Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 07:07 AM
tnorman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego recommendation

I'm considering moving to San Diego and don't know much about the city yet. I've done some Googling but want to get some more personal advice. Can anyone here recommend a good place to live that's close to (or in) the city but also good for riding without having to drive somewhere? I'm a recreational road cyclist. Also any suggestions for good cycling routes and clubs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim
Old 03-14-09, 08:43 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Here are some local rides.
https://www.efgh.com/bike/rides.htm

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-14-09, 09:51 AM
David13

Bikes: DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego is a nice town. Once a year I take my bike on the Amtrak and stay just west of the park. Nice neighborhood around there.
I like Buckman Springs Road ... on the motorcycle. It's 50 miles out. But nice and woodsy.
dc
Old 03-14-09, 09:52 AM
robertkat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Depends of what sort of neighborhood you like, where you're going to be working, etc. In SD, if you can live close to work, it's nice. Do you have a place? House or apartment can be a big factor to. If you can afford it, North Park is nice, or Carlsbad. Two of my favorite areas, and close enough to the city and all the cycling you could shake a frame pump at.I live in Escondido. Not the most happening place but as far as cycling goes, I've got it all within riding distance or a quick hop on the train.
Old 03-14-09, 10:15 AM
IanInSD

Bikes: Colnago C40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would favor the UTC (University Towne Center) area for a number of reasons:
1) Work wise it's centrally located (30 minutes from the Oceanside, 30 minutes to the border). Also freeway traffic ends and stops here.
2) Cycling wise, you have Torrey Pines (10minutes 5% at 1 mile) near by for decent intervals as well as the coast ride or take the bicycle lanes inland to east / north county.
3) Rent - It really doesn't matter where you live in SD, rent is not that much more different between the areas, so why live in a crappy area? La Jolla is down the street and if you really need to congregate with nubile young flesh then Pacific Beach is about 10 minutes and downtown about 15 minutes.
4) Also, if your a golfer, Torrey Pines Muni fees are city prices ($55.00) whereas those losers in North County pay $100+ -> CRAZY!

Ian in SD (UTC to be exact)
Old 03-14-09, 03:23 PM
efficiency
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The good places to live in the city you have to ride a little ways to get to the best riding. There is great riding further out in the county (like in Escondido), but you're not really in the city there. North and South Park are nice, as is Kensington if you can afford it, but to get in really good riding you have to go a little further away from the city. Some of my favorites are in the northern part of the county, and it's not city living up there.
Old 03-14-09, 11:09 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you live along the coast there is a commuter train that runs from Oceanside south to downtown San Diego. You can take your bike on the train and cycle to work.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-14-09, 11:10 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another happy UTC resident.