5mm instead of the commonly used 5mm.

This recent thread discusses the issue, and has links to other related threads and info. Shimano A Type boss coversion index shifters - Bike Forums

In my case, I opted to install cable stops for a bar-end shifter set-up, by modifying the cable-stops and sourcing 4.5mm mounting screws, to attach them, from an online vendor called Loose Screws.

My bike was set-up with Shimano 600 Tricolor components and rides, like all Ironman steeds, like a beast.

Note: The ad you bought this frame off incorrectly states it's a 27" wheel frame. This bike was originally equipped with 700c wheels.

Last edited by Vintage_Cyclist; 10-09-17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 10:36 AM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well the silver frame is a 56cm, too big for me and smaller than your 89.
I don't have the 85 (first year Ironman) yet, so that's where the envy comes from. But also that sliver and blue is so cool looking. A and yours seems to be in pretty good condition.
Where is the blue?
Old 10-09-17, 10:39 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
The headtube
Old 10-09-17, 10:40 AM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I noticed that 85 on eBay too, because I got the same frame (a bit larger at 58cm) from the same seller a few years back.

One thing you should be aware of (I wasn't at the time) is that the braze-on mounts for the downtube shifters are an odd, proprietary Shimano mount, since discontinued in use. This will present problems with attaching regular downtube shifters or even cable stops, to use with a brifter or bar-end shifter set-up.

The first problem is the shape of the shifter mount, it's shaped like a key-hole instead of square, so regular shifter hardware won't fit on it. The second problem is the threading on the mount, which is 4.5mm instead of the commonly used 5mm.
Does that mean I won't be able to install either my Dura Ace 7400 shifters or the GPX shifters that came with my '89 Ironman?
Old 10-09-17, 10:45 AM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
The headtube
So blue tape and cable housing might be a nice highlight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.