Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 11:12 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Exactly my thoughts. How do I know how accurate my gauge is? Probably close enough.

If I were going for the world hour record on a track I would worry. Riding to the next town with a bunch of 70-year-old for cake and coffee, not so much. As long as I don't get a flat.

That said, I run Conti 5000 tires at about 90psi. Or so my pump says.
What if that first 70-year-old takes the cake & leaves you with burn coffee?
Old 11-28-23, 04:05 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
digital Air Pressure Regulators with a zero-out feature tends to be a less expensive route to test tire inflation tools for accuracy.
Starting at zero, like analog gauges also do, is no guarantee of accuracy. A digital gauge can be just as inaccurate as an analog gauge. I use these for calibration and various irrigation system monitoring. They are accurate enough for me. I have some 160 and some 100 psi models.

https://www.amazon.com/Winters-Stain...69&sr=8-6&th=1

Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-30-23 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-28-23, 08:07 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
I’ve got a cheap Topeak digital gauge that I’ve had for years. I use it to set my car tyre pressures and it always gives the same reading as the TPMS sensors on the wheels. The analogue gauges on my two track pumps also read the same within the 1-2 psi I can read off them. So I don’t worry about it. But I would always check a new gauge against a proven one.
Old 11-28-23, 08:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Starting at zero, like analog gauges also do, is no guarantee of accuracy. A digital gauge can be just at inaccurate as an analog gauge. I use these for calibration and various irrigation system monitoring. They are accurate enough for me. I have some 160 and some 100 psi models.

https://www.amazon.com/Winters-Stain...69&sr=8-6&th=1
bar/atmospheric reset has worked for my use. ymmv.
Old 11-28-23, 09:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Not to interrupt the great gauge accuracy debate, I run my tubeless Conti GP5ks at 70 front 72 rear, and I weight 165. That pressure helps absorb irregularities and provides me with a quick tire. If I am going out for a relaxed Zone1-2, then I will run them 10 lbs less for the pure comfort.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-28-23, 10:25 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
I just recently purchased a JACO "FlowPro™ Digital Tire Inflator" along with their presta chuck. The gauge is certified to be +- 1% with a half PSI increment on the display. The combination was around $70, and so far I am pleased with them. Since I have two different compressors with the appropriate quick coupler on them it is a great way to go.

I do have a Hirame presta chuck and I prefer the JACO chuck. Reality is that both are pretty good.

BTW, it reads a couple of PSI above the TPMS on my car, and I believe the gauge, not the TPMS. But if the TPMS is reading low by 1 PSI and the gauge is reading high by .5 PSI with the .5PSI resolution of both systems they are within a believable range.
Old 11-28-23, 10:48 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Roads here in Idaho are all chipseal. I’ve gone to 32mm tubeless tires, I run 70-72 psi rear and 64-66 front. I weigh about 206#. On my older tubed bike, I have 25mm and run about 100 rear and 90 front. But I don’t ride it as much on chipseal, prefer the smoother ride on the bigger tires. YMMV.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 11-29-23, 03:14 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I just recently purchased a JACO "FlowPro™ Digital Tire Inflator" along with their presta chuck. The gauge is certified to be +- 1% with a half PSI increment on the display. The combination was around $70, and so far I am pleased with them. Since I have two different compressors with the appropriate quick coupler on them it is a great way to go.

I do have a Hirame presta chuck and I prefer the JACO chuck. Reality is that both are pretty good.

BTW, it reads a couple of PSI above the TPMS on my car, and I believe the gauge, not the TPMS. But if the TPMS is reading low by 1 PSI and the gauge is reading high by .5 PSI with the .5PSI resolution of both systems they are within a believable range.
So all 4 TPMS sensors read lower than your gauge?
Old 11-29-23, 05:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by rclouviere
I’m confused about what air pressure to use for the most speed on tubeless tires. I’ve read a lot of info saying you should decrease the pressure a lot. However, the Silca guide says much higher (for me on smooth roads, 96 rear and 93.5 front).

Anyone have testing results/opinions?
Seems high for a tubeless setup, unless you are a heavy rider using narrow TL tires.

At 185lbs total weight on a measured 28mm tubeless tire, I am at 78.5PSI rear and 76.5PSI front with the Silca calculator, which is a little higher than the pressure I like. I tried increasing the total weight to 270lbs and I get 85PSI rear / 83PSI front. Not that much of an increase for an extra 100lbs of mass.

FYI, these have been my preferences through my different setups:

1) Tubed 25mm tire = 100PSI rear / 95PSI front
2) Tubeless 25mm tire = 80PSI rear / 75PSI front
3) Tubeless and hookless 28mm tire = 70PSI rear / 65PSI front
4) Tubeless 28mm tire = 75PSI rear / 70PSI front

Last edited by eduskator; 11-29-23 at 06:02 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-29-23, 06:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Seems high for a tubeless setup, unless you are a very very heavy rider.

At 185lbs total weight on a measured 28mm tubeless tire, I am at 78.5PSI rear and 76.5PSI front with the Silca calculator, which is close to the pressure I like. I tried increasing the total weight to 270lbs and I get 85PSI rear / 83PSI front. Not that much of an increase for an extra 100lbs of mass.

FYI, these have been my preferences through my different setups:

1) Tubed 25mm tire = 100PSI rear / 95PSI front
2) Tubeless 25mm tire = 80PSI rear / 75PSI front
3) Tubeless and hookless 28mm tire = 70PSI rear / 65PSI front
4) Tubeless 28mm tire = 75PSI rear / 70PSI front
Is there any physics that would support why a 25mm tire should be inflated differently based on whether or not you have a tube in it?
Isn't deflection and rolling resistance (and why Silca doesn't differentiate between rim or tire type) effectively based on inflated volume of the tire?

A 205lb system weight on 26mm tires returns 95r/92.5f, so OP could be there. For your 185lb system weight and if tires actually measure 25mm, it returns 94/92 -- which doesn't seem at all close to your #2 setup above.
Old 11-29-23, 06:46 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is there any physics that would support why a 25mm tire should be inflated differently based on whether or not you have a tube in it?
Isn't deflection and rolling resistance (and why Silca doesn't differentiate between rim or tire type) effectively based on inflated volume of the tire?

A 205lb system weight on 26mm tires returns 95r/92.5f, so OP could be there. For your 185lb system weight and if tires actually measure 25mm, it returns 94/92 -- which doesn't seem at all close to your #2 setup above.
Tubeless tires can be run at lower pressures mainly because they have stiffer sidewalls. They are less likely to pinch due to this as they deform less. Not sure about the physics though, but I prefer to run my tires at the ''sweet spot'' between high comfortability and low rolling resistance.

I don't really care about what a calculator says; I rely on how I feel riding the bike at a certain pressure. It can be a good starting point though.
Old 11-29-23, 08:18 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The SRAM pressure calculator adds around 2 psi for 25 mm tubed vs tubeless. I presume it's due to the slightly reduced air volume with a tube. For my 30 mm setup, the difference is only 1 psi for tubes v tubeless.
Old 11-29-23, 11:06 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
What if that first 70-year-old takes the cake & leaves you with burn coffee?
You are obviously not in our demographic.

'Cause then you'd know that the sprint is for the restroom, not the bakery counter.
Likes For bblair:
Old 11-29-23, 02:11 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I ride Gatorskin 700x25 at 100 PSI. I weigh about 160 pounds.
Old 11-29-23, 02:22 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Originally Posted by PeteHski
So all 4 TPMS sensors read lower than your gauge?
Yes. But my car is British... The indicated speed is also 2 MPH slow as well.
Old 11-29-23, 02:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Interesting read. I've always rode close to max tire pressure, around 100 psi.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-29-23, 03:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Tubeless tires can be run at lower pressures mainly because they have stiffer sidewalls.

I kind of doubt that. The GP5000 TR ("tubeless ready") has 3 layers of sidewall casing at 220 threads per inch (versus 3 layers of 330 TPI for normal GP5000), but I don't think that adds much at all to the sidewall stiffness.

They are less likely to pinch due to this as they deform less.
A tubeless tire is very unlikely to pinch flat, but that's because there is no inner tube to puncture.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 11-29-23, 05:05 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/JACO-Bike-Pre.../dp/B07P7ZTZNK

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/1093K4

this would let you check your pump for less than 20 bucks. A less crappy prv would be more accurate and still cheap
Old 11-29-23, 06:58 PM
PeteHski

Yes. But my car is British... The indicated speed is also 2 MPH slow as well.
What has being British got to do with it?
Old 11-29-23, 07:49 PM
DangerousDanR

Originally Posted by PeteHski
What has being British got to do with it?
Do I really have to explain? OK. Let me try...

In the Beatles movie "Help" there is a scene where the "baddie" points a pistol at Mr. Starkey. He in turn sticks his finger in the barrel and says, "It's British you know...won't work." Like the old joke about warm beer and Lucas refrigerators.

I have owned three British motor vehicles: a Norton Commando (with a Boyer-Bransden ignition that would stop working when the temperature was above 90F), a Series II land Rover, and my current Jaguar XE. All three of them have been absolute hoots to drive in their preferred environment. Not a one of them was what you might call reliable. I have also tried to buy two Lotus automobiles, but the deals fell through.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 11-30-23, 04:37 AM
PeteHski

In the Beatles movie "Help" there is a scene where the "baddie" points a pistol at Mr. Starkey. He in turn sticks his finger in the barrel and says, "It's British you know...won't work." Like the old joke about warm beer and Lucas refrigerators.

I have owned three British motor vehicles: a Norton Commando (with a Boyer-Bransden ignition that would stop working when the temperature was above 90F), a Series II land Rover, and my current Jaguar XE. All three of them have been absolute hoots to drive in their preferred environment. Not a one of them was what you might call reliable. I have also tried to buy two Lotus automobiles, but the deals fell through.
Ah I see now! JLR do have a poor reliability record, but AFAIK it doesn’t mean that all their TPMS sensors read low by exactly the same amount.

Lotus = Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-30-23, 08:49 AM
eduskator

I believe LR is the most unreliable car brand on the planet. Great looking cars, but man, you buy new and get rid of this after 3-4 years of ownership. Resale value must be low too.
Old 11-30-23, 09:06 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The Silca calcuator is a good starting point/guide, NOT gospel. Be sure you put in correct weight and actual measured tire width.

You probably can reduce the pressure by a few PSI and see how it feels.
Josh Poertner (owner of Silca) has suggested the same. He suggests that if your are going to err, better to err on the low side than the high side. Their numbers are based on real world testing, but there are still a wide range of variables (specific tire, exact road surface, rider form, etc) that could sway the numbers one way or the other.

Using the Silca number as a starting point, trial and error should help you dial in the sweet spot between hard enough to be efficient and squishy enough to be compliant.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-30-23, 10:32 AM
mxtek5

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For what it’s worth. I weigh 165 pounds , riding a 2022 Scott Addict RC with Princeton Carbonworks wheels wrapped in size 28 tires..I run no more than 65 PSI front/rear. Sometimes a tad lower in the front.

I’d say the tire pressure calculators are fairly good starting points as long as you enter your info on tyre size etc correctly.
Old 11-30-23, 10:33 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

John Lennon … probably unaware of his tire pressure … smh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.