Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hooked wheel question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hooked wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 01:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Aluminum fork. A crack that started in a place that could nor be seen without destructive testing. I've had 2 steel forks fail. One gave me adequate warning (though some luck was also involved) and the other was simply no big deal. I rode the broken fork home.
A cracked aluminum fork---that's highly unusual, especially if the fork was built in Japan or the U.S. in the late 1980s or later. They're usually overbuilt compared to steel forks.

You're lucky that the two (!) of your steel forks that failed did so without hurting you. Not everyone has been as fortunate with failed steel.

Another example of anecdata: one of the people I used to ride with suffered debilitating injuries from a crash caused by the sudden failure of a steel fork that lost a blade, either from insufficient penetration of the brazing material into the crown or overheating of the blade (I've forgotten which in the intervening 55 years).

No one would consider you a coward, etc., for making the decisions you've made concerning your choice of steel forks and tubular tires.

But since the failure rates of steel, titanium, aluminum, and carbon fiber, as used in bike frames and forks, are vanishingly low, the evidence concerning such failures is sparse. Thus, we might as well indulge our superstitions. If I prefer aluminum forks and frames and hooked clincher rims, it's in the belief, superstitious or otherwise, that they're as safe and reliable as any other choices, and maybe more so.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-13-23, 03:06 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
In the case of hooked rims, there is an obvious mechanical advantage with respect to tire retention. It may be possible to "get away with" hookless rims if the rims are made well and the tires have exactly the correct bead diameter, but that isn't a compelling argument for hookless rims being equally safe. Enve has a fairly short list of tires it deems compatible, and most folks would agree that Enve hookless rims are amongst the best.

If hookless rims are equal or better, why don't you see them on aluminum wheels?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-13-23, 03:36 PM
Jon_g2 

Bikes: Cannondale caad10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Here is the response I got from Reserve. I knew they'd answer quickly. I hope this answers or clarifies some questions or concerns you guys may have. Like I said before, I feel like I definitely made the right choice with the 40/44s. I can't wait to test them out.
Likes For Jon_g2:
Old 12-13-23, 03:37 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by jwalther
I have the same wheelset, and run 32 Conti GP5000s tubeless without worry. Enjoy your new bike!

​​​​​​Untitled by Jeff Walther, on Flickr
Awesome looking bike! 👌👌👍👍
Old 12-13-23, 03:55 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon_g2
Yes in theory hookless works, but that isn't the case out on the road. .
Look - if you don't want to run hookless, nobody's going to make you. But quit repeating pure conjecture. Tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of us have been riding hookless for years without incident. we're on the road, racing, commuting, riding in all kinds of weather, and covering the range from fastidious well maintained bikes, to set it and forget it neglected bikes. If you run major brand wheels, use the tires they approve and recommend, and run pressures in the accepted range, you'll be fine. But don't keep repeating internet forum talking points that dramatically overstate the risks, or you'll end up sounding like those folks who insist no carbon fiber frame is tough enough to take ordinary use and abuse without a catastrophic failure

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-13-23, 04:03 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by bbbean
Look - if you don't want to run hookless, nobody's going to make you. But quit repeating pure conjecture. Tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of us have been riding hookless for years without incident. we're on the road, racing, commuting, riding in all kinds of weather, and covering the range from fastidious well maintained bikes, to set it and forget it neglected bikes. If you run major brand wheels, use the tires they approve and recommend, and run pressures in the accepted range, you'll be fine. But don't keep repeating internet forum talking points that dramatically overstate the risks, or you'll end up sounding like those folks who insist no carbon fiber frame is tough enough to take ordinary use and abuse without a catastrophic failure
I was sure to mention that you can ride what you want. And I was sure to mention that there have undoubtedly been a ton it people that have never had issues. And I was sure to mention that there was been enough people that have had issues for me to not trust them. I never said that an accident is bound to happen with people who use hookless or that you guys shouldn't use them.

"major brand wheels". So I guess you didn't read about the guy with 2 or 3 blowouts on zipp wheels. There are a few stories of people with enve wheels with their exact recommendations that have had accidents and injuries. My original post was to ask a question, not to sway anyone from doing whatever the hell they want. You can ride without tires for all I care. So don't tell me what to write. If you don't like it, don't read it and move on.
Old 12-13-23, 04:20 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon_g2
ISo don't tell me what to write. If you don't like it, don't read it and move on.
Says the guy who just took issue with what I wrote.

You are repeating hyperbolic conjecture and drawing conclusions from exceptions to the rule. FWIW, a friend of mine died while wearing his seatbelt, and another rolled his car without injury despite not wearing his seatbelt. That doesn't mean that seatbelts don't save lives.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-13-23, 04:27 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by bbbean
Says the guy who just took issue with what I wrote.

You are repeating hyperbolic conjecture and drawing conclusions from exceptions to the rule. FWIW, a friend of mine died while wearing his seatbelt, and another rolled his car without injury despite not wearing his seatbelt. That doesn't mean that seatbelts don't save lives.
I feel like we're all here to learn and share opinions. If I ever act or talk to someone like a jackass I hope I get called out. Your post didn't sound like an opinion. It sounded like a straight attack. Read the room. everyone was posting great information and a few of us were learning. You're the only one that came on to talk **** putting words in my mouth.