Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spray-on cleaner for shifters

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 12:16 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts

I'm replacing my Shimano Ultegra rubber brake hoods, and prior to their arrival: While I have them off, (planning on leaving the shifters in place on the handlebars), with the shifter mechanism exposed, is there a once-and-done cleaner that will work to get any grime off of them, and lubricate at the same time? I've seen recommendations for WD-40 then a soak in mineral oil - for when you have them pulled and are able to place them in a small receptacle - I just do not plan on getting that involved with them.
Old 05-01-23, 01:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I just turn the bike upside down and spray ample amounts of WD-40 into the mechanism, working the shifter up and down the gears several times.

After everything dries completely, I might put a couple drops of oil on the moving parts. Or not. Those shifters don't seem to need much lubrication.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-03-23, 07:05 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
No need to pull, search on YouTube for "shimano STI shifter" and dozens of how to video's come up, many from quality shops doing it slightly differently and they all work.
Old 05-03-23, 12:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
whatever vids I've seen, the presenter sprays w/ WD40
Old 05-03-23, 09:37 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
WD40 can be had with silicone. https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Special...00&sr=8-2&th=1
Old 05-03-23, 09:52 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
I would look at using a brake cleaner, will leave no residue and dries pretty quickly, then you can drop a couple of drops of lubricant on the moving parts. I hate the residue that WD-40 leaves behind.

Old 06-17-23, 03:11 PM
typ240

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
is there a once-and-done cleaner that will work to get any grime off of them, and lubricate at the same time?.
I use Lucas CLP(Clean. Lubricate.Protect) or Ballistol. It’s mostly used for cleaning guns but I find it to be excellent with cleaning and lubricating bike parts.

I sprayed my “creaky” bottom bracket and it went away after my LBS says that there was nothing wrong with my BB.

They sell the Lucas stuff in Oreillys, depending where you live.
Old 06-21-23, 08:39 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Thread Drift: Man, the WD40 company has gotten so diversified in their offerings that they no longer have what was potentially their greatest strength in the market...that, because of how limited their offerings were -- remember, up until ~10 years ago all they made was one product, "WD40" -- everybody in the company was practically a Subject Matter Expert! The receptionist who answered telephones at the front desk could probably tell you everything there was to know about "WD40".
Old 06-21-23, 09:44 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I just turn the bike upside down and spray ample amounts of WD-40 into the mechanism, working the shifter up and down the gears several times.

After everything dries completely, I might put a couple drops of oil on the moving parts. Or not. Those shifters don't seem to need much lubrication.
I do the same - sometimes will follow WD-40 with a few squirts of Tri-Flow (or not) ... the Tri-Flow adds the ‘banana smell’ lol

we have a number of bikes with Shimano Rapidfire and Dual Control shifters that sat for years untouched - many for decades - WD-40 was the fix for all

we keep multiple cans of WD-40 in a few different locations around our house - that stuff is versatile

you know you are old when you can recall when WD-40 first began to appear