Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brakes problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brakes problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 06:21 AM
Reziko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brakes problem

Hi. So two weeks ago I sprayed dw40 on my bike brakes. Both of them stopped working. Then mechanic changed something. Now it works,but it sounds awful. What should I do?
Old 01-05-24, 07:03 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Reziko
Hi. So two weeks ago I sprayed dw40 on my bike brakes. Both of them stopped working. Then mechanic changed something. Now it works,but it sounds awful. What should I do?
Reapply WD-40?
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 01-05-24, 07:21 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
WD40 is to reduce friction, your brakes work by friction.
Change both the pads and the rotor.
Old 01-05-24, 07:47 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
As mentioned above, never use a lubricant on your brake pads or discs. Hopefully your mechanic thoroughly cleaned your discs before installing new pads. Here are some videos that explain various reasons and fixes for squeaking brakes. how to stop bicycle disc brakes from squeaking - YouTube You could also go back to your mechanic and have him/her try to sort it out and probably no charge as it should be working properly when it leaves the shop. Also, sometimes new pads just need some time to bed in and will stop squealing on their own but shouldn't take more than several rides.
Old 01-05-24, 08:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
A. Be happy you have working brakes.

B. Wash both sides of the discs with hot, soapy/Dawn.

C. Find a mud puddle, splash some muddy water on the discs, ride around hitting the brakes.
Old 01-05-24, 08:25 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
interesting most posters are assuming discs.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-05-24, 08:31 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Dang it, good point. I'm guilty of that.
Old 01-05-24, 08:34 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Dang it, good point. I'm guilty of that.
Considering what is there to lube on a caliper/rotor unlike rim brake pivots.
Old 01-05-24, 09:52 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Assuming rim brakes, clean the brake tracks on the rims thoroughly with detergent and a scouring pad, or a solvent like isopropyl alcohol.
If it's disc brakes clean the rotors in the same way.
If that doesn't help come back for more advice, and tell us what sort of brakes.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-05-24, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Well at least you learned not to spray lubricant onto parts of your bike that depend on friction. Assuming rim brakes, your squealing is probably due to pad alignment. The pads should be “toed in” which means that the front of the pad hits the rim first. Flat or toe out pads will cause the pad to vibrate or “chatter” which is what we call the squealing.

If the brakes are disc, you likely have a contaminated rotor which contaminates the pads. The rotors need cleaning with mineral spirits followed by acetone or denatured alcohol. The pads, even if they are new, are beyond hope. You’ll need new pads as well.

Take the bike back to the mechanic and have them figure out the problem. That’s why you pay a mechanic for.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-05-24, 10:00 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Back when I started working on bikes I used WD40 for rim cleaning. I did this on, perhaps, hundreds of bikes. I can't remember any brake system function "failures" from this cleaning (and cleaning includes wiping off after spraying, no way would I just load up the brakes with a partial lube and do nothing else...). I should include that I consider braking noise/squeal happening during slowing down not as a failure, just an annoyance. At some point after I began working at the area's better shop the boss caught a fellow wrench doing this cleaning and reamed him an extra hole. Not wanting to be on the receiving end of the boss's reprimanding I stopped, mostly. Since I will still use a bench top spray lube sometimes for cleaning but will follow up with a solvent on rag wipe off of the brake tracks.

I also caught the assumption of a disk brake. So many here made that same mistake that I went back a few times to reread the op to see if I was the one that missed the info. Having done the same myself, in other threads before, I wasn't going to say anything unless the need grew.

To the OP's problem- Many things can contribute to a system not functioning. To be able to give best advise I would want to know the condition of the current parts (corrosion in pivots or cables, brake pad glazing or hardened from age, caliper pivot adjustment, cable and casing routing as well as the part of the brake system that many don't consider so, the brake track on the rim (assuming rim brakes). With so little info at this point I don't see that we can tell the OP what's really going on. For now the best we can do is offer possibilities and speculations. Perhaps if we knew more about what the bike shop actually did we might have better "aim". The one possibility that I think of is that the brake pads were replaced and not aligned or tweaked for minimal noise. But this is a shot in a nearly dark room. Andy
Old 01-05-24, 05:50 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Intentionally spraying wd40 on a brake (surface?) is pretty wild. I remember at school maybe doing bike proficiency a teacher asking what we’d put oil on and I said the brakes (meaning the pivots) and they laughed at me. As a kid that was a bit galling.

I don’t toe in pads on side pull caliper brakes or v-brakes and never get any squealing unless it’s raining maybe, but I’ve had to do it on rubbish cantis to try to reduce it.

I’d try some isopropyl alcohol on whatever it was you put that stuff on and put new pads in unless the mechanic did that.
Old 01-05-24, 09:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Never use actual WD-40 on a bike, there just isn't a need, it is a water displacer (hence the WD) and has some carrier lubricant in it but not enough to work on a chain or anything like that but enough to contaminate pads and rotors and other braking surfaces should you be using disc brakes. Clean everything well with isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel or some other clean cloth that is not a rag or at least not a shop rag which can be cleaned in diesel. That is at least a start.

Like Andrew R Stewart said we are all kind of shooting in the dark but cleaning everything first will at least get somewhere.
Old 01-05-24, 10:29 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
"Sounds awful" somehow gets most people thinking that way. :^)
Old 01-06-24, 08:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
"Sounds awful" somehow gets most people thinking that way. :^)

Sure, for those who never had rim brakes squeal. Or never rode them. One of the challenges with not knowing stuff is that often one doesn't even know they don't. Just ask Donald Rumsfeld Andy
Old 01-06-24, 09:49 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Just ask Donald Rumsfeld Andy
LOL, "You stop with the brakes you have, not the brakes you wish you had"...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-06-24, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Welcome to BF.

Where exactly on the brakes did you spray the WD-40? In what way were they not working? Are the cable pulled rim or disc brakes. Or are they hydraulic disc brakes?

If you sprayed the WD-40 on a rusty cable or rusty pivot point on the calipers to free them up, then you also likely got some overspray on the pads and rim or rotor. All that definitely needs to be cleaned off and the pads changed. Though for rim brakes, I have just cleaned them good and endured the squalling noise for a month or more and they finally went back to being silent.
Old 01-06-24, 01:31 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Embrace the horrible sound. It makes people notice when you have to brake to get around them.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 01-07-24, 08:27 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Rim brake squeal serves as my horn.
Old 01-07-24, 10:00 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Don't feed the TROLL.
Old 01-07-24, 10:37 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
"Sounds awful"
- Marvin, the Paranoid Android

(EDIT: a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference)
Old 01-07-24, 01:11 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Rim brake squeal serves as my horn.
In all seriouslness, I have the front cantis set up so they squeal loudly on purpose (long 2 tone pads), makes the MUP rides almost bearable....