Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

good hub bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

good hub bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 03:39 PM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
good hub bearings

My front (Roval CLX32) bearings are a bit gritty and you can feel they rotate quite slow (in hand).
I want to change them, and... question, to what?
(ceramic bearings for 50-100eur/pcs are out of question )
  • Some ppl say that Enduro bearings are 'just average', (Enduro Abec 5 61802 LLB -13.5eur)
  • so maybe SKF (SKF 61802-2RS1 26eur)
or
  • NTN then (~16eur for 6(1)802)?
  • Have you heard about Cema ceramic bearings? (these are for about 22eur)
  • DT Swiss 6802 ESB/ESNB L - ~10-15eur (I don't know who makes them)
  • ISB ?
Can you recommend? any experience?
In my FS frames I used Enduro (max) always, but after reading that many ppl consider them just (above) average? I'll think more...
Old 01-11-24, 04:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Just about ANY commercial grade sealed bearing is more than adequate for your needs. Though they aren't as common, single sealed bearings have a (very) slight benefit of lower seal drag, and you don't need an inner seal anyway. But that's not to fret over either way. Commercial bearings are typically rated for 10,000+ hours of continuous duty in 3,600rpm electric motors, and are more than adequate to your needs. If you have concerns over rumors of poor quality for Enduro, consider skf or Fafnir, or any others.

In any case, I don't believe it's possible to wear out any of these on a bike UNLESS they're compromised by dirt or water. So seal quality and condition, and riding conditions become the major factors in service life.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-11-24, 04:19 PM
razorjack

somehow... all bearings on bikes fail, in suspension sometimes even just after few months (if you live in wet place), and seals (LLU - full contant) are not able to stop all the moisture.
However, these are for my road bike and currently I live in a dry area (it rains once per 1-2 months I can ride my MTB at that time )
ok, too much thinking, I'll just get the once it's easiest to get (just not enduro this time)
Old 01-11-24, 04:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by razorjack
somehow... all bearings on bikes fail, in suspension sometimes even just after few months (if you live in wet place), and seals (LLU - full contant) are not able to stop all the moisture.
FWIW- While we in the bike world like to believe differently, the seals on commercial bearings are NOT WEATHER SEALS. These bearings are designed for things like electric motors, or other industrial applications and the seals are dust, not water seals. In applications where weather or water resistance is needed, that's provided outside of the bearing, rather than relying on the bearing's seals.

This is why exposed "sealed" bearings don't hold up on bikes, especially mtn bikes. IME-they actually do a better job keeping water in than out.
So, do the best you can, and expect a sub-optimal service life.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-11-24, 05:06 PM
razorjack

I know that, it was just an answer to your statement "I don't believe it's possible to wear out any of these on a bike...."
yep, I ride my bikes only outside, I don't use home rollers.

still one question:

Have you heard about Cema ceramic bearings? (these are for about 22eur)
Old 01-11-24, 05:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Are you sure they are worn out. Or do they just have grit and sand in them.
Old 01-12-24, 04:39 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
The problem is that when you get grit or sand in the bearings then removing those particles becomes problematic, whether or not they have caused any appreciable wear. The cages are quite good at catching the grit or sand, but then removing anything caught there is difficult, and once you can hear it it in there, then there is too much for the cages to carry.
Old 01-16-24, 12:53 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Any reasonably name brand bearing will be fine, but probably the best are bearing brands like NTN, SKF, NSK, ***, etc, many of which are manufactured in Japan. Ceramic mostly does not outperform high end steel bearings in this application except for extremely minor weight differences. DT bearings are pretty nice, I think the better ones are

Enduro makes/resells a LOT of products. They have such a presence in the bike industry both because they market to the bike industry and because they do design a number of products/bearings uniquely to the bike industry. Enduro MAX bearings for example are uniquely designed for suspension pivots, for example. For hub bearings probably the above recommendations are better, though in practice Enduro's bearings work perfectly well, especially their better stainless bearings.

If you ride in wet/gritty conditions decent, inexpensive bearings and replacing them more frequently will net you better performance than high end bearings run until they begin failing, though it's obviously annoying to have to do with excessive regularity.
Likes For cpach:
Old 01-16-24, 08:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Any reasonably name brand bearing will be fine, but probably the best are bearing brands like NTN, SKF, NSK, ***, etc, many of which are manufactured in Japan. Ceramic mostly does not outperform high end steel bearings in this application except for extremely minor weight differences. DT bearings are pretty nice, I think the better ones are
I've been thinking I might want to open a restaurant named, "I Don't Know." Figure that half the time someone's going out to eat, they start by asking someone else, "Where do you want to go?" followed by "I don't know." I'll make a killing.

Is "***" a similarly named bearing company?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-06-24, 11:47 AM
razorjack

interesingly, after removal those bearings didn't have gritty effect, they were smooth,
New mounted without a hassle.
Old 02-08-24, 05:21 AM
FBinNY 

interesingly, after removal those bearings didn't have gritty effect, they were smooth,
It might have been a problem caused by axial preload.

Bike people are constantly reminded about preload, which is fitting for classic cup/cone bearings. However the cartridge bearings typically used cannot tolerate any preload. They are usually deep groove radial bearings with correct preload built in. Axial preload f forces the balls against the sides of the races causing destructive wear.

If the hubs have any adjustability, via shims or otherwise, take up excess play, leaving a trace, but do not preload.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-08-24, 08:24 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Any reasonably name brand bearing will be fine, but probably the best are bearing brands like NTN, SKF, NSK, ***, etc, many of which are manufactured in Japan.
Just have to add that for those wondering, the *** bearings referred to every so often are F A G (Fischer's Automatische Gussstahlkugelfabrik) and are German and one of the highest quality bearings available. No explanation needed why this is censored and rarely spelled out. Just Sayin'.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-08-24, 08:36 AM
FBinNY 

Don't you love the auto-censor?

Think about the plight of folks who sell wood kindling.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-09-24, 04:12 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've been thinking I might want to open a restaurant named, "I Don't Know." Figure that half the time someone's going out to eat, they start by asking someone else, "Where do you want to go?" followed by "I don't know." I'll make a killing.

Is "***" a similarly named bearing company?
I know exactly why that got filtered, a quite well-known and old bearing company based in Schweinfurt Germany. But the name matches a derogatory term in some countries.

With regard to "dust" versus "water" seals, I was not a bearing engineer, but my application used a "double-lip" seal, the inner lip kept in the grease, the outer lip kept out dust, and they both combined to keep out water.

Back in the day, for roller bearings, I bought Timken, but I don't think they made ball bearings, so for that it was New Departure Hyatt I think. "Doesn't anyone buy American anymore?" - Martin Blank, Grosse Point Blank

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-09-24 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-10-24, 03:50 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
"Doesn't anyone buy American anymore?" - Martin Blank, Grosse Point Blank
I think I need to watch that again.
Old 02-11-24, 01:37 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by grumpus
I think I need to watch that again.
I'm from Detroit 'burbs, so many lines are inside jokes.
"I'm staying at my parents'."
"What happened to your apartment?"
"Burned down on Devil's Night."
Old 02-11-24, 09:34 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
But the name matches a derogatory term in some countries.
Also a term for "cigarette" in others...
Likes For sweeks:
Old 02-11-24, 10:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
You experienced what the added preload from a slight interference fit produces. I have removed many cartridge bearings from bikes that were rough spinning/gritty in place but "loosened up" when removed. By the same mechanism increasing spoke tensions can expand the hub shell and the bearing preload goes the other way, too loose. The new bearings have a smooth ball track still and thus won't have any roughness felt, even with too much preload. In theory the interference fit should add just the correct amount of preload that the bearing manufacturer deems correct for their product. But keeping tight tolerances is not what the majority of the bike business has embraced (and a huge reason why angular contact bearings with large diameter rolling elements were so common a hundred years ago, they better tolerate off axis bearing cups or cones). With so much distance (both in miles and in markets) between the final user and the source manufacturer that the feedback loop isn't what it was those hundred years ago only makes it less likely that a poor bearing fit up and install won't be corrected in a timely nature (like before that production run is finished).

This different preload and resulting feel is exactly the same with loose ball cup and cone angular contact bearings that most moderate and lower cost bike use these days (and were the standard across all price points only a couple decades ago). One can adjust the cup and cone bearings to freely spin even when well worn. It just takes reducing that preload enough. This is not the best way to service a cup and cone bearing but a method I (and many other mechanics) have done on so many poorly assembled and maintained bikes during tune ups. One aspect of servicing that a pro has a better understanding of is the "good enough" point and trading off cost of service against perceived benefits. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 02-11-24 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-11-24, 03:58 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
........Is "***" a similarly named bearing company?
Sometimes you just have to write Fischer's Automatische Gusstahlkugelfabrik.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-11-24, 07:16 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Sometimes you just have to write Fischer's Automatische Gusstahlkugelfabrik.
There's 3 s in Gussstahlkugelfabrik. Doesn't look right, but that's what it says on the company website and wiki. I don't speak Deutsch.
Old 02-11-24, 08:02 PM
FBinNY 

There's 3 s in Gussstahlkugelfabrik. Doesn't look right, but that's what it says on the company website and wiki. I don't speak Deutsch.
It has 3 sss because its actually 4 words. So you have the last 2 from guss and the first one from stahl.
Separated they would translate to:
Cast steel ball manufacturer.

But Germans like to combine multiple words when describing a single thing, like the way we say railroad, instead of rail road in english. For example while we say train station, Germans would say trainstation. (bahnhof), and maintrainstation.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-11-24 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-11-24, 11:26 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It has 3 sss because its actually 4 words. So you have the last 2 from guss and the first one from stahl.
Separated they would translate to:
Cast steel ball manufacturer.

But Germans like to combine multiple words when describing a single thing, like the way we say railroad, instead of rail road in english. For example while we say train station, Germans would say trainstation. (bahnhof), and maintrainstation.
Thanks! As logical as a DIN standard. Saves paper space in books.
Old 02-12-24, 09:37 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
It looks better written Gußstahl but that can be considered archaic, it's not how its taught in German schools.
Old 02-12-24, 11:27 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by grumpus
It looks better written Gußstahl but that can be considered archaic, it's not how its taught in German schools.
Thank you. And also, harder to key on an old Smith-Corona (I date myself). This electronic ink makes things so much easier.

(When commenting about inferior USA primary school education, versus Germany and Japan) "They think that with a fax, the paper is sent through the telephone lines. Idiots! Only the INK goes through the wires!" - Dave Barry
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-13-24, 05:18 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
While your statement is basically true, the time to failure can vary widely depending on bearing seal design, bearing quality, and maintenance. I'm used to not having to replace bearings over many tens of thousands of miles. But then I ride Campagnolo exclusively. YMMV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.