Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken axle-part 2

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Broken axle-part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 11:15 AM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Broken axle-part 2

I posted a couple of days ago about my broken axle and a too short replacement I ordered.I'm thinking now is it too short?The axle protrudes maybe a miiimeter and a half to 2 mm on one side of locknut.It supported the wheel on the truing stand well enough to true the wheel.Isn't the clasping of the wheel on the dropout and locknut that holds it more than the support of the dropout from the bottom?I did order a longer axle but theoretically wouldn't a miniscule axle be sufficient?I did ,by the way assemble the wheel with axle as is and it seems fine.I hesitate to take it out for any serious rides though.I'm interested in what people think.
Old 04-27-17, 11:19 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
1mm of axle, not counting the chamfer at the end is plenty enough for the job. The frame rests on the shoulder, and the combination of QR and axle face is added protection against movement.

However, for a variety of reasons, an axle length of 10-11mm longer than the nominal locknut distance is preferred. Ie. 130mm spacing, 140-141 axle.

So feel free to ride this any way you want, and don't sweat. But next time around, consider buying the right axle.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.