Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Sept 14: Pie Ride (>100 miles, >10k vertical)

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Sept 14: Pie Ride (>100 miles, >10k vertical)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 09:50 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
I'll volunteer to be the SAG, I had a change of heart about riding but I wouldn't mind driving behind your slow arses bumping you guys to go faster (actually I just want to observe your techniques and lend a hand).

How about this... I'll carry all your gear (pumps, spare tubes, spare wheels, extra drinks/food). Only thing I ask is $3 from each person to cover my fuel/wear&tear.

(This is a serious offer BTW)
SAG would be much appreciated. $3 per person is more than reasonable. In fact, on former Pie Rides with SAG, we have generally given the SAG driver more than that. If others don't pay, I'll happily pay you on their behalf.
Old 09-11-08, 09:53 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jancouver
Since we got no SAGs can anybody tell me how many times and where we will be able to refill our bottles? It is my understanding that there is a market at the top of the Palomar? Is the store open that early morning? Just want to make sure I have enough water/food for the ride
Well, it looks like we might have SAG after all. But if not, the longest stretch is going up Palomar. The store at the top should be open and will be helpful if going to the observatory. Otherwise, as it's mostly downhill on East Grade, I am advising everyone who is not going to the observatory to head immediately down East Grade and to not stop until the Lake Henshaw store. As it's downhill for all but about a mile, it is not likely that you will reach the top of Palomar with so little water that you can't make it to the Lake Henshaw store. (But if you do, then by all means stop at the Palomar store for water.)
Old 09-11-08, 09:53 PM
Iamkar33m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, i'd be more than willing to provide support. Just let me know what to bring so that I'm well equipped for anything SAG support would normally provide.

Here's what I'll have:

- Topeak Joe Blow floor pump (with both presta and schraeder heads)
- Electric cooler to keep your spare drinks chilled
- Misc bike tools (allen wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, etc.)

Anything else?
Old 09-11-08, 09:55 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, Iamkar33m, if you're serious about this, I'll bring along a spare Shimano wheelset (and cassette changing tools) and a few spare tubes for the SAG car. Hopefully some people can bring along a gallon of water each so that we have a bunch of water and don't have to rely on overpriced small bottles of water for refilling water bottles. The Pie Ride is quite doable without SAG, but SAG would be awesome.
Old 09-11-08, 09:57 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, if you want to get a bunch of water, I'll happily reimburse you for it on behalf of all the riders. (And any we don't drink, you can keep.) I'll bring along a spare Shimano wheelset in case anyone has wheel mechanical problems and the cassette changing tools (just in case).
Old 09-11-08, 09:58 PM
felt1
Idiot

Bikes: Kirklee(custom), GT GTR Ultra, Salsa Mamasita

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll give you ten, if I don't have to stop other than for pie.
Iamkar33m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
By the way, Iamkar33m, if you're serious about this, I'll bring along a spare Shimano wheelset (and cassette changing tools) and a few spare tubes for the SAG car. Hopefully some people can bring along a gallon of water each so that we have a bunch of water and don't have to rely on overpriced small bottles of water for refilling water bottles. The Pie Ride is quite doable without SAG, but SAG would be awesome.
I am 99.9999999999% serious about this, bring along whatever you'd like to have access to in the SAG car (which will be a nice flashy black mercedes benz).

Any chance anyone has magnetic signage for an official SAG car?
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by felt1
I'll give you ten, if I don't have to stop, other than for pie.
That's about how much we've given SAG drivers per person in the past, and I feel it's a very reasonable amount in exchange for the luxury of not carrying any excess weight and not having to pay for overpriced small bottles of water.
Old 09-11-08, 10:00 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any chance anyone has magnetic signage for an official SAG car?
I'll make you a deal. If you're willing to drive SAG, I'll pay for whatever magnetic signage you want to get for yourself.
Old 09-11-08, 10:01 PM
Iamkar33m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, if you want to get a bunch of water, I'll happily reimburse you for it on behalf of all the riders. (And any we don't drink, you can keep.) I'll bring along a spare Shimano wheelset in case anyone has wheel mechanical problems and the cassette changing tools (just in case).
I'll bring the water. You want me to get a case of bottled water from costco and throw it in the cooler or do you want a couple big jugs?

Any special requests for water? Plain? Dasani? Kirkland? Propel? etc.

I'll give you ten, if I don't have to stop other than for pie.
The more, the better. But I really don't want to profit from this, just enough for my expenses/time is appreciated.
Old 09-11-08, 10:02 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jancouver
Since we got no SAGs can anybody tell me how many times and where we will be able to refill our bottles? It is my understanding that there is a market at the top of the Palomar? Is the store open that early morning? Just want to make sure I have enough water/food for the ride
I've done this ride a few times so the mileages are somewhat close but they're still estimates.

There is free well water on the side of SG Rd at about 12.5 miles. The store is at 13.1. If it is closed, there is a hose behind the bldg. Then there is about a 14 mile descent to the Lake Henshaw store. The next stop is at the Julan Pie Co. at 50-55 miles. Then another 15 to the AM-PM in Ramona. The next leg is Highland Valley Rd to Escondido. There's a place in Escondido called the OG Market before we head out E. Valley Prkwy to Lake Wohlford. At the top of Lake Wohlford hill there's a public restroom that should have a drinking fountain.

Jschen might have changed the route a little and may have also changed the stops but two bottles should be fine. If it turns out to be extra hot or dry you can pick up an extra 500ml bottle at Lake Henshaw.
Old 09-11-08, 10:02 PM
Iamkar33m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll make you a deal. If you're willing to drive SAG, I'll pay for whatever magnetic signage you want to get for yourself.
I was joking about that part... but maybe a good idea would be to get a vinyl sticker for my rear window so passing traffic knows to pass me.

I was just going to hit my emergency blinkers and drive as far right as possible.
Old 09-11-08, 10:05 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd be amazed how much gas you burn through slogging your way up the mountain climbs with the riders and going back and forth checking on the various groups of riders. $10 per person disappears really quickly. As for water, plain tap water in jugs would be fine. Anything works, really.
Old 09-11-08, 10:05 PM
GP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I type too slow.

When Tiffanie drove SAG I think we used 6 gallons. I forget how many people there were.
Old 09-11-08, 10:06 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig
Jschen might have changed the route a little and may have also changed the stops but two bottles should be fine. If it turns out to be extra hot or dry you can pick up an extra 500ml bottle at Lake Henshaw.
No changes from what you rode last time. As long as you can get up Palomar on two bottles, two bottles should be fine. Besides, if we have SAG, then water will always be nearby anyway if you stick with the main group.
Old 09-11-08, 10:07 PM
felt1
Idiot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll bring a few gallons too, just in case.
Old 09-11-08, 10:08 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I type too slow.

When Tiffanie drove SAG I think we used 6 gallons. I forget how many people there were.
I think that was eight people. I have no clue at this point how many people to expect. It doesn't help that this ride is cross posted in two different forums, and we also have no clue which people are sticking with the main group (regrouping at all the stops) and which people plan on taking the route slip and heading out at their own pace. If there's an issue about how much water, though, like I said, I'll happily pay for everybody's water, so we can just aim on the high side as far as how much water we need.
Old 09-11-08, 10:13 PM
Iamkar33m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, here's the bottom line...

I'll drive SAG for sure. Cost for utilizing my services will be $10 a rider (since that's what most people seem to want to pay). I will bring 5 gallons of cheap water from costco (jschen can reimburse me for that). I'll also have a large foam cooler filled with ice for peoples extra bottles.

I'll also bring my floor pump, and my tools. I will carry anyone's spare wheels, tubes, preferred pumps, etc.

How does that sound?

jschen, I'll be PMing you my cell # in case you want to contact me for whatever reason.
Old 09-11-08, 10:22 PM
felt1
Idiot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pm me if you want and I will send mine now via paypal just so you are not out any money.
Old 09-11-08, 10:25 PM
GP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, here's the bottom line...

I'll drive SAG for sure. Cost for utilizing my services will be $10 a rider (since that's what most people seem to want to pay). I will bring 5 gallons of cheap water from costco (jschen can reimburse me for that). I'll also have a large foam cooler filled with ice for peoples extra bottles.

I'll also bring my floor pump, and my tools. I will carry anyone's spare wheels, tubes, preferred pumps, etc.

How does that sound?

jschen, I'll be PMing you my cell # in case you want to contact me for whatever reason.
Excellent.

We also pay for your pie and post ride lunch.
Old 09-11-08, 10:26 PM
Iamkar33m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pm me if you want and I will send mine now via paypal just so you are not out any money.
Naw it's cool. Tomorrow's payday, I have no problems collecting the cash Sunday before the ride. Thanks though
Old 09-11-08, 10:27 PM
Iamkar33m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent.

We also pay for your pie and post ride lunch.
Icing on the cake.
Old 09-11-08, 10:28 PM
Jancouver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll volunteer to be the SAG, I had a change of heart about riding but I wouldn't mind driving behind your slow arses bumping you guys to go faster (actually I just want to observe your techniques and lend a hand).

How about this... I'll carry all your gear (pumps, spare tubes, spare wheels, extra drinks/food). Only thing I ask is $10 from each person to cover my fuel/wear&tear.

(This is a serious offer BTW)
I dont have problem to pay you at the same time I want to see your new bike in action so forget it and ride with us

Palomar will be the longest time you will be without water. After that its pretty much down hill to lake henshaw where there is another store to fill. The pie stop is just 15 miles from there.
Thanks for the info. In that case I should be fine with two large bottles. Just wasnt sure if we will be able to refill before the pie store.
Old 09-11-08, 10:32 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the past, SAG drivers have been reasonably compensated for their time and effort. It's not exactly a job, and so you won't get wealthy driving SAG, but I hope to maintain a tradition on the Pie Ride of ensuring that SAG drivers have a great time and don't have to worry about their expenses. And, as I promised way back in January 2006 after my first Pie Ride, I do still intend to drive SAG one of these times. Not this time, but someday, I will drive SAG for a Pie Ride.
Old 09-11-08, 10:49 PM
Jancouver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will get some BANANAS for all of us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.