Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheels & Rim Brake

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 01:05 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

Hey all. I invite your thoughts on using carbon wheels with rim brakes. I have been on an endeavor to build a new CRIT bike and posted lots of queries here. But alas, I just had a huge financial burden unexpectedly hit me and need to put the project off. BUT, I already have a pretty nice aluminum frame in the form of an older "Motobecane" (Bike Direct) 7005 aluminum frame "Record" model. I took it out this weekend and was really surprised at how stiff it is and how well it accelerates. I have a set of cheap "SuperTeam" carbon wheels on it. Not too light for carbon, but surprisingly stiff. I used the bike to just speed around the neighborhood. But I'm advised that using rim brake on direct carbon wheels is a no-no. The wheels are total carbon, so the brakes apply directly to a carbon surface. I saw a video from a carbon frame expert wherein he opines that the rim brake will wear at the carbon quickly and make it unsafe at some point, maybe when I'm not expecting a failure. The bike breaks just fine for my basic needs, but maybe not for repeated applications when going fast. But what are your thoughts on this topic? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-17-23, 01:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Carbon Fiber rim brakes are an option but they have limitations. Braking is not as good as with aluminum. Braking in the wet is especially bad. Not good for really long descents as they can overheat and pop a tube.

That said, they may likely be lighter and more aero than their aluminum counterparts, so worth considering. Like most things, it depends on your goals, circumstances, and budget.

If you get CF wheels you really MUST use carbon specific pads and not go back/forth with those pads between CF and aluminum braking surfaces. That would wear out the CF brake track super fast.

FWIW I run CF rim brakes May-September and aluminum October-April. Swapping out the pads is a minor annoyance.
Old 07-17-23, 01:34 PM
ArgoMan

Thanks. I thought that there might be pads specific for carbon wheels. Any suggestions are to some good pads?
Old 07-17-23, 01:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Thanks. I thought that there might be pads specific for carbon wheels. Any suggestions are to some good pads?
There are many (just make sure they say they are for carbon rims), but Kool Stop Carbon Red and Swiss Stop Yellow are favorites.
Old 07-17-23, 03:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
But what are your thoughts on this topic?
Almost any brake / wheel combination will work for crits.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-17-23, 03:56 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
There are many (just make sure they say they are for carbon rims), but Kool Stop Carbon Red and Swiss Stop Yellow are favorites.
Black Prince are the go to pads for carbon.
Old 07-17-23, 09:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I was worried about this too, but my carbon fiber Lun Hyper wheels brake just fine with ths supplied pads, and they suggested Swiss Stop Black Prince when the time comes for replacements.

For reference, I’m 240lbs using Campagnolo Chorus sidepulls, and the braking power has been impressive, down hills and through rain. Honestly, I don’t notice a tremendous difference compared to aluminum rims, except for a little less aggressive initial bite.

I haven’t crit raced these, but I did alu rims and cannot think of any time during my two year crit racing “career” that I thought about my brake performance, so I think the CF rims will do just fine, too.

I’m not saying I’d drop down a moutainside on my CF wheels, but heading down a .5mi 6% decline in the rain is something I’ve done without issue and will do again, so it depends on how you ride. One can heat heat up the resin to its glass transition point, and that’s not good, but up until that point, they will work fine. I cannot say when you’ll hit that point, but for me as a heavy rider in rolling and moderately hilly terrain, it seems not to be an issue.
Old 07-18-23, 01:46 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Just use the right pads, it seems like it shouldn't work but it works fine. Not the best design given the materials but carbon rim brake surfaces have come a long way over the past decade. I admit I do compensate my braking behavior riding down steep, prolonged descents, but I don't ride in wet conditions and so far have not had any issues with carbon rim brakes. Some pads work better than others. I've not tried them all but I like Reynolds Blue pads over the cheap cork ones.
Old 07-18-23, 02:17 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I used a couple different types before I tried Bontrager branded cork pads on my HED wheels. By far these were the best in dry but never tested in wet conditions. I used them as well on my Bora wheels and they don't seem to be as good for some reason. Both are full carbon wheels and both dual pivot campy calipers.
Old 07-20-23, 09:42 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Hey all. I invite your thoughts on using carbon wheels with rim brakes. I have been on an endeavor to build a new CRIT bike and posted lots of queries here. But alas, I just had a huge financial burden unexpectedly hit me and need to put the project off. BUT, I already have a pretty nice aluminum frame in the form of an older "Motobecane" (Bike Direct) 7005 aluminum frame "Record" model. I took it out this weekend and was really surprised at how stiff it is and how well it accelerates. I have a set of cheap "SuperTeam" carbon wheels on it. Not too light for carbon, but surprisingly stiff. I used the bike to just speed around the neighborhood. But I'm advised that using rim brake on direct carbon wheels is a no-no. The wheels are total carbon, so the brakes apply directly to a carbon surface. I saw a video from a carbon frame expert wherein he opines that the rim brake will wear at the carbon quickly and make it unsafe at some point, maybe when I'm not expecting a failure. The bike breaks just fine for my basic needs, but maybe not for repeated applications when going fast. But what are your thoughts on this topic? Any suggestions? Thanks!
I think if you are building a crit bike especially with parts you already have using carbon rim wheels is fine. Ideally a carbon rim wheel make zero sense IMO since literally you are degrading the carbon tracks and run the chance of delamination, thus wheels becomes disposables like chains or cassettes. For crits, rim brakes matter but not as much as descending, so yeah I think you are fine
Old 07-20-23, 11:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Jrasero
I think if you are building a crit bike especially with parts you already have using carbon rim wheels is fine. Ideally a carbon rim wheel make zero sense IMO since literally you are degrading the carbon tracks and run the chance of delamination, thus wheels becomes disposables like chains or cassettes. For crits, rim brakes matter but not as much as descending, so yeah I think you are fine
aluminum wheels wear out the brake track, too, so that carbon does is not a decisive factor.
Old 07-20-23, 11:12 AM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by chaadster
aluminum wheels wear out the brake track, too, so that carbon does is not a decisive factor.
they do but at much slower rates and also without catastrophic failure. IMO more of reason not to go rim period, but not to make this a rim vs disc debate
Old 07-20-23, 12:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
In my experience with (Shimano 105 BR-5800) rim brakes in the dry, SwissStop Black Prince on (high TG) CF wheels stop about just as well as Shimano R55C4 on aluminum wheels, but the former squeals much more loudly.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-20-23, 12:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

they do but at much slower rates and also without catastrophic failure. IMO more of reason not to go rim period, but not to make this a rim vs disc debate
What are the comparative wear rates? I cannot recall of hearing of a carbon rim failing from wearing away of sidewall material, but it's certain that if an aluminum sidewall fails, particularly on the front wheel, it could definitely be catastrophic:

worn aluminum brake track blowout

I have aluminum rims with brake track wear indicators, and I take them seriously.
Old 07-20-23, 01:51 PM
Jrasero

What are the comparative wear rates? I cannot recall of hearing of a carbon rim failing from wearing away of sidewall material, but it's certain that if an aluminum sidewall fails, particularly on the front wheel, it could definitely be catastrophic:

worn aluminum brake track blowout

I have aluminum rims with brake track wear indicators, and I take them seriously.
I have heard and seen plenty of carbon rim wheel delaminating, no they didn't catastrophically implode but at that point they needed to be repaired or binned. I also see a huge amount of carbon rim wheels where the brake track material wear down to the point where it come smooth, thus brake efficiency was crap and in wet conditions it simply was to dangerous to ride
Old 07-20-23, 01:59 PM
Jrasero

I have heard and seen plenty of carbon rim wheel delaminating, no they didn't catastrophically implode but at that point they needed to be repaired or binned. I also see a huge amount of carbon rim wheels where the brake track material wear down to the point where it come smooth, thus brake efficiency was crap and in wet conditions it simply was to dangerous to ride

btw this photo is of a tube exploding on a rim brake wheel. The big difference is that even with overuse the rim stayed in tact even though there was a blowout, but with a carbon rim that's overused and starts to delaminate the whole wheel would come apart in an even more catastrophic way. Secondly while that wheel was badly worn it still probably and more stopping power than a carbon rim wheel with worn brake tracks, since carbon wheel with no brake tracks is like trying to stop on ice

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...e-blew-the-rim
Old 07-20-23, 02:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
I suspect that CF brake track wear and/or failure is related to user error (using brake pads that have been on aluminum surfaces) rather than an inherent defect in CF.

I have zero evidence, however. But hey, this is BF so we can say what we think. Right?
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-20-23, 02:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Carbon fiber delamination is probably caused by overheating, and is not necessarily or exclusively a characteristic of wear.

I also don't understand how CF brake track wear would become smooth; I'd expect that as the resin wears through, the fibers become exposed and the surface rougher. The fiber matrix is simply more coarse by its very nature than the uniformly textured (i.e. smooth) resin which is injected to keep it all together and rigid.
Old 07-20-23, 02:25 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

btw this photo is of a tube exploding on a rim brake wheel. The big difference is that even with overuse the rim stayed in tact even though there was a blowout, but with a carbon rim that's overused and starts to delaminate the whole wheel would come apart in an even more catastrophic way. Secondly while that wheel was badly worn it still probably and more stopping power than a carbon rim wheel with worn brake tracks, since carbon wheel with no brake tracks is like trying to stop on ice

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...e-blew-the-rim
No, what you are looking at in that picture is the aluminum brake track split away from the rim. I mean, of course the tube would burst when the sidewall lets go, but the brake track broke because it was worn thin and unable to retain its shape and integrity.
Old 07-20-23, 03:16 PM
ArgoMan

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to keep the carbon wheels with rim brakes and just get some Kool Stop pads that are geared toward carbon.
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 07-20-23, 03:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I also don't understand how CF brake track wear would become smooth; I'd expect that as the resin wears through, the fibers become exposed and the surface rougher. The fiber matrix is simply more coarse by its very nature than the uniformly textured (i.e. smooth) resin which is injected to keep it all together and rigid.
I am a late adopter to rim brake CF wheels, having bought my first CF wheelset only 15 months ago. From what I have read, brake track delamination is much less of an issue nowadays with the advent of high glass transition temperature (Tg) resin and brake shoe materials developed specifically for CF wheels. On some CF wheels, the brake track is also textured by either (1) laser etching the resin off to expose the underlying carbon fibers (Mavic) or (2) adding particles, e.g., basalt, graphene, etc. In the former, one might expect the brake track to remain coarse with wear, but not in the latter.
Old 07-20-23, 03:46 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to keep the carbon wheels with rim brakes and just get some Kool Stop pads that are geared toward carbon.
I have no problem with my carbon wheels and Koolstop pads.
Old 07-20-23, 05:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I'd go Swisstop, I can't state this with certainty, but as an OEM maker, I think this page means that a lot of wheel makers use their product:
https://www.swissstop.com/about-swis...carbon-wheels/
Old 07-20-23, 10:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am a late adopter to rim brake CF wheels, having bought my first CF wheelset only 15 months ago. From what I have read, brake track delamination is much less of an issue nowadays with the advent of high glass transition temperature (Tg) resin and brake shoe materials developed specifically for CF wheels. On some CF wheels, the brake track is also textured by either (1) laser etching the resin off to expose the underlying carbon fibers (Mavic) or (2) adding particles, e.g., basalt, graphene, etc. In the former, one might expect the brake track to remain coarse with wear, but not in the latter.
yes, exactly my understanding as well, except that in the case of a brake track textured with particulate— i.e. in the surface layer— by the time the rim integrity is compromised, that would mean wear through the particulate later, through the resin, and down into the fibers, which as we said are coarse (of necessity).
Old 07-21-23, 04:37 AM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I purchased Roval CL50 carbon rim brake wheels almost three years ago. I use the recommended brake pads - Swiss Stop Black Prince - In the three years I have had them I have had zero issues with them, and the brake track still looks as good as new. Now I am very obsessed with also wiping the bike and wheels down after almost every ride to check the rims. These wheels were worth the money and have been awesome with zero issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.