Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Doing the North Trash route in a week and a half-but can't find a map!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 11:57 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts

I tried the Velodirt link, called the number, they're out of print. The local REI doesn't have one. I've even searched for a PDF version.

I'm riding out on August 14 (Friday), and don't want to get lost out there. And, no, don't have GPS except on my phone, which tends to die at the wrong time.

Anybody know where I can get one?
Old 08-17-15, 04:28 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I tried the Velodirt link, called the number, they're out of print. The local REI doesn't have one. I've even searched for a PDF version.

I'm riding out on August 14 (Friday), and don't want to get lost out there. And, no, don't have GPS except on my phone, which tends to die at the wrong time.

Anybody know where I can get one?
Were you ever able to find a map? Would also love to hear how the ride went.
Old 08-17-15, 06:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by justin1138
Were you ever able to find a map? Would also love to hear how the ride went.
Didn't find a map, went with ridewithgps printouts, a cyclometer, and downloaded this. Note that it's just the Oregon Bikepacking route, I just added some notes (click on the "i's" to see them)

I posted the ride on the C&V forum. Note that it starts about the bike, scroll down till you get to the report.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l-grinder.html

Some things I didn't add:

1. It was a cool day, and I went through 3 liters of water. You can stop along the North Fork of the Trask River and refill if you're comfortable doing so-I'll bring a small hiking filter next time. You cannot refill at Barney Reservoir.
2. Right after mile 24 on my map the pavement ends and you're entering Weyerhaeuser managed forest lands. When I was there on Friday, there was a sign saying it was closed to public use due to high fire hazard. I decided to keep going, and it worked. I think they just don't want anybody camping there right now. A campfire could be disasterous. I read that one guy was stopped a few weeks ago, and he said he wasn't camping out, and using his GPS to ride all the way to Tillamook. They let him go. No one stopped me. YMMV.
3. Use GPS. If you don't have a standalone unit, your phone with GPS will work fine. You can download my ridewithgps route beforehand-there is no cell coverage for 30% of the ride, and it's the 30% of the ride that you can most easily get lost. My Android phone gave me audio turn-by-turn directions. So, the maps will download and your GPS will still work.
4. If you use your phone for GPS, bring one of those USB charging bricks and keep it attached to your phone.
5. Print out out route, and use a cyclometer so you know where you are on the map. A compass wouldn't hurt. Electronics can fail.
6. Bring a friend - I didn't, it was a bit scary thinking that if something happened to me, it might be hours, perhaps days before somebody would come by. Miles 24-35 are currently active-weekdays there'll be logging trucks. Weekends I believe there are not.
7. Play nice with the loggers. You'll see large swaths of clearcut and may not like it, but without logging, you wouldn't have the roads to ride on. Whatever your politics are, leave 'em at home, get off the trail long before a truck comes up to you (way off), smile and wave as they go by.

You probably either already know this, or would figure it all out yourself, but just want to make sure. Have a safe and sane ride!
Old 08-18-15, 11:41 AM
justin1138

Didn't find a map, went with ridewithgps printouts, a cyclometer, and downloaded this. Note that it's just the Oregon Bikepacking route, I just added some notes (click on the "i's" to see them)...
Thanks for all the info and tips. I spent some time looking over your other posts and pictures. I also saw the comments in the Oregon Bikepacking Forum. I think that's been the most useful information so far, don't fear the locked gate and play nice with the loggers.

I have a friend visiting in mid-October and I'm planning on riding a loop with the North Trask and Toll Road routes. We'll stay in Tillamook for the night and make a weekend out of it. He's got a GPS, so we should be okay on that front. I'm still going to come prepared and have a back up source of navigation because you never know. Hopefully the weather plays nice and all goes well.
Old 08-18-15, 12:21 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by justin1138
Thanks for all the info and tips. I spent some time looking over your other posts and pictures. I also saw the comments in the Oregon Bikepacking Forum. I think that's been the most useful information so far, don't fear the locked gate and play nice with the loggers.

I have a friend visiting in mid-October and I'm planning on riding a loop with the North Trask and Toll Road routes. We'll stay in Tillamook for the night and make a weekend out of it. He's got a GPS, so we should be okay on that front. I'm still going to come prepared and have a back up source of navigation because you never know. Hopefully the weather plays nice and all goes well.
Yep, you're thinking right. When I was researching this, there was plenty of info on rides from the past, but recent info was not to be found. Nothing about current road conditions or closures. At the O.B. site "willyb" posted about the road closure sign on Aug. 7, maybe that got people to see it as an active source of info.

Another thing that's confusing is that there's Oregon Bikepacking and Velodirt - both started by Donnie Kolb - and they seem to be redundant, which dilutes the information. I'm emailing him to find out why there are two sites.

Please post a ride report if and when you go, either here and link to the OB site or vice versa. Fresh info is gold.
Old 08-18-15, 05:18 PM
justin1138

Yep, you're thinking right. When I was researching this, there was plenty of info on rides from the past, but recent info was not to be found. Nothing about current road conditions or closures. At the O.B. site "willyb" posted about the road closure sign on Aug. 7, maybe that got people to see it as an active source of info.

Another thing that's confusing is that there's Oregon Bikepacking and Velodirt - both started by Donnie Kolb - and they seem to be redundant, which dilutes the information. I'm emailing him to find out why there are two sites.

Please post a ride report if and when you go, either here and link to the OB site or vice versa. Fresh info is gold.
I'll definitely post something when it's all done. I love ride reports, especially for the local stuff. Fresh info is always good, so happy to contribute my piece.

For now though, it's list time for what I need/want to make this fun.