Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Water Bottle Technology

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Water Bottle Technology

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 05:36 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28629 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Pre-hydrate. Problem solved.
Old 06-20-23, 06:37 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Pre-hydrate. Problem solved.
This is important regardless of the ambient temp or humidity level. Doesn't / won't change the fact that the water in your second bottle after an hour or two may turn into a tea.

We are lucky enough here to have a few spots where tap water is available so I'm usually able to do a century with only 1 bottle (plus side #1 = water always cool/cold, plus side #2 = 1lbs lighter if you only carry 1 bottle )
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-20-23, 07:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Elite make the double-wall, vacuum insulated, stainless steel Deboyo Race bottle. I’ve never tested it’s capability to keep cold, but it keeps tea hot for a couple of hours on my winter rides.
Funny name. No one is going to race with a bottle that weighs 300 grams and only holds 550ml of fluid.
Old 06-20-23, 07:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
We have a substantial Hmong (Viet-Nam/Laos) refugee population here. Caring for the Hmong elders in the hospital, we found they have an aversion to ice water, preferring ambient temperature or warmer water. The preference for cold liquids appears to be a cultural, rather than physiological thing.
Huh, yeah the Des Moines metro has a large Hmong population too. Actually, there are historically a few pocket around the state with large communities. The state's governor back in the 70s was one of the few that declared the state wanted to take on Hmong refugees and they were welcome to settle...something like that.
Hadnt heard of the group until moving here and in the 20 years since, its been interesting to see the various communities and find out how many people I know or know of. Their impact on the community and culture is noticeable.
Old 06-20-23, 09:57 PM
roadie276

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
My wife got one of these (could be the wrong size; not positive) and it's been kind of amazing, once I stuck a proper top on it (I switched from another water bottle I had). Water stays cold for hours...once I brought it home and left it out and the NEXT DAY there was still ice in it. I've dropped it on the road at least once and it's still alive and kicking. Not sure how it compares to other options out there, but it's the best one I've seen.
Old 06-20-23, 10:19 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Purist insulated Chromatek water bottle might be an option ?

https://road.cc/content/review/27096...atek-watergate

Old 06-23-23, 05:13 AM
biglmbass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Purist insulated Chromatek water bottle might be an option ?

https://road.cc/content/review/27096...atek-watergate

I use Specialized Purist insulated bottles during warm weather months. I fill 'em 1/2 to 3/4 full & freeze them them overnight. Works very well & the bottles don't sweat.
Likes For biglmbass:
Old 06-23-23, 10:06 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It never occurred to me that closing the valve could make a difference. I'll have to try that.
I have found this to be the case with my SS insulated bottle. On really hot days I add ice cubes and sometimes the water is gone before all the ice. Opening the valve sped the melting process.
Old 06-23-23, 10:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
I live in Florida and I do a couple of things. If I it is just going to be stupid hot, I will grind up my riding mix with ice and it creates a slushy solution that will stay nice and cold for a while, a little over an hour. If it is going to be really stupid hot and humid, I will fill the bottle up a little less than 1/4 full, put in the freezer the night before and then add my water mix in the next day, those will stay cold for up to 90 mins give or take. I typically go through a 24oz/700ml bottle in an hour, and I have not had any issue with it getting warm. I've done this in both Polar and Camelbak bottles for many years, but I feel like the Polar bottles are a little more insulated, but I like the Camelbak lids better. The openings and thread patterns are the same, so I ordered some camelbak lids and put them on my Polar bottles.