Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alternate solution for lack of reach adjuster screw on brake lever

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 08:07 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts

I have a set of Shimano 600 brake levers I am giving to a friend. Her hands are quite small and unfortunately there is no reach adjuster screw on these levers.
I seem to remember some...wedges that can be used to hold the lever in a slightly closed position. For the life of me I cannot seem to find them, perhaps because I do not have the proper name for them.
Anyone know of these and a link?
Old 11-20-09, 08:38 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Specialized makes these:

https://www.specialized.com/ja/en/bc/...jsp?spid=30994
Which look to me as though they fit into the brifter.

Other types of shimming involve spacing out the upper edge of the brifter where it contacts the handlebar.
This can be done with a piece of rubber, but requires undoing the tape on the bars.
Old 11-20-09, 08:54 AM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You could try adjusting the caliper to bring the brake pads further away from the rim. This would make the brake lever come closer to the handlebar before the pads touch the rim. He would still have to reach a little to grab the brake lever, but he wouldn't have to stretch while braking.
Old 11-20-09, 09:54 AM
digger

Originally Posted by roughrider504
You could try adjusting the caliper to bring the brake pads further away from the rim. This would make the brake lever come closer to the handlebar before the pads touch the rim. He would still have to reach a little to grab the brake lever, but he wouldn't have to stretch while braking.
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't clear in my last post. They are NOT brifters, rather Shimano 600 aero brake levers. She will be using bar end shifters.

I'll take a look at those shims from Specialized, and if they do not quite fit, then perhaps they can be cut to fit.
Old 11-20-09, 10:16 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
I'll take a look at those shims from Specialized, and if they do not quite fit, then perhaps they can be cut to fit.
I doubt they will work. Seems like they're tailored for specific levers.
I would unwrap the bar tape and find something flexible but not too compressible to insert behind the top of the lever bases.
Some use a bit of rubber that come with bike computers for mounting and glue it to the bars.

Or buy these.

Cane Creek SCR-5compact.
Old 11-20-09, 10:22 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't clear in my last post. They are NOT brifters, rather Shimano 600 aero brake levers. She will be using bar end shifters.

If you're a tinkerer, I've seen people do this

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG+016.jpg (10.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 11-20-09, 12:29 PM
digger

Originally Posted by fuzz2050
If you're a tinkerer, I've seen people do this

[/I]

It just so happens I AM a tinkerer and have bee considering this option - of inserting a homemade wedge on top of the lever. looks like I will have to try that. Thanks though!

Digger.
Old 11-20-09, 01:31 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[/I]

It just so happens I AM a tinkerer and have bee considering this option - of inserting a homemade wedge on top of the lever. looks like I will have to try that. Thanks though!

Digger.
sweet, I'm sadly lacking on details as to how that was done. It looks like a rivet, but I don't exactly know. If you want guidance, I pulled that pic off this blog. Send him an email, he might be able to help.
Old 11-20-09, 03:21 PM
stevetone

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper, Felt F-70, lemond Buenos Aires, Trek T900 Tandem, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger
I doubt they will work. Seems like they're tailored for specific levers.
I would unwrap the bar tape and find something flexible but not too compressible to insert behind the top of the lever bases.
Some use a bit of rubber that come with bike computers for mounting and glue it to the bars.

Or buy these.

Cane Creek SCR-5compact.
I have these on one of my bikes -- does the job nicely for those with small hands.
Old 11-23-09, 05:57 AM
digger

Originally Posted by fuzz2050
sweet, I'm sadly lacking on details as to how that was done. It looks like a rivet, but I don't exactly know. If you want guidance, I pulled that pic off this blog. Send him an email, he might be able to help.
I was able to come up with something this weekend. It's not that pretty but essentially I have some very thin aluminum hanging around the basement. This aluminum was from some wind chimes that were damaged in a storm a few years back. I kept the aluminum pieces that made up they chimes, which are between 12 inches to 18 inches long and about 1 inch diameter.

I cut off a section, shaped it to fit down inside the brake and once shaped properly I super glued it in. It's not that pretty, but I'm not going to file it for prettiness until my friend determines if she is happy with the reach.

There is some adjustablity in what I have done by slightly bending the aluminum. I think though that she will find the reach ok.
Old 11-23-09, 01:20 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Remember that true short-reach brake-levers have a different pivot and leverage-ratio to pull the same amount of brake-cable with less lever-travel. This allows them to move the brake-caliper the same amount as regular levers. Regular levers pre-pulled with shims will not pull the same amount of cable with their reduced travel. You end up risking bottoming the lever against the handlebars before getting enough braking-force built up. If you shim a regular lever, you must adjust the cable so that the pads are as close to the rims as possible.

I've also had good luck with these levers. They're short-reach and pull more cable than normal, so no bottoming risks: Tektro RL520 ergo levers.