Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 11:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
People have been making road bikes with endurancy qualities for a very long time without needing to draw a line.
Sport touring. Audax. Club. Randonneuring.
All terms for road bikes with endurance bike features.

Lines were drawn decades ago.
Old 12-21-23, 11:56 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The “line” is from the marketing department. The “line” is also not in a consistent place (based on frame dimensions) from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Marketing is one of the things I've been talking about, and how it influences the product.
Old 12-22-23, 03:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
You seem to be taking this thread way too seriously. I don't have a specific thesis that is going to blow anyone's mind. I'm just airing my belief that many endurance bikes fulfill an unnecessary function because there is nothing wrong with standard road bikes now that they accept such large tires and have recently had high stacks.

And I don't keep "banging on". I reply to the steady stream of questions from you and several other frequent posters. If you don't like the topic, why are
you so engaged? Stop complaining.
I’m not complaining, but you certainly appear to be.

Your replies to most genuine questions raised in this thread are just obvious deflections, leading to more and more confusion about what your point actually was in the first place.

My take is that this thread is nothing more than a thinly disguised, condescending lecture about “big bike” marketing and how so many riders have fallen for it. Imagine if someone started a thread along the lines of “what do road race bikes accomplish for you?” and then proceeded to waffle about how everyone should be riding a “standard” road bike. It would end up just like this train wreck.

Anyway you haven’t convinced me (or anyone else from what I’ve read) that endurance road bikes “fulfill an unnecessary function”. But since you only appear to want everyone to agree with your belief and then get upset whenever anyone questions it, I’ll leave you to it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-22-23, 05:30 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The typical features that are found on an “endurance” road bike lean towards the “gravel” spectrum more than “race” bikes do. This includes rider position, steering dynamics, and tire clearance. Tire clearance being the biggest factor.

Both are slices from the wide spectrum of bicycles, and very often, those slices overlap. How each rider uses their bike(s) may vary significantly from another rider due to preferences and/or skills.
I fully agree with the above statements... there is an increasing amount of overlap between endurance and gravel bikes. I used to think this was a good thing when gravel bikes were (more or less) relaxed road bikes with wider clearances for wider tires, and endurance bikes were just road bikes with relaxed geometry.

Over time it seems that gravel bike design (and function) is borrowing more heavily from mountain bikes, and endurance bike design is moving more into the realm of gravel. As a result, my options in 2023-24 for a "more relaxed, comfortable road bike" mostly live in the "road bike / race bike" category because many race bikes are also being dragged in the same direction as endurance bikes and gravel bikes (i.e. more comfort, bigger tires).

Has my overall selection for a "more comfortable road bike" been diminished? No, not really. In fact, I would argue that the selection of road bikes for the average amateur has improved significantly because one can now find a "comfortable road bike" by looking at "road bikes" .
Old 12-22-23, 06:22 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
I fully agree with the above statements... there is an increasing amount of overlap between endurance and gravel bikes. I used to think this was a good thing when gravel bikes were (more or less) relaxed road bikes with wider clearances for wider tires, and endurance bikes were just road bikes with relaxed geometry.

Over time it seems that gravel bike design (and function) is borrowing more heavily from mountain bikes, and endurance bike design is moving more into the realm of gravel. As a result, my options in 2023-24 for a "more relaxed, comfortable road bike" mostly live in the "road bike / race bike" category because many race bikes are also being dragged in the same direction as endurance bikes and gravel bikes (i.e. more comfort, bigger tires).

Has my overall selection for a "more comfortable road bike" been diminished? No, not really. In fact, I would argue that the selection of road bikes for the average amateur has improved significantly because one can now find a "comfortable road bike" by looking at "road bikes" .
I agree that the whole spectrum from road race through to gravel has shifted toward improved comfort and versatility without compromising on speed. I would probably be happy on most modern road, endurance or light gravel bikes with the appropriate tyre choice and fit. I considered bikes like the Look 765, which really does blur the lines between road and gravel. I also considered road bikes like the Cannondale Super Six Evo and Canyon Ultimate. But in the end I chose the Endurace, which has served me very well on all kinds of mixed terrain. There are certain events I’ve done where a more aero race bike would have been a better choice and climbing events where the Ultimate would have been marginally quicker. But overall my Endurace is the ideal single quiver bike for all my road riding.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-22-23, 06:29 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Marketing is one of the things I've been talking about, and how it influences the product.
Chicken or the egg dilemma. Marketing's job is to adjust to the demand to make sure a company continues to be profitable and to grow, but Marketing can also create demand when a company is big enough and has a lot of influence. Apple is amongst one of them.
Old 12-22-23, 07:14 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
Chicken or the egg dilemma. Marketing's job is to adjust to the demand to make sure a company continues to be profitable and to grow, but Marketing can also create demand when a company is big enough and has a lot of influence. Apple is amongst one of them.
Even then the product has to be reasonably good to succeed. Not that any bike manufacturer has anything like the marketing influence of Apple.
Old 12-22-23, 07:16 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Than get off my thread if you can't politely discuss the topic. Is this just the Road subforum that is so toxic?
Is there a way to "politely" say we disagree with you?
Old 12-22-23, 07:20 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
No. I'm saying that a lot of riders don't actually know why they needed a feature like "stiff bottom bracket", but they get the impression that the engineering that went into them is valuable and that they should value it.

That doesn't mean that endurance bike features are bad. I would happily recommend a good endurance bike for the right cyclist. But I'm not addressing consumers - I'm having a conversation with thoughtful insiders who are aware of more aspects of cycle design than what's featured in an ad.
That's a different point than "a lot of riders want what is marketed to them that season rather than what would be a better choice."

Personally, I'm giving other cyclists the courtesy to assume they picked a bike because it suited their needs and preferences, even when they choose differently from what I would choose. People choose bikes for a lot of different reasons. "What bbbean thinks is best for them" is seldom in their list of top priorities.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-22-23, 07:31 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Is there a way to "politely" say we disagree with you?
No. You can personally disagree, but you don't get to represent a bunch of people.
Old 12-22-23, 07:32 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m not complaining, but you certainly appear to be.

Your replies to most genuine questions raised in this thread are just obvious deflections, leading to more and more confusion about what your point actually was in the first place.

My take is that this thread is nothing more than a thinly disguised, condescending lecture about “big bike” marketing and how so many riders have fallen for it. Imagine if someone started a thread along the lines of “what do road race bikes accomplish for you?” and then proceeded to waffle about how everyone should be riding a “standard” road bike. It would end up just like this train wreck.

Anyway you haven’t convinced me (or anyone else from what I’ve read) that endurance road bikes “fulfill an unnecessary function”. But since you only appear to want everyone to agree with your belief and then get upset whenever anyone questions it, I’ll leave you to it.
You write this like the majority of responses in this thread weren't obtuse, combative and rude.
Old 12-22-23, 07:36 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
A customer walks into a bike shop. You saw him drive into the parking lot. You noticed that he has a hybrid his size on his bike rack. Maybe he's a bit overweight. Says he's looking for a 56-cm road bike, based on fitting algorithms he's used online. Budget around $4,000 to $5,000 or so.

(i) Do you, the bike shop employee, ask for some details on how he plans to use the bike, the better to steer him toward choices that are appropriate for his intended use case(s)?

(ii) Or do you, after a bit of chummy, you're-always-closing conversation, pull out a full-tilt, no-compromise race bike and ask, "Diners Club, BankAmeriCard, or Green Stamps?"

(iii) Or do you, if the customer happens to utter the word "endurance" as a modifier for the word "bike," proceed to lecture him at excruciating length, explaining in a plonking* tone that no such thing exists?

Confession time: at least twice that I can remember, my prejudices led me to enact choice iii.

The first time was when, in the brief period when the shop owner thought that buying a bunch of weightlifting equipment and sticking it into the second-floor showroom would be a surefire way to bank millions, I was told by a customer that he wanted to buy weights so that he could lose weight.

I explained, calmly at first and then heatedly, that anyone who told him lifting weights was a good way to lose weight was scamming him, that aerobic exercise was what he needed, etc. He left the store. Strange.

The second time was when a customer asked why all the road bikes used lugged construction instead of being welded. I patiently explained that lugs were needed because the thin-walled tubing would be damaged by being heated to welding temperatures. (Fillet brazing wasn't mentioned by either of us.)

He smiled and said that he'd been a welder for 20 years and was confident that he could weld thin tubing, no problem, that any bike frame he welded would hold up fine.

I "explained" why he was wrong. He kept smiling. The phone rang. I picked it up immediately and deliberately kept that conversation going while the welder stood there. He finally turned and left.

[Edit: forgot to mention that within two years of that conversation, many if not most of the road bikes on the sales floor were lugless.]

One of the few consolations of growing old is that I know that someday I'll forget that incident. One way or the other.

*Plonking: a term that I borrow from Stephen Potter's books Gamesmanship and Lifemanship, meaning, speaking in a blandly authoritative, mildly condescending tone that has an anesthetizing effect on the brain of the listener, who knows what's being said is crap but is temporarily incapable of reasoning why.

By the way, those Stephen Potter books (Lifemanship incorporates Gamesmanship and two sequels) are must-reads for any fans of Oxbridge humor such as that of Peter Cook, Monty Python's Flying Circus and the solo work of its members, David Mitchell, Richard Ayoade, etc.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-22-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-22-23, 07:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

No. You can personally disagree, but you don't get to represent a bunch of people.
... So what I clearly meant was "we who disagree with you". Why did you assume I meant "every single person"?

And to be crystal clear. what would be a phrasing that you would accept as "polite"?
Old 12-22-23, 07:50 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I just want to ride my bicycle....over good roads, over not so good roads, up hills and down hills...on short rides and on 100+ mile rides....I don't want to ride in the rain tho that is not fun...
Old 12-22-23, 07:51 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
... So what I clearly meant was "we who disagree with you". Why did you assume I meant "every single person"?

And to be crystal clear. what would be a phrasing that you would accept as "polite"?
Statements and questions that are on topic about bikes, aren't personal attacks on my "hidden motivations", aren't clearly sarcastic and don't need to be removed en masse by a moderator.
Old 12-22-23, 07:55 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
A customer walks into a bike shop. You saw him drive into the parking lot. You noticed that he has a hybrid his size on his bike rack. Maybe he's a bit overweight. Says he's looking for a 56-cm road bike, based on fitting algorithms he's used online. Budget around $4,000 to $5,000 or so.

(i) Do you, the bike shop employee, ask for some details on how he plans to use the bike, the better to steer him toward choices that are appropriate for his intended use case(s)?

(ii) Or do you, after a bit of chummy, you're-always-closing conversation, pull out a full-tilt, no-compromise race bike and ask, "Diners Club, BankAmeriCard, or Green Stamps?"

(iii) Or do you, if the customer happens to utter the word "endurance" as a modifier for the word "bike," proceed to lecture him at excruciating length, explaining in a plonking* tone that no such thing exists?

Confession time: at least twice that I can remember, my prejudices led me to enact choice iii.

The first time was when, in the brief period when the shop owner thought that buying a bunch of weightlifting equipment and sticking it into the second-floor showroom would be a surefire way to bank millions, I was told by a customer that he wanted to buy weights so that he could lose weight.

I explained, calmly at first and then heatedly, that anyone who told him lifting weights was a good way to lose weight was scamming him, that aerobic exercise was what he needed, etc. He left the store. Strange.

The second time was when a customer asked why all the road bikes used lugged construction instead of being welded. I patiently explained that lugs were needed because the thin-walled tubing would be damaged by being heated to welding temperatures. (Fillet brazing wasn't mentioned by either of us.)

He smiled and said that he'd been a welder for 20 years and was confident that he could weld thin tubing, no problem, that any bike frame he welded would hold up fine.

I "explained" why he was wrong. He kept smiling. The phone rang. I picked it up immediately and deliberately kept that conversation going while the welder stood there. He finally turned and left.

[Edit: forgot to mention that within two years of that conversation, many if not most of the road bikes on the sales floor were lugless.]

One of the few consolations of growing old is that I know that someday I'll forget that incident. One way or the other.

*Plonking: a term that I borrow from Stephen Potter's books Gamesmanship and Lifemanship, meaning, speaking in a blandly authoritative, mildly condescending tone that has an anesthetizing effect on the brain of the listener, who knows what's being said is crap but is temporarily incapable of reasoning why.

By the way, those Stephen Potter books (Lifemanship incorporates Gamesmanship and two sequels) are must-reads for any fans of Oxbridge humor such as that of Peter Cook, Monty Python's Flying Circus and the solo work of its members, David Mitchell, Richard Ayoade, etc.

The answer is i.
Old 12-22-23, 08:04 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Likes For seypat:
Old 12-22-23, 08:06 AM
Trakhak

The answer is i.
Exactly.
Old 12-22-23, 08:38 AM
PeteHski

You write this like the majority of responses in this thread weren't obtuse, combative and rude.
You set the tone, others bit.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-22-23, 08:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
When responses with actual real examples and numbers that directly address your questions/complaints are ignored, and then ignored again and again, it shouldn't be surprising to see some sarcastic comments. This is especially true when you ignore the polite responses that include specifics, and you either again complain of the very thing you just complained about that was addressed, or you shift the goalposts and argue something related yet new.
Some sarcastic comments are inevitable...patience is not infinite in any of us.

Discuss your point in a manner in which you don't change your point and you do accept information that doesn't support your biases, and you will not see sarcasm.
I do love that you are claiming others to be obtuse. That's just straight unawareness.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-22-23, 09:04 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
This thread has more endurance than I do.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 12-22-23, 09:15 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

you know very well that you can say road bike and people will not be confused what kind of bike that is.
So first of all, is it only me specifically who doesn't get to represent a bunch of people? Because you seem to be speaking for a bunch of people in that first quote, but maybe I'm misinterpreting?

Statements and questions that are on topic about bikes, aren't personal attacks on my "hidden motivations", aren't clearly sarcastic and don't need to be removed en masse by a moderator.
I'd still very much appreciate a sample phrasing that you'd accept rather than a general vagueness. Please and thank you.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-22-23, 10:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
This thread has more endurance than I do.
Yeah, this thread won’t end until the mods shut it down.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-22-23, 10:21 AM
Trakhak

At least we can all now agree that "endurance bike," like "racing bike," is a valid subset of the category "road bike."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-22-23, 10:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
At least we can all now agree that "endurance bike," like "racing bike," is a valid subset of the category "road bike."
I don't think we all agree. As I understand it, Kontact's point in all this is that the "endurance" category is not valid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.