Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cone pitting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cone pitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 10:23 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Yep, I meant to say cups. I like your explanation too on the lesser distance of the bearing track. Interestingly, I’ve seldom had a bad cup, so I should be thankful for that at least.
Old 03-20-24, 01:09 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Hahaha... I'm not going to say I'm a "good" mechanic; "minimally adequate" is more like it. But several years ago I bought one of THESE, and adjusting the bearings to the right amount of pre-load is a snap.
This is the one you'll more often see in bike shops, I think.
Old 03-20-24, 01:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
...They are OLD!
Another question is how deep are the pits? Or are they even pits? Often I have seen super shallow changes in old Peugeot/Simplex Cones that were simply a change in color and not pits at all. A simple cleaning with 440 sand paper and they polished out just fine.

I have always been impressed at how well Cones and Cups hold out. After all, they are at the apex/cone of the entire bicycle including the fat yahoo on top of it and everything else... HA

OH... And another thing... I always replace the bearings on a old bike rebuild, but do I really have to? Probably not...

Last edited by zandoval; 03-20-24 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-20-24, 02:36 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Another question is how deep are the pits? Or are they even pits? Often I have seen super shallow changes in old Peugeot/Simplex Cones that were simply a change in color and not pits at all. A simple cleaning with 440 sand paper and they polished out just fine.

I have always been impressed at how well Cones and Cups hold out. After all, they are at the apex/cone of the entire bicycle including the fat yahoo on top of it and everything else... HA

OH... And another thing... I always replace the bearings on a old bike rebuild, but do I really have to? Probably not...
With my less than ideal vision, it's worth peace of mind for $2. Having to clean, tediously (for me) inspect and I'd still worry I'd miss something.
When you have saved enough old ones, do a mass cleaning and you have slingshot ammo.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-20-24, 08:15 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
This is the one you'll more often see in bike shops, I think.
I've got one of those too, but it just clamps the axle. The Stein tool allows the axle to be compressed (shortened) by the quick release *while* the bearings are being adjusted. There's no quesswork about how much the bearing pre-load changes when the wheel is subsequently installed on the bike.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 03-21-24, 01:42 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
I've got one of those too, but it just clamps the axle. The Stein tool allows the axle to be compressed (shortened) by the quick release *while* the bearings are being adjusted. There's no quesswork about how much the bearing pre-load changes when the wheel is subsequently installed on the bike.
I use dummy dropouts with the QR, a few thick washers does the same job. I'm not seeing any advantage in clamping the assembly in a vise, although I could.
Old 03-22-24, 05:16 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I use dummy dropouts with the QR, a few thick washers does the same job. I'm not seeing any advantage in clamping the assembly in a vise, although I could.
Good point... you'd be able to rotate the axle and feel for interferences better if the wheel wasn't clamped in a vise. I guess the Stein tool could be released from the vise as well.
Old 03-24-24, 12:38 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
Good point... you'd be able to rotate the axle and feel for interferences better if the wheel wasn't clamped in a vise. I guess the Stein tool could be released from the vise as well.
Good point. IMO, it's absolutely critical to be able to rotate the axle in fingers for proper preload adjustment, rotating the wheel has too much leverage, you won't feel things.
Likes For Duragrouch: