Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can’t remove pedals ~ but still want to use SPD shoes.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 11:54 AM
K44S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a schwinn Johnny g original spin bike off Craigslist. $100
Works great.

EXCEPT the pedals are rusted on solid. I’ve tried everything to remove them. But I still would like to use my Specialized Cycling shoes with SPD clips.

is there something I can hook on to the existing pedal that will adapt it so I can clip in.
I’ve googled but I am really not sure what to order or if it will work ~ and can’t afford returns and hassles with shipping.

thanks for help ….
Old 01-30-24, 12:00 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
No.

Use penetrating lube (I like Finish Line's Chill Zone), a solid wrench, and plenty of leverage.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 01-30-24, 12:26 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Hit it with some penetrating oil from both sides, cut the axle, and hit it with an impact wrench or tack a long bar on it and twist. A little fire will loosen it up too...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-30-24, 12:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
two things.
1. Did you start with the right side (you're right side when sitting on the bike) and try to remove it by assuming the spindle rotated counterclockwise when looking at it? The right side is reversed thread while the left side is normal threading.
2. Are you using a good pedal wrench? Something like the Park Tool PW-4 which has never failed me in removing a pedal from a bike, this includes the 60s-80s low end bikes with steel spindles that had steel pedal spindles rusted in. At half the price but good for a homeowner, is the Bikehand extra long handle. It looks similar to the park but they're not the same. The Park will last well over a decade in a pro shop, mine is 20 years old and has more wear on the sides from kicking around a tool bag than the jaws have from turning pedals and axle nuts. The Bikehand was brought into a shop I was at, after about 2 years there was noticeable wear to the jaws but it probably turned more pedals in those two years than the average home shop will go through and with a 14" handle it'll move things. I don't recommend either for installing pedals, way to easy to overtighten without a lot of practice and tear the threads out of a crank, I've seen people do it too.
Old 01-30-24, 12:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Leverage is your friend.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-24, 12:44 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Left pedal is reverse thread. (Never hurts to start there.)

"I've tried everything" - have you tried a pedal wrench? They're about 18" or so long, so they provide sufficient leverage for removal of all but the most stubborn pedals. (Pedal wrenches are designated either 1/2" or 9/16" - or both, in the case of double-ended wrenches. Make sure you use the correct size.)

(Edit: just checked the website of a company that sells spare parts for the Johnny G spin bike and saw SPD pedal hardware listed for the bike. That means that the cranks take 9/16" pedals, including your SPD pedals.)

If you use a pedal wrench and the pedal still won't budge, figure out how to apply more leverage. When customers came into one of the shops where I used to work complaining that a pedal had proved impossible to remove, I'd just grab a Park Tools fork straightener to add another couple of feet of leverage. Never failed.

Here's a picture of the tool, for inspiration.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-30-24 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-30-24, 01:21 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
The first thought is always “are you turning in the correct direction for removal. Both sides, Always to the rear for removal, to the front for installation. PB Blaster and a cheater bar, strap the crank arm to the chain stay to secure it, use a leg on the cheater bar
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-30-24, 01:32 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I had a pedal that wouldn't come off a new used bike. Tried heat, penetrating oil, finally took it to a mechanic who put a 2 foot pipe on a pedal wrench. It came right off.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 01-30-24, 03:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Two words: cheater bar.

Six more words: the left pedal is reverse thread.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-30-24, 03:53 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Or remove and ditch the rusty crank and put a new one on. Problem sidestepped.
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-30-24, 04:52 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I had a pedal that wouldn't come off a new used bike. Tried heat, penetrating oil, finally took it to a mechanic who put a 2 foot pipe on a pedal wrench. It came right off.
LOL. When folks bring in "pedals that won't come off" I sit and shoot the **** with the mechanic for a few, if I roll the bike back, and roll it back out in one motion, folks feel they ddidn't get their money's woth.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-30-24, 07:44 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Both sides, Always to the rear for removal, to the front for installation.
You also need to specify that the wrench passes *over* the pedal.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 01-31-24, 02:18 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by sweeks
You also need to specify that the wrench passes *over* the pedal.
I did wonder what “to the” meant. Once you know, you know, but when I needed to remember I always just lined the wrench up along the crank with the pedal towards the front wheel and push down on it.

Last edited by choddo; 01-31-24 at 02:21 AM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-31-24, 06:14 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Two words: cheater bar.

Six more words: the left pedal is reverse thread.
That should get any pedal off, but also good penetrating oil and time to soak in would help. Kroil is my fav. Don't think stuff like WD40 is a substitute.

Also, while I have never needed one for pedals an impact wrench breaks stuff loose that nothing else will touch.
Old 01-31-24, 08:37 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
That should get any pedal off, but also good penetrating oil and time to soak in would help. Kroil is my fav. Don't think stuff like WD40 is a substitute.
In my experience, a big lever has always done the job for pedals. Using penetrating oil makes a lot of sense for freeing larger-diameter parts with a higher thread count per inch, though.

Also, while I have never needed one for pedals, an impact wrench breaks stuff loose that nothing else will touch.
You're right. I've always wondered why no one ever seems to think to use one to free a stuck seat post or stem.
Old 01-31-24, 09:58 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts

Also, while I have never needed one for pedals an impact wrench breaks stuff loose that nothing else will touch.
Impact wrenches are great, but I'm not sure how you're going to attach one to a pedal spindle, unless it has a hexagon (most only have two flats). I suppose you could try a crowsfoot but anything you put between the driver and the screw reduces the shock that's transmitted.
Old 01-31-24, 10:18 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by grumpus
Impact wrenches are great, but I'm not sure how you're going to attach one to a pedal spindle, unless it has a hexagon (most only have two flats). I suppose you could try a crowsfoot but anything you put between the driver and the screw reduces the shock that's transmitted.
Fine on a pedal with a hex socket in the axle I guess? Not sure how common that is but most of mine have them.
Old 01-31-24, 10:57 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Yeah probably no good for pedals with just flats, but these days I thought most pedals took a 6 or 8 mm allen key either instead of or in addition to the two flats. Most (all?) of my bikes pedals will take an allen key. I am not sure about the M324s on my folder or the older Look 3 bolt cleat pedals on an old road bike that I haven't ridden in ages, but I think even they do too. I know that at least one pair of pedals on one bike has no flats.

I could probably find some other pedals in my parts box that had only flats, but they likely haven't been used in decades.

My personal preference would be to have both.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 01-31-24, 11:17 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
Had trouble with a Steel Pedal rusted into a Steel Cottered Crank. Even three days of PB Blaster did not loosen the pedals. I just gave up cause I was not going to use the Cottered Crank anyway. About a week latter I noted my 90 year old Dad messing around with the crank on the picnic bench. He had been soaking the pedals in Vinegar.

Well go figure, They hand wrenched right off...

It would appear that Steel on Steel rust can be treated with Vinegar. But that may not be the case with Aluminum to Steel or other alloys.
Old 01-31-24, 08:08 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
First, agree with those suggesting that the wrench is being used in the correct direction. L and R pedals have opposite threads. Use the wrench so that it is parallel and adjacent to the crank arm. You should be pushing on the wrench so that you are putting no torque on the crank. If this fails, soak in penetrating oil or a 50-50 mix of brake fluid annd acetone overnight. If this fails you can, if you are willing to, use a torch to heat the joint (make sure no acetone remains!) If this fails, drill out the thread from the inboard side, usin a LH or RH drill-whichever will unscrew the pedal. If this fails, take your crank arms to a machine shop and have them wire EDM the pedal out. Or buy a new crank…
Old 01-31-24, 08:45 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
If this fails, soak in penetrating oil or a 50-50 mix of brake fluid Automatic Transmission Fluid annd acetone overnight.
Don't use brake fluid but the ATF/Acetone works as good as anything.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-01-24, 08:01 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Don't use brake fluid but the ATF/Acetone works as good as anything.
Ah, yeah, that's it. I had a brain fart. Use ATF/Acetone 50/50. Thanks Cranky.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 02-01-24, 10:05 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
1. Did you start with the right side (you're right side when sitting on the bike) and try to remove it by assuming the spindle rotated counterclockwise when looking at it? The right side is reversed thread while the left side is normal threading.
Except you have that reversed. Right hand pedal is right hand thread, left hand pedal is left hand thread. Right hand bottom bracket cup is left hand thread, left hand bottom bracket cup is right hand thread.
Old 02-01-24, 06:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
As others have said: each pedal loosens as you turn the wrench over the top of the pedal spindle rearward. They tighten the opposite way. Penetrating oil doesn't have to be bike specific - in fact I'm flabbergasted that there is such a thing. I happen to use PB Blaster because I've had a can around forever. Cheater bar as needed.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-04-24 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-03-24, 11:22 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
two things.
The right side is reversed thread while the left side is normal threading.
You may be thinking about a bottom bracket. The left pedal is reverse threaded, not the right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.