Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you feel offended..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Would you feel offended..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 06:25 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
uh no. people should strive to be offended less
Old 10-09-18, 06:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
so long as they don't insult your shoes
Old 10-09-18, 06:55 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Nope, has never happened. But then again, I couldn’t care less what people think about my bikes.
Old 10-09-18, 06:55 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
uh no. people should strive to be offended less

This!!!
Old 10-09-18, 06:58 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Being offended by someone else’s bad taste is just stupid...
Old 10-09-18, 07:08 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
No, because most of the time it would be someone on some cheap plastic they paid several 1000 francs for while i got my hand brazed ones for 50 something. So i win anyway .
Old 10-09-18, 07:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Ha!
Originally Posted by Cl904
Being offended by someone else’s bad taste is just stupid...
+1

What kind of person needs to insult others to gain confidence in themselves? Perhaps a
Person Of Thin Underlying Self-confidence.

Old 10-09-18, 09:06 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I owned a bright pink bike that drew a lot of unfavorable comments. Aside from the color, it pretty much was a POS and at least one size too small for me. I had fun with it for a while before giving it to a young waitress at a breakfast joint I frequent.

I’ve never taken myself so seriously as to be insulted by any random opinions.

-Kedosto
Old 10-09-18, 09:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I've had a couple of times when somebody has told me, in essence, they're surprised that I could ride such a crappy bike so fast. I definitely took it as a compliment both times, because the bikes really were crappy.

I've never had anyone out and out say it in an insulting way.
Old 10-09-18, 09:35 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I owned a bright pink bike that drew a lot of unfavorable comments. Aside from the color, it pretty much was a POS and at least one size too small for me. I had fun with it for a while before giving it to a young waitress at a breakfast joint I frequent.

I’ve never taken myself so seriously as to be insulted by any random opinions.

-Kedosto
Funny you should mention that. I saw a mature gentlemen riding a pink girl's bike at the supermarket and try as I might to ignore it I was compelled to comment on it. Now that I think about it, he probably just saw his daughter's bike sitting on the porch on the way to the market and figured, "what the heck?"
Old 10-09-18, 01:15 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Out in the real world, I've never had a single person make a disparaging remark about any bike I've ever owned,.
Same with me. I get a lot of complements on most of my bikes. My all weather commuting bike that looks it's wel-ridden age (46 years old) doesn't get as many though. Worst thing ever said to me was really a jest. I was on my recumbent trike and a gentleman many years older than me said, "Nice, but I'm not old enough for a trike"
Old 10-09-18, 01:19 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Heh he....back when we were kids into BMX and jumping bikes, etc. we were breaking parts all the time. We ended up having a collection of what was several buildable bikes out of the parts we had retired, swapped, purchased whole without intent to use all of, etc. We got the idea to build the absolute ugliest bike we could. It had all mismatched parts, ape hanger bars off something we came across, HUGE front sprocket with mismatched home painted crank arms....it was perfectly mechanically sound but as aesthetically unpleasing as we could make it.

We rode it around all over the county one summer just trying to get people to comment, and no one would ever come out and be rude. We got comments, of course, but mostly surprise and wonder at how we came across 'such a thing'. Lol
Old 10-09-18, 01:44 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've had a couple of times when somebody has told me, in essence, they're surprised that I could ride such a crappy bike so fast. I definitely took it as a compliment both times, because the bikes really were crappy.

I've never had anyone out and out say it in an insulting way.
Same here. I got into road cycling on bikes that were probably nice several decades ago, but became crappy due to a combination of use, abuse, and my motivation to learn how to wrench. It's fun when you show up to a reasonably fast group with that.

What's more common out in the wild is someone complimenting one of my somewhat crappy bikes.
Old 10-09-18, 01:50 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I would simply say... No. It isn't. And ride away into the sunset....
Old 10-09-18, 03:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My bikes are full of scratches, dings, missing decals, road grime which hasn't been cleaned for years. They look well used,, I really don't care is somebody thinks my bikes look like crap.
Old 10-09-18, 04:14 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
This summer I caught a small group at the stoplight before squaw pass starts going up (and up and up). One looks over to me, on my cherry red Tallerico, and says "that is a beautiful frame". At that moment he hits the wheel in front of him and wrecks. This is at about 8 mph, so no damages or injuries. Just embarrassment.

They were faster than me. I didn't last long after that. I'll be prppr of that for a long time.
Old 10-09-18, 04:17 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to say my bike looks nice, but I look awful ...
Old 10-09-18, 04:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If my bike is a piece of crap, it would less likely to be stolen.
Old 10-09-18, 08:57 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
If my bike is a piece of crap, it would less likely to be stolen.
Not sure if that's true, my Schwinn Continental was stolen three times (recovered two times). I used it in San Francisco in 1987 to commute to work and to do longer rides over the Golden Gate bridge into Marin County on the weekends. I heard from a friend that one of our mutual friends told her that my bike was "a piece of crap". I wasn't offended, but I was puzzled. I didn't know anything about bike technology or biking culture, and the Continental was fine for my purposes - commuting and solo rides. It was built like a tank - when I got doored and crashed going down the Hayes St hill, I was able to pick up the bike and ride it the rest of the way to work. It was heavy, but I didn't know that, and I was strong enough to ride it fast, and it gave me a good work out. But the "crap" comment might have planted the seed that led me to upgrade to a Cannondale ST600 five years later.
Old 10-09-18, 09:46 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Does that mean you don't know?
Correct. Getting offended is an emotional response, and it's impossible to accurately predict an emotional response to something that hasn't happened before. That's why it's emotional and not logical.

It also makes me laugh whenever someone promises they won't be offended, in order to coax someone else to say something. That's a promise nobody can keep, because their natural response might be feeling offended. They might hide it well but being offended and appearing offended are two different things.

Last edited by General Geoff; 10-09-18 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 11:19 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I sometimes feel people who say others should not get offended so easily are trying to avoid the consequences of being offensive.

Why would one stranger tell another their bike (or anything else) is crap and not expect a negative reaction? To me that is living in a fairy tale world.
Old 10-10-18, 01:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Correct. Getting offended is an emotional response, and it's impossible to accurately predict an emotional response to something that hasn't happened before. That's why it's emotional and not logical.
Not entirely impossible. You can predict pretty close if you extrapolate from past experiences.

It also makes me laugh whenever someone promises they won't be offended, in order to coax someone else to say something. That's a promise nobody can keep, because their natural response might be feeling offended. They might hide it well but being offended and appearing offended are two different things.
Your post alone paints a picture of a logical thinker. Nevertheless, this is where you get to narrow the likelihood of a correct prediction if you ask yourself, "am I more likely to response emotionally or logically?"
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I sometimes feel people who say others should not get offended so easily are trying to avoid the consequences of being offensive.

Why would one stranger tell another their bike (or anything else) is crap and not expect a negative reaction? To me that is living in a fairy tale world.
Well if they word it like that the intent to offend is pretty much obvious. On the other hand, there is something to be said for constructive criticism. In that case, a negative comment could be intended to improve the condition or circumstance.
Old 10-10-18, 03:07 AM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
If I saw someone riding one of these I would happily call it a piece of fugly crap.

Old 10-10-18, 03:53 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not entirely impossible. You can predict pretty close if you extrapolate from past experiences.Your post alone paints a picture of a logical thinker. Nevertheless, this is where you get to narrow the likelihood of a correct prediction if you ask yourself, "am I more likely to response emotionally or logically?"
I'm far more likely to respond logically or not at all, than respond emotionally. That's why I said I'd like to think that it would not bother me.

At the end of the day, is anyone ever truly sure of anything?
Old 10-10-18, 04:25 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Nope, and would not care if someone did.

They are my bikes, and I love them. It is what I can afford. Suits me. Perfect.Didnt buy them for other people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.