Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Heart rate and long rides

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Heart rate and long rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 10:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by crankarmbreaker
No, I start all my rides at the house and then go through the backroads of southeast King County, especially the areas around Kangley, Kanaskat and Cumberland. The topography and distance is equivalent to the Enumclaw-Wildwood stretch of RAMROD, and I figure if I get my time down on that, that'll be a time bonus there. If I drove to a start line in the middle of the week, I'd lose half of my available time to driving.

A couple of years ago I drove my car to Grove of the Patriarchs to practice Cayuse Pass in advance and found that it's really quite easy... when you haven't ridden 100 miles first. So I'm more interested in overall nutrition and pacing than I am at hill training. That way I don't show up at the foot of Cayuse half-dead (or so far behind schedule that the ARES guys are trying to sweep me).
Have you seen the ACE guide? https://www.roadbikerider.com/wp-con...CETraining.pdf
It's focused on the Death Ride, and RR is lots easier, but it's an interesting read. I'm trying his method this year, training using total weekly ascent as a metric. I'm at 5000' this week, 6250' next week (I hope).
Old 04-03-19, 02:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I've been on hills too steep for me, riding clipped in, where I haven't been able to unclip and have fallen over. I still have a scar on one elbow because of one of those falls.

I've taken steps to ensure that won't happen again, but the memory lives on.
Wow, yes that would be scary, especially after my broken wrist a year ago! I think that thought will be stuck in my head now --- Lol!