Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-23, 11:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Also, what's up with that seat tube?
Bike from a different angle.
Old 12-20-23, 11:35 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I must admit I am not familiar with the latter, although I see a distinction between frame geometry and fit geometry, by which I assume you refer to the relative positions of the touch points?
A tall head tube doesn't steer any different than a shorter one, so I would call that fit geometry because it dictates the range of bar heights.

Chainstay length, BB height, trail are what I would call ride geometry, because they dictate how the bike steers, climbs and tracks.
Old 12-21-23, 01:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
What's the difference?
The latter is a subset of the former.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-21-23, 08:00 AM
Kontact 

The latter is a subset of the former.
And which bikes labeled "road" rather than "touring", "endurance", "sport touring", "all road" etc aren't also "road racing" bikes? Give us an example of a model that labeled simply "road" where it is not a road racer.
Old 12-21-23, 08:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
They are making vague statements, and they don't get any less vague when I ask them about it.

I have stated and restated all sorts of things that make me think endurance bikes have an illusory nature. And you are being purposely obtuse ignoring all that. If you have a question for me, ask it. You aren't scoring any points with anyone important pretending to 'call me out'.
I’m not sure what statements I have ignored? I’m still struggling to understand your Lamborghini, GT, Sedan argument and you never did answer my question about where the Domane fits into that labelling, given that the Madone was your Lambo. I would have said it was very much the GT road bike you said we were missing.

BTW I don’t care about scoring points. Your thread title asks us what we get out of our endurance bikes, which I answered very clearly about 12 pages ago. But you keep banging on about specific geometry features that you don’t like in endurance bikes ie long wheelbase, suspension “widgets” and high trail. None of which are defining traits of a modern endurance bike and few endurance bikes include all 3 of those traits simultaneously.

We’ve already covered the Canyon Endurace geometry and I don’t think the Roubaix fits your endurance caricature either. So how about you give us a specific example of a current endurance bike that fits the premise in your opening post?
Old 12-21-23, 08:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

And which bikes labeled "road" rather than "touring", "endurance", "sport touring", "all road" etc aren't also "road racing" bikes? Give us an example of a model that labeled simply "road" where it is not a road racer.
category- ROAD BIKE
possible subsets- race, endurance, touring, all road, touring, cx, gravel, audax, commute, and more.

No model needs to be labeled as literally just 'road' for any of the subsets. You are once more creating an argument to prove a point by challenging someone who didnt even take the opposite view of your new argument. There is a term for that, but you got angry when it was mentioned earlier.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-23, 10:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
category- ROAD BIKE
possible subsets- race, endurance, touring, all road, touring, cx, gravel, audax, commute, and more.

No model needs to be labeled as literally just 'road' for any of the subsets. You are once more creating an argument to prove a point by challenging someone who didnt even take the opposite view of your new argument. There is a term for that, but you got angry when it was mentioned earlier.
What he said.

Old 12-21-23, 10:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Here's an example: 2 road bikes. Same manufacturer, same year.

Race bike:

Sport Touring Bike:

Oh, I suppose you COULD race the Classique, but then, you could race a Hybrid if you were so inclined. But that's not what it was built for, whereas the Supreme above it was built to race.

Old 12-21-23, 10:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you look at the lineup from Lotus in 83/84 they had a Legend and a Legend Comp. The Legend was the sport frame with eyelets and wider gearing. The Legend Comp frame had no eyelets and different frame geometry specifically for racing. It was the entry racing frame under the Supreme. I have one of each, but am too lazy to post pics. On the flip side, I also have a 72 Crescent 320 Pepita. It was one of their top models. Eyelets, relaxed geometry, toe overlap, etc. It also wears the World Championship stripes because evidently, a lot of races were won on that frame including some type of world championship. You also have Sean Kelly and all of those races he won with those noodly Vitus frames.
Old 12-21-23, 10:44 AM
seypat

I also have a 72 Condor. The original owner bought it while he was working in London BITD. He did everything on that bike. Race, tour etc. He would just change out components/equipment to suit his needs.The original wheelset was Campy hubs laced to lightweight 27" aluminum rims with Schrader valves. Here's the sweet 57T Campy chainring he would mount for TTs. I'm getting a picture frame for it and will mount it on a office wall.

Last edited by seypat; 12-21-23 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-21-23, 10:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
...endurance bikes don't have a fixed description.
Same with most bike categories. Not all "race" bikes are exactly the same, either. Delineations between bike types can generally be made fairly easily when comparing the range of bikes of one brand (although much of it may be found in the marketing), but when you start comparing bikes of other brands, those lines can get blurry pretty quickly.

IMO, it's not necessary that bikes need to fit into rigid boxes where each type of bike must have the same set of defining features, expressed exactly the same way. We are served better by having more options than fewer.
Old 12-21-23, 11:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Same with most bike categories. Not all "race" bikes are exactly the same, either. Delineations between bike types can generally be made fairly easily when comparing the range of bikes of one brand (although much of it may be found in the marketing), but when you start comparing bikes of other brands, those lines can get blurry pretty quickly.

IMO, it's not necessary that bikes need to fit into rigid boxes where each type of bike must have the same set of defining features, expressed exactly the same way. We are served better by having more options than fewer.
I mean, the big thing about categories is that they make it simpler. They don't have to be rigidly defined with clear delineations and no overlap. They just need to tell you what part of a spectrum you're looking at.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-21-23, 12:39 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I mean, the big thing about categories is that they make it simpler. They don't have to be rigidly defined with clear delineations and no overlap. They just need to tell you what part of a spectrum you're looking at.
Every manufacturer has slightly different ideas about bike categories, but they all seem to recognise that riders want more choice and they need to make it clear what choices they are offering. It's the same with cars. There is far more choice today than there was 40 years ago.

I don't believe the entire bike industry has gone wrong with endurance bikes, otherwise they simply wouldn't sell and in practice they usually outsell their equivalent race bikes. The main demographic for consumers of higher end road bikes is the MAMIL who is likely to be entering Gran Fondos and other endurance rides. This is the market for endurance road bikes. It isn't rocket science
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-21-23, 12:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Every manufacturer has slightly different ideas about bike categories, but they all seem to recognise that riders want more choice and they need to make it clear what choices they are offering. It's the same with cars. There is far more choice today than there was 40 years ago.

I don't believe the entire bike industry has gone wrong with endurance bikes, otherwise they simply wouldn't sell and in practice they usually outsell their equivalent race bikes. The main demographic for consumers of higher end road bikes is the MAMIL who is likely to be entering Gran Fondos and other endurance rides. This is the market for endurance road bikes. It isn't rocket science
I guess at 66, I'm no longer a MAMIL. I'm an OMIL.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-21-23, 01:24 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Totally agree with you! At the end of the day, it's all a matter of what you need or want (both are often different unfortunately!).
Old 12-21-23, 02:31 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
a lot of riders want what is marketed to them that season rather than what would be a better choice.
You are assuming you know better than a lot of riders what the "best choice" would be for them, despite them selecting some other bike?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-21-23, 03:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I deleted a lot of posts. There were some infraction-worthy posts in there, and some of you are close to being banned temporarily or permanently. We can discuss subjects like this without insults.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-21-23, 03:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I deleted a lot of posts. There were some infraction-worthy posts in there, and some of you are close to being banned temporarily or permanently. We can discuss subjects like this without insults.
You know how it works. When the topic runs out, or starts to circle, the thread is kept alive by insulting each other.
Old 12-21-23, 04:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

You know how it works. When the topic runs out, or starts to circle, the thread is kept alive by insulting each other.
Only a moron would think this!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-23, 04:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Only a moron would think this!
Old 12-21-23, 05:45 PM
seypat

Here's an example: 2 road bikes. Same manufacturer, same year.

Race bike:

Sport Touring Bike:

Oh, I suppose you COULD race the Classique, but then, you could race a Hybrid if you were so inclined. But that's not what it was built for, whereas the Supreme above it was built to race.
Is that "the crank" on the red one? It shined up well.
Old 12-21-23, 05:47 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
In an attempt to be helpful ... I put together a geometry comparison of the regular Domane SLR vs the Domane RSL in a size 56cm frame. The Trek Domane is one example of a specific model offered in an endurance geometry and a race geometry. Same name, two very different bikes. The RSL (race shop limited) is the race bike used by Lidl-Trek in some of the UCI cobble races. The SLR is the endurance version, the one that is more familiar to the general public and the one referenced earlier in this thread.

The SLR has a stack height in the realm of a beach cruiser , while the RSL is pretty long and low.

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 12-21-23 at 06:01 PM.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 12-21-23, 07:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-21-23, 07:44 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m not sure what statements I have ignored? I’m still struggling to understand your Lamborghini, GT, Sedan argument and you never did answer my question about where the Domane fits into that labelling, given that the Madone was your Lambo. I would have said it was very much the GT road bike you said we were missing.

BTW I don’t care about scoring points. Your thread title asks us what we get out of our endurance bikes, which I answered very clearly about 12 pages ago. But you keep banging on about specific geometry features that you don’t like in endurance bikes ie long wheelbase, suspension “widgets” and high trail. None of which are defining traits of a modern endurance bike and few endurance bikes include all 3 of those traits simultaneously.

We’ve already covered the Canyon Endurace geometry and I don’t think the Roubaix fits your endurance caricature either. So how about you give us a specific example of a current endurance bike that fits the premise in your opening post?
You seem to be taking this thread way too seriously. I don't have a specific thesis that is going to blow anyone's mind. I'm just airing my belief that many endurance bikes fulfill an unnecessary function because there is nothing wrong with standard road bikes now that they accept such large tires and have recently had high stacks.

And I don't keep "banging on". I reply to the steady stream of questions from you and several other frequent posters. If you don't like the topic, why are you so engaged? Stop complaining.
Old 12-21-23, 07:59 PM
Kontact 

What he said.
Except that's not the reality. Like "alloy" implies aluminum, if you say road bike without any more information you are talking about a race type bike. Otherwise, you use a modifier like "touring" or "flat bar". And you can argue all you want, but you know very well that you can say road bike and people will not be confused what kind of bike that is. Because if you wanted a touring bike, you would have said that.

Like alloy, road bike is both a type and a general heading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.